Just wondering

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Jul 26, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Ok I just got my first Ak and was Thinking since I have about 400$ extra was wondering if I could build one (for fun ) and was thinking if saiga has a Ak kit how much it would be and what are some tips for my first and what I should get thanks
    SmithKid

2. nearwolf

nearwolf New Member

There are AK "parts kits" all over the place. Then there are several suppliers of AK receivers which are FFL items so would have to be bought through a dealer. There are strict legal aspects to building an AK, referred to as 922r (BATF's rules on US and non-US parts used). You can also convert a Saiga to AK configuration but again you're required to comply with 922r.. do a search for that first and make sure you know what you're getting into. Then a search for AK tutorials will give you access to the build information.

3. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

So do you want a saiga conversion or a parts kit?

because there completely different.
    1. A saiga is a AK that was configured into a sport platform so they could import it and conversions are pretty easy if you have some basic tools and time
    dremill, screw driver, punch so on.
    2. A parts kit is a AK usually a full gun that was de-milled with a cut receiver and no barrel (usually now a days)
    Are you going for a ak-47 or a different variant?

4. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

400 dollars extra you say... i say 400 worth of ammo!!!!

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Hey Smithkid it sounds like you got the fever bad, wanting to build already.:eek:
    So OK here is the best first build type kit that I know of.IMHO;)
    Romanian G AK-47 Parts Kit
    It is a Romy G parts kit with matching numbers & original barrel.
    The first question is do you have access to any tools such as, drill press, bench vice, angle grinder, hydraulic press, etc...?
    And question two is, have you done any metal working before?
    Answering these two questions as completely as possible will help me tell you what kind of build will be easiest for your first build.

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Yes I do have access to those tools and I have done metal work

8. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

If you have access to a spot welder you can go with a flat if not you will need to buy a nodak receiver.
    You can buy your 922r parts from this guy.
    RCM Gun Parts
    He only charges $5 flat rate shipping.
    The 922r law states that an AK build of this type can only have 10 imported parts. So you will need to replace 6 parts with US made parts.
    Most builders on a budget go with replacing the 1. receiver,(you will need a new one anyway) 2-4.FCG (this is three parts trigger, disconector, hammer)
    5. grip, 6. muzzle brake.

9. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I have all acess to all of these tools and I would have bought a receiver anyway

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Here are some good videos to give you the process of AK building.
    This guy uses some high dollar tools but the build can be done with tools you have around the house.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK?blend=2&ob=1#g/u]‪BuildyourownAK's Channel‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]