just wondering

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by outlaw206, Oct 22, 2013.

1. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

How did the old armory's engrave there weapons such as a 1860 colt i understand it was most likely done by hand but was it done with a hand engraver or a more primitive type machine that was operated by hand

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Outlaw,

In the day the engravers were truly artists and craftsmen. We only have a few today with this skill. But they did the engraving by hand which was a very tedious and time consuming task. Taking days, months and sometimes longer to complete.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There is engraving (literally, carving away steel) and there is stamping. A hardened steel stamp is struck against the softer metal. THAT gets you things like a brand name, address, and serial number. There were also roll marks, where things like a cylinder would have a designed rolled onto it- again by hardened steel dies.

True engraving was (except on very high dollar custom made guns) an addition charge item. The process of real engraving has not changed a lot- except better lighting for the engraver. Small chisels held in hand, struck by small hammer, held in the hand (of an artist). There is a powered chisel (Gravermeister is one I recall) that comes close.

We have been fortunate in the past to have a visiting member, Mr. Ken Hurst. I was lucky enough to visit Mr. Hurst's shop in Campbell County VA. He asked me to leave as my constant drooling was rusting the guns.

Want to see some of his work- and the mysterious KH himself? https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...howflat%26Number%3D93217%26page%3Dall;425;640

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I do a little bit of engraving.
    Mr. Hurst is a Master engraver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. c3shooter

Bill- that is very nice work! Got any more pics?

6. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Thank you! There are a few more on billdeshivs.com I think.

7. c3shooter

Interesting site, Bill. Did not know you were a cutler. Still have one of those weird orange handled pocket knives with the hooked blade. Damage to my back made me quit jumping, but still have my suspension line cutter.

8. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Damage to my back is about to keep me from doing anything! Serious pain from a bulged disc!
    An orange MC-1 Was my first auto.
    Thank you for your kind remarks.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Very nice work -- both the engraving and knives.

10. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

Thank you gentlemen for the info im thinking about trying my hand at this and bill them are awesome

11. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I had this done by a local man.

Attached Files:

12. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Very nice, but it appears to be machine engraving rather than hand engraving.

13. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

14. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

It is hand done. I watched part of it.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

16. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

No, I don't know how he got started, but I supplied a set of wings off my old uniform. I suppose he sketched out whatever he needed. Notice that they are different sizes. I suppose he could have used a scanner. He does a lot of different items. I met him at the Slidell Gun Show earlier this year.
    I bought the gun from a good acquaintance that needed money. It is a Caspian Arms build. It was in perfect cosmetic condition, but needed 3 trips to a 'smith to get the slide, trigger, bushing and sights tuned up. Then I had the engraving done. All told, I have about $1700 in it, but it was a work of love and it shoots great.

17. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Shot yesterday.

Attached Files:

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well he did a hell of a job.
    Shoots good too.
    Very nice.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

every time i see that pistol, the more i like it. very well done on the engraving. simple and elegant looking.

20. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Thank you........