Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If money were no object, and you had a desire for extreme accuracy at long ranges (in excess of 1,000 yards), what would you buy/build, type, style, brand, action, stock, scope, etc...and why?

The only criteria I would place on this hypothetical dream would be, no 50 BMG or other massive cartridges that would kick a mule into the next county...

And....go!

Registered
If money was no object, this would be my choice for an ELR rifle - The Chetac M200 Intervention with the Deployment kit that includes the 375 and 408 Cheytec barrel's. Scope would be a Tangent Theta 5-25x56 along with a Charlie TARAC scope prism.
You're only looking at around $25k for the whole setup!

Premium Member
Thought for a moment this was about catching catfish鈥:rolleyes:

I would like to have room to fire at that distance in my local area, then I could work on refining my abilities with my Savage 10 FCP with a Viper optic. Rather than spend more I would think if I work at it the rifle will perform admirably as it alway has, but I need to hone my skills. Money isn鈥檛 the issue for me.

A poor rifleman with a top notch gun and glass will never match a good rifleman with average gun and glass.

Premium Member
If money was no object, this would be my choice for an ELR rifle - The Chetac M200 Intervention with the Deployment kit that includes the 375 and 408 Cheytec barrel's.
That .375 Cheytac round has been making "dents" in the extreme long range records the past handful of years. Taking on quite a following. From what I can tell, it's still supersonic well past 2000yds.

Scope would be a Tangent Theta 5-25x56 along with a Charlie TARAC scope prism.
Haven't heard much of the Tangent scopes.

@Txhillbilly , from what you've heard (or experienced), what makes this particular scope much different than, say, any "top" scopes you've looked at?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read an article on PRS shooters. The top ranked shooters are running Nightforce, Kahle's and Vortex (in that order). I've never heard of the Tangent scopes...and at their price range, they darn well better be absolutely perfect!

Supporting Member
Hydro,
I would get a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with 20MOA Scope Base and a Night Force Scope in 15X55X52. 30mm Tube Scope for long range precision! I was so impressed with the demo rifle we had at one of the LE Sniper Schools if I ever needed another rifle and for the value, I would certainly get one!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've always thought the Cheytac system was awesome...maybe one day...that's a good chunk of cheddar for one. Certainly a top pick (I was wondering if anyone would pick it, lol).

Registered
Read an article on PRS shooters. The top ranked shooters are running Nightforce, Kahle's and Vortex (in that order). I've never heard of the Tangent scopes...and at their price range, they darn well better be absolutely perfect!
Tangent Theta started up in 2013, The owner's come from Premier Optics background. Premier was once one of the best scopes on the market before they went out of business.

Yes, And most of the top 100 PRS shooter's are also Sponsored, so they will shoot whatever gear is given to them.
You've probably never heard of ZCO - Zero Compromise Optic's either, but they are ranked as one of the best precision rifle scopes made also. The PRS article that you read must be a couple years old, because there are a bunch of the top shooter's using ZCO scopes.

I don't pay attention to anything PRS article related, because I don't have any interest in PRS matches. I enjoy shooting long range, and I'm a optics junkie. I enjoy using high end glass and do a lot of homework before spending $3k+ on scopes.

Registered
The Tangents & ZC scopes are the newer ULTRA expensive lines. They are quintessential example of law of diminishing return, costing $5K, $6K! Very much a 鈥淟ook at me鈥 thing. Because honestly, looking through one of these and other Top Tier glass no person can see the difference.

Well, how far past 1000 are we talking? If you bean like 1500yds, I鈥檇 still have what I have now. 260 Rem. Actually 260AI.
Hinestly, I鈥檇 have what I have now. I build what I want. Some of the things I use are the most expensive. Like my Chassis for example. I use the Mirage URL. But other things, not so much. I would however, choose different glass. My hard line in the sand for optics is around $1K, as it is now. If money were of no concern, I鈥檇 have the IOR Valdada Recon Tactical 4-28x50.

The ULTRA expensive, exotic & lavish rifles/gear just doesn鈥檛 excite me. I rather have something I built myself. The most expensive is not always the best. The AR15 is a great example. I will take the AR I manufacture ANY day over the top contenders, Knights Arm., LMT, etc.

Registered
The Tangents & ZC scopes are the newer ULTRA expensive lines. They are quintessential example of law of diminishing return, costing $5K, $6K! Very much a 鈥淟ook at me鈥 thing. Because honestly, looking through one of these and other Top Tier glass no person can see the difference.

Well, how far past 1000 are we talking? If you bean like 1500yds, I鈥檇 still have what I have now. 260 Rem. Actually 260AI.
Hinestly, I鈥檇 have what I have now. I build what I want. Some of the things I use are the most expensive. Like my Chassis for example. I use the Mirage URL. But other things, not so much. I would however, choose different glass. My hard line in the sand for optics is around $1K, as it is now. If money were of no concern, I鈥檇 have the IOR Valdada Recon Tactical 4-28x50.

The ULTRA expensive, exotic & lavish rifles/gear just doesn鈥檛 excite me. I rather have something I built myself. The most expensive is not always the best. The AR15 is a great example. I will take the AR I manufacture ANY day over the top contenders, Knights Arm., LMT, etc.
How little you know about high end optics, Dave.
The TT and ZCO scopes that I've had the opportunity to use put my S&B's and Recon to shame. If you can't visually see the difference, then you either don't know how to properly setup a scope or there is something wrong with your vision.
Are they worth the price? Only if you can afford to buy them.

That's like saying Purdey & Sons and Holland & Holland firearms aren't worth the price. They've been making them for a couple centuries, so there are many people that think they are worth the price.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did some checking on the Cheytac. I remember when it first came out and the awesome shooting it did, but considering its price, never really looked at it closer. Unfortunately, it seems Cheytac is having some quality control issues and there've been some problems with their rifles. One fellow bought one in 375 and after only 3 rounds, the bolt wouldn't open. Cheytac told him it just needed breaking in. He sent the rifle back and they offered to fire 30 rounds through it to break it in. When he got it back, it went a few more rounds and started sticking again. The bipod collapses when fired and it would only hit a 995 yard 24x24 plate less than 50% of the time. The shooter is not a novice and he has videos of him popping small plates at 2000 yards with a 338 Lapua Mag one after another in rapid fire, so the guy can shoot.

However, that 375 Cheytac, man, that thing is a beast...but there are some interesting wildcats based on that cartridge. 375 Enabelr is one. Slightly shortened and slightly wider, but shoots much longer bullets that won't fit in the Cheytac action. If money were no object, I'd probably consider a custom build on something like that.

Premium Member
If money were no object, and you had a desire for extreme accuracy at long ranges (in excess of 1,000 yards), what would you buy/build, type, style, brand, action, stock, scope, etc...and why?

The only criteria I would place on this hypothetical dream would be, no 50 BMG or other massive cartridges that would kick a mule into the next county...

And....go!
This guy right here...
Gesture Toy Machine Auto part Fashion accessory

Registered
How little you know about high end optics, Dave.
The TT and ZCO scopes that I've had the opportunity to use put my S&B's and Recon to shame. If you can't visually see the difference, then you either don't know how to properly setup a scope or there is something wrong with your vision.
Are they worth the price? Only if you can afford to buy them.

That's like saying Purdey & Sons and Holland & Holland firearms aren't worth the price. They've been making them for a couple centuries, so there are many people that think they are worth the price.
Actually鈥. There is something wrong with my vision. My left eye is 100% blind from a bad reaction to a surgery & my right is severely corrected with astigmatism. So, thanks for that. :sneaky:

Looking past your condescension, I honestly believe YOU do see a difference. I鈥檓 telling you I don鈥檛. Here鈥檚 the thing.. scopes can鈥檛 CONTINUE getting more & more clear. It doesn鈥檛 work like that. It can鈥檛. I鈥檓 telling you a $6K scope will NOT make you any more accurate over a comparable $3K scope.. And if you think It can, your theory is not based in truth.

Puts the Valdada to shame Huh? Oh.. and impugning my capacity for firearms knowledge & accompanying products as 鈥渋nferior鈥 is simply disingenuous. And you know that! ;) Not too long ago, I did defer to others, including you, on some aspects of rifle scopes. But then I learned a little more. Research, that is. Sporting optics are some convoluted, intrinsically difficult to understand topic! It鈥檚 not ASTRO-PHYSICS or THERMODYNAMICS for goodness sake! (Which I know something about as well, if you鈥檇 like to learn? LOL!) Research a topic for many hours a day, for several months & you鈥榣l pretty much know most that is written about said topic.

Registered
Looking past your condescension, I honestly believe YOU do see a difference. I鈥檓 telling you I don鈥檛. Here鈥檚 the thing.. scopes can鈥檛 CONTINUE getting more & more clear. It doesn鈥檛 work like that. It can鈥檛. I鈥檓 telling you a $6K scope will NOT make you any more accurate over a comparable $3K scope.. And if you think It can, your theory is not based in truth.
As usual, You just like to argue about things that are out of your set price point of buying. You are correct in that scopes only transmit so much light thru them, and the glass can only be so clear.
The coatings used on the lenses are where the differences can be seen as well as how well the internal components are assembled.
My Steiner T5Xi scope is a prime example. It has Chromatic Aberration issues, as well as Parallax issues that evidently can't be fixed by Steiner / Bushnell, and it's a $2500 scope. Other than these issue's, it's a badazz scope. Too bad, I have scopes in the $500 - $1000 range that blow it out of the water because they don't have the same issues.

You and I both love building rifle's using Savage action's. They are very affordable, accurate, and easy to work on. But, I also like building rifle's using Custom action's. Both do the same thing, but the custom action's just do it a lot better and without any of the factory Savage action issues that they are known for having.
Same thing with optics, You like less expensive scopes - under $1k, I don't!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TxHillybilly, scopes are one thing, especially high dollar ones, I have the least experience with. I have looked through somem pricey scopes and they looked decent, but a quick look is a whole different thing than actually using them at the range, etc. In your opinion, what is the best scope in the $1,500 or less price range you'd recommend for long range paper punching or ringing steel at the range?

Right now, the best scope I own is a Vortex Venom 5-25x. To me, it's a pretty nice scope, but I'm ready to venture into something a little better.

Yeah, this thread isn't totally fantasy, I am looking to get something for very long range shooting (but certainly not the no holds barred stuff up in the multiple thousands of dollars...I just figured someone would ultimately suggest something that would fit my budget).

At the moment, based on the research I've done so far, I've decided I want something in 6.5 Creedmoor and the two rifles I'm looking at hard are the Ruger Precision rifle and the Bergara LRP. I want to top them with something perhaps a bity nicer than my Vortex Venom. Don't care about iluminated reticles and all that as this will strictly be a paper puncher/steel ringer, no hunting or anything like that.

Registered
Hydro, The best bang for the buck scopes in the $1500 - $2k range would be scopes like the Athlon Cronus BTR, Delta Stryker HD, Tract Toric. All of these scopes are produced in Japan by LOW, and are very good scopes.
The Leupold Mark 5 is also a good choice, but as with anything Leupold, you're paying for the name - it runs right at $2k and isn't any better than the others.
The Burris XTR's as well as the Bushnell DMR & XRS series scopes are also in this class of scopes.

Pick the one that has the feature's and reticle that you like and it will serve you well

1 - 20 of 79 Posts