just wondering?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by shootitout, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Im looking at DSA sa58 and I like how the 16in. Barrel looks but I was wondering if the 21in. Makes a huge difference in accuracy or if the 16 works well.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its not accuracy your giving up its velocity. all it means is your max range will be shorter by a few hundred yards and you get less thump on the target.

the concussion and muzzle blast from a short 16" barrel in 308 is rather unpleasent with a muzzlebrake. if you go 16 opt for a good flash hider your gonna need it.

my opinion: the whole point of a 308 is to hit the target harder at longer range than the 5.56. if your gonna go short might as well go 5.56 and get rid of the weight too. when i was going through the angst of deciding on short vs long barrel for my latest attempt at a 308 i might like, i went with a 24" barrel to get the most out of the cartridge.

3. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Thanks also there are a bunch of stuff you can add on like blackened stainless steal of most of the gun do u think that it really inverses the guns life.

4. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

Jon,

So what's your choice on a .308 if you don't mind my asking. AR platform? My next purchase will be a .308 semi and I'm finding the decision tough.

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Also the scar 17 and ar10 are in 308 the fal was the one I was looking at because it is tested for over 50 years and I like the look and feel.