Just signed up for ccw

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Gojubrian, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The class is pretty much all day saturday sept. 19th. They have been pretty filled up too from what I hear.

We'll be shooting from 3, 5, and 7yards both hands and single. That's pretty much all I know.

I'll probably be using a beretta 92f 9mm unless I can get the kimber and practice before then.

Anything else I need to know? What was your class like?

There are lots of other states that support our ccw laws as well.

It's on now.

2. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Mine was very long and very boring.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's kind of what I figured. Luckily, I'm bringing a friend along to pass the time. :)

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Mine too was long and boring, I spent most of the time in a classroom. The instructor did a good job trying to keep things moving but it was still long. I had a friend with me as well which definately helped. Good luck!

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Goju the classes are usually long and boring during the first half of the class discussing function, lecture and law parts, but dude, there is some important stuff contained in there and.... you can pose questions to your instructor that will reflect how well he does/does not know his chit and loves what he does, or if he is in it for the money, attention and could care less reasons. :)

Jack

6. layton

layton New Member

When I took the class, it was 10 hrs long, the first thing we did was the timed firing, then after we did the fingerprint/photo bit, then the noterizing, then in the classroom, the instructor spiced it up some with what would you do scenaries, then we had an open discussion on it, then he would give his own experiences, was not that boring, but it is all according to the instructor.

Layton

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Utah non resident class I went to had no live fire requirement. Consequently, the permit isn't good for Nevada which requires live fire training. However, it is recognized by over thirty states. :D

...and of course I'm in CA where I can barely carry a pocketnife. :(

The class, being essentially a six hour lecture was kind of boring, but obviously a necessity.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thankfully, Georgia doesn't require a training class to get a GFL. As I also own property in SC, and since they don't recognize the GA permit, I'll have to go to their class in the future. Not sure I'll actually learn anything but sometimes you just have to fill the square...

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

My class was 10 hours long, but it was done in one day!

10. WDB

WDB New Member

WA doesn't require a class or a reason for your license nor do you have to express what firearm you will carry conseled. It's a background check and if you pass that your conseled license is good for five years, renew is even easier. When you buy a new pistol you do background check, if you have a CPL you get to take it home the same day, if you don't it's a three day wait. Considering most would consider WA a liberal state we got it pretty SWEET when it comes to the ability to enjoy our 2A:D

Congrats Goju on taking the step!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks for all the responses and info guys.

:cool:

12. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

I want a CCP. I can't get one because Wisconsin is full of liberals.

The Badger Herald: News: Still no go for concealed weapons in Wisconsin

I don't get it. If criminals are arming themselves either way, wouldn't you want to be able to fight back? The liberal left in my state has the mentality of "Oh you don't need a gun." Or "We don't want gang wars on our streets." They never thought about what they are going to do when someone else pulls a gun on them in public, or if they are caught in the middle of a robbery or some other crime, or get carjacked. Or ever look at the fact that nearly all conceal carry permit holders are law-abiding citizens. The only person in our state who is doing ANYTHING to help gun laws is that J.B. Van Hollen in that he's trying to make it harder for the police to give out disorderly conduct tickets for open carry. Then you got that ****in idiot Jim Doyle... I won't even get started on him. Cops can get conceal carry permits. I don't get why we trust ex-cops more than law-abiding citizens. There are crooked cops that shouldn't be trusted with a squad car much less a gun. And if ex-cops are allowed to carry, why are citizens not? Don't most conceal carry permit classes require you to have training on the range?

Even there, I do not see why we need a permit to protect ourselves with deadly force. The government does not reserve the right to tell us we can protect ourselves. The 2nd Amendment says we have the right to bear arms, meaning carry guns. If anything, I want open and concealed carry without a license. If it does mean huge gang shootouts or increases in crime, then there will be more armed citizens instead of a small police force who is not there to stop a crime in progress.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  13. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

What is the worst that could happen should I conceal carry here in Wisconsin? I would think it's probably a felony of some type. Open carry is legal, but even there, you can get a ticket for disorderly conduct if people get freaked out by it, which usually happens quite frequently if you live more in the city. Out in the country, people don't really care unless you're out shooting off guns at 12am when everyone is asleep.

14. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Spent the first 3 hours watching film of probably the most boring lawyer the state had explaining state law and different scenarios. Instructor taught next day for about 5 hours. Real life happenings. Different spin on the law. Then shot 1,3,5 and 7 yards. Learned some that will be real usful.

15. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Got a call from the sheriff's office today. My Concealed Carry had been approved and I could pick up the permit any time. Didn't waste any time getting there. Now I am legal and will not feel naked any more.

16. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

FML. My parents are so far left I can't even HAVE a handgun, much less carry one in my state open OR concealed. It's all fine and dandy when I want to go hunting, but they think a handgun is pointless? I said I want one so I can go shoot with my friends from work... But there goes my liberal parents again with the "Oh you don't need a gun" talk. Or the "I don't want a gun in my house" talk, yet my father owns three guns himself - a shotgun, and two rifles (30-06 and a .22). Is there ANY way I can get them to at least see things my way? I guess because I want to own and shoot a handgun and exercise my constitutional rights, I must be a nut or crazy or something.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  17. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

Is anyone gonna answer my **** or am I just talking to a wall?

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Move out! [​IMG]

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

LOL! Sorry man, I was at the store or I would posted back sooner. ALright here it goes. The only real advice I can give is two things. First off, you try your damdest to talk them into letting you own one in their house. Explain why you want one and for what purpose. Im sure by now you have a Idea of what they will say in rebuttle. Back your case up with facts. Live in a high crime area? bring that into the equation. Make it clear that your willing to do what they want you to, if it will make them comfortable with it, at least untill you move out. Which brings me to your second option, move out. I know this isnt always a viable option, but its a option none the less. Maybe take your dad (you said he had several firearms) to the gun range w/your friends so he can see your safe with them. Build his confidence in your ability to handle a gun. These are the things I did and it worked for me :D

Best of luck to you!

20. Kain

Kain Member

Opinions are something that everyone has, and nothing short of a "life altering" experience is likely to change someone's opinion. You have about as much chance of swaying their opinion as they have of altering yours. You can try, and you may even get lucky. But since you describe them as "so far left" at best you'd get them to a moderate position. But, when you leave the nest you become the master of your own life. Be patient...you won't be living at home THAT much longer...will you? Just save money now so you can get what you really want when the time comes.