Just took my Conceal Class Today

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by m260gt, Oct 16, 2010.

1. m260gt

m260gt New Member

took about 3 hours in the class and was very informative. had to go to the range and shoot a 357 magnum. I just need to send in the paperwork and wait till my license comes in :)

2. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Good deal. I would recommend going with the electronic finger prints. Tallahasee works much faster with them, and it costs the same. Should take you about three weeks after you send it in.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You said, "had to shoot a 357." In Florida, is there a range component to the licensure process? That seems like an unwarranted barrier to me.

I'd like to know more.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Congrats. Be sure to read the sticky at the top of this section. A must read IMHO.

5. m260gt

m260gt New Member

I already did the ink ones at the show. i figured they had everything there, photo, fingerprints, and the class. the teacher said it takes about 4 weeks to get it back.

yes there was a range portion to class. we had to show we knew how to safely discharge a firearm. only had to shoot one shot tho so nothing special.

will do. thanks!

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Can anybody give me a good reason for this one? One round? What are they checking for? Are they standing in the lane with you or in the next room just waiting for you to go bang and come back?

This just seems like a silly hoop made up by anti-gun libs because they couldn't get a stronger control through their legislature.

7. m260gt

m260gt New Member

yeah it was pretty pointless, and made it cost an extra 5 bucks. but the guy was standing next to everyone as they shot. it was to get a certificate for gun safety, which we have to send in as one of the items. so that was the reason behind it.

8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

That must have just been a part of the specific class you took, not Florida law. I live in Florida and there was no range session required to get your CCL. As a matter of fact, if you wanted the class to include a range trip, then the class cost $35 more.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

And if someone is on food stamps, maybe the state buys their single bullet? I could imagine a lefty coming up with that.

Totally off-topic, but in Oregon we have a ballot measure for legal marijuana "dispensaries." Get this...if someone has a medical mj card, the state would subsidize their marijuana purchases through this bill. Can you imagine the awesome, titanic stupidity of taxes going toward weed?

10. m260gt

m260gt New Member

idk but the class was 60 bucks. it included the range fee, fingerprinting, and picture taking.

11. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Welcome to the club!

The added bonus to passing the test is if you get pulled over the leo's will
    cut you loose very fast since you have passed a background check! :D

12. Sooie

Sooie New Member

The class I took was 8 hours. $60

We went over the laws and normal things, situations, then went over safety after lunch and had to qualify on the pistol range. We had to shoot at least 78% Center mass to get passed.

Then we held our targets while they took a picture of you and the target for their records. While we were in the class, his
    Wife did all of our paperwork and put it in a folder ready for mail. All we had to do was sign it and mail it.

13. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Sounds like you may have paid some administrative fees. :D

14. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Responsible

congratulations; we all should be responsible, :)

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I live in Florida and did the electronic fingerprinting as well. Mine came back in 13 days from the day I mailed it out which really surprised me. My parents and sisters took about 2 months or so. Hope yours comes pretty quick.

-Fred

16. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Every local govt has their own little twist to the process.

Here in Ky, the class is $75.00. With a range requirement. The range has the option to charge a fee for the range time. I think mine was 10 rounds at 21 feet, needed to score a majority center mass.

Then comes the application fee, which I think mine was $65.00, includes finger printing, 10 years ago but the electronic type. THEN the local sheriff has the balls to charge a $10.00 fee for the freakin passport photo. Other counties allow you to bring it in. Jefferson County nickel and dimes you to death. then wait up to 6 weeks, back 10 years ago, for a "Flash Pack" mailing telling you to come down town and pick it up.

17. Sooie

Sooie New Member

Got my license in the mail today!

18. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Awesome!!!

19. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Welcome to the family. Keep ur powder dry, you might just need it someday soon.

20. Sooie

Sooie New Member

yeah, i hope i dont ever have to use it unless im at the range.