Justice (hopefully) on it's way.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by altmf, Dec 4, 2008.

1. altmf

altmf New Member

This is an associated press article but I doubt it made headlines outside of Massachusetts, even though it was front page nationwide when it happened:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A gun club and a police chief whose company sponsored a gun show have been indicted for involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 8-year-old Connecticut boy who accidentally shot himself with an Uzi.

Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury owns the COP Firearms & Training, which sponsored the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo last month at the Westfield Sportsman's Club. The club and two other men, Carl Guiffre of Hartford, Conn., and Domenico Spano, of New Milford, Conn., also were indicted on involuntary manslaughter charges. It was not immediately clear the role Guiffre and Spano played in the boy's death.

Christopher Bizilj (bah-SEAL') of Ashford, Conn., lost control of the 9mm micro submachine gun as it recoiled while he was firing at a pumpkin. He was attending the show with his older brother and father, who was standing 10 feet behind the boy preparing to take a photograph when the child fired the weapon.

"A Micro Uzi is made by and for the Israeli Armed Forces and is intended to meet the operational needs of Israeli Special Forces," Hampden District Attorney William Bennett said in a news release. "It is not a hunting weapon. It has a rate of fire of 1,700 rounds per second."

Fleury and the club also were indicted on four counts each of furnishing a machine gun to a minor. Fleury, Guiffre and Spano did not immediately return calls for comment. A man who answered the phone at the club said he was a member; he refused to identify himself and said no one wanted to talk.

The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people to the sporting club's 375-acre compound. An advertisement said it would include machine gun demonstrations and rentals and free handgun lessons. "It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site."You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control — "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL," the ad said.

The ad also said children under 16 would be admitted free, and both adults and children were offered free .22-caliber pistol and rifle shooting.

Christopher's father, Charles Bizilj, has said his son had experience firing handguns and rifles but the gun show was his first time with an automatic weapon. A certified instructor was with the boy at the time. The family did not immediately return a call for comment.

I just thought I would share that and we all could breathe a sigh of relief. It's very surprising to me that this type of event was allowed in my state considering our ridiculous firearm laws. I'm still learning them as I go. I've learned quite a bit from here already.

2. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Justice? Sounds like more cannon fodder for anti-gunnis

Father should be ashamed though. Stupid ****

3. johnsteele

johnsteele New Member

Father should be charged.

4. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

True but isn't losing his son because of his stupidity going to scar the bum for life?

Either way guy is worthy of the Darwin Award.

5. Hoplophile

Hoplophile New Member

Wow, that is one FAST rate of fire!

Assuming you buy ammo in bulk at 20 cents a round, you'd blow $340 per second holding down that trigger! Ouch.

Of course if the magazine holds 40 or 50 rounds, it would be empty in three hundredths of a second or less. No wonder the poor kid had trouble controlling the recoil.

Methinks District Attorney William Bennett has his facts wrong.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

It was a terrible mistake, the father was the irresponsible one, and law suits like this beget other more frivolous law suits. Dad has to live with his error in judgment for the rest of his life.

Let it go.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I agree. It was sad, stupid, and severely negligent. But let it go.

8. rfield

rfield New Member

1700 per minute would be more accurate.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yet another nit-wit making statements they know NOTHING about. 1,700 rounds a second? Really?! Do you realize what that would take? Moron. The Dillon M134, a six barreled, electronically driven, vehicle mounted machine gun is rated to fire 3,000 rounds in a minute. And that is one of the fastest shooting weapons on the planet.

Then because he has some title before his name, that makes it an "official" statement" and suddenly it's God's honest truth.

To the DA I have this advice: Go swallow a box of razor blades and do us all a favor.

JD

10. altmf

altmf New Member

Forget the lawsuit, all of the "responsible parties" involved should be sent upstate for their crap decision to let an 8 year old handle an uzi. Especially the police chief who sponsored the whole thing.

If I remember correctly from the first article the father is a doctor. I could be assuming wrong but doctors should be a little smarter than this, unless of course he's only a proctologist. That would explain why he had his head up his procto though.

I don't know about the judges in Westfield, MA but the judges over here in my city are ridiculous when it comes to any violent crime esp. when it involves handguns. Gun-toting drug dealers walk on $1000 bail every other day here. It's enough to make you think that the way of the vigilante is the only way to go.

Hopefully they all get what they deserve. As far as the father goes, he's going to be burned out having to live with the thought of where his actions have landed him.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The dangerous statement is that it's meant for Israeli operators. The next statement that wasn't made, but will be, is this: "This assault weapon has no civilian application, and shouldn't be in the hands of civilians".

Yes, a tradgedy. Charge the father. But I can already see where this one is going.

12. DuckA

DuckA New Member

I'm sure I'll catch heat for this, but I don't think anyone should be charged. Was it stupid? Absolutely. However, there really was no way anyone could have expected it to turn out like it did. It was a freak accident. I'm sure everyone involved knows they screwed up, especially the dad.

These machine gun shoots happen all of the time, with nothing like this happening. If you look on Youtube, you will see tons of videos of little kids shooting full auto weapons.

13. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Intelligence and common sense are two very different animals....

Myself, I've never fired a full-auto uzi. But I know what a full-auto uzi does when its fired on full-auto. I can also imagine that with a little common sense the average person would know what it does, and how to handle it as well...

However, I seem to recall reading that the father assumed that the small size meant the weapon wasn't capable of recoiling like it did.

He may be able to diagnose people with diseases and write prescriptions, but that doesn't equal common sense.

(for the record, I'm not dis-agreeing with your statement.)

As for the punishments, I say watching your son blow his brains out because of your failure to understand the danger involved with handling a full-auto uzi is punishment enough.

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

My guess is, the guy loved his son very much and everytime he hears a weapon go off he will be reminded of this tragedy. That is the ultimate punishment.

15. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

exactly...

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Hah, 1,700 rounds a second! What an idiot, I wish people would STFU if they don't know what they are talking about.

Personally, I don't think the event organizer should be held responsible for this. I mean come on it's not his fault the boy couldn't control it.

Maybe the father should be held accountable for not having a little more common sense.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  17. altmf

altmf New Member

common sense?

I would like to know what person involved (with handing an 8 year old boy a full-auto anything) has common sense. Not the father, police chief, "certified instructor", etc.

Would you let your child, nephew, niece, or neighbor's kid fire a fully auto firearm at the age of 8? I'm willing to bet your answer was no. Even a complete stranger to firearms should know that an 8 yr. old is more than likely too weak to fire XYZ fully auto weapon. Common sense doesn't come into play here at all, because none of the so-called responsible parties involved have any.

Regardless of the idea(l) of opening up the world of firearms to young Americans, I have got to say nay to hootananny machine gun shoots as the gateway drug to their second amendment. Every child will be different and a different path should be taken to get them involved if they are willing to do so.

I can't even begin to imagine the anguishing visual and damaging emotional effects of watching my son or any loved one die at the hands of extreme irresponsibility.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  18. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

That's one bogus rate of fire. An M61A1 fires at 100 rounds per second. The Micro MIGHT fire 1,700 per minute.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I smell an anti-gun rat in the house.

First The police chief didn't hand the kid a uzi now did he?

Second the father made the dicission to let the kid shoot the uzi. If the father didn't know how the firearm acted and reacted then he should have fired it first.

At 8 years old I was shooting 30-06, 45-70, and many other high powered rifles. Could I have handeled a full auto maybe.

I see no reason to hand out any punishment to anyone. The instructure and the father have to live with the fact that a dicission they made cost a child his life.

20. DuckA

DuckA New Member

That's kind of what I was thinking. People have to be careful about what they say before letting their brains engage. That is the liberals' SOP. Pressing charges and making new "You have to be this old before...." laws only puts us one step closer to what the anti's want in the first place.