just shot my ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by TooStrongTerry, Feb 1, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

I shot federal bulk and that **** jammed every clip sometimes more than once. I also shot Remington thunderbolts...it was a little better but not much. Every other clip. And was WAY OFF sights. High and to the left. WHAT THE HELL. HELP.

@TooStrongTerry

2. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Terry, "jammed" can mean several things. Can you be more specific? And were the "jams" consistent in nature?
    What brand/type of magazines are you using?
    As for the POA vs POI, maybe your sights need adjusting.

Rufus

3. TooStrongTerry

Sorry. When I opened the chamber and placed in the BX-25 mag and closed the bolt a cartridge got stuck. I had to remove the mag and replace the cartridge. Then when everything was loaded...about after 5 shots the cartridge would get stuck in the action again. I have the original mag it came with and one that I purchased the same day. Same mag.

Question...my rear sights don't exactly move. There looks like a little slide in the middle of it with a screw. That's the only thing I could possibly move. And that being said I don't think I can adjust the height just to the left or right.

@TooStrongTerry

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Terry did you take it aparts and clean everthing good and relube? Get the thicker grease out, clean the barrel and chamber and same with the bolt. Then try a better class of ammo. CCi mini-mags tend to run well. Give the remington stuff a brake. It is some of the dirtist ammo out and many guns don't allways shoot bulk box's well when new.. And not accurately then. Do you also have the 10 shot maxs to try too?

Just try to get it shooting first but allways start with a nice clean firarm.

5. TooStrongTerry

I wiped it down but I did not clean it thoroughly. 10 round max? What do u mean? And I guess I can adjust the height but not the opposite. I just field stripped it n cleaned it. It was filthy. I'm gonna try n bring it to the range this Friday and see if it shoots.

@TooStrongTerry

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

10 round factory mags. Can you post a pic of the sights front and back?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

7. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

My 10/22 loves the Federal Bulk ammo. The least friendly 22's in mine are the Remingtons. The best are the CCI mini mags 40gr. 22's do get mucked up after a while and need to be thoroughly cleaned, including the mags. You have one of the most reliable/accurate carbines on the market. Give it a little love and you will be happy.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless they have changed very recently, the Ruger rear sight has 2 small screws that you loosen to raise or lower the rear sight blade. If you are shooting high, lower the rear sight blade. The sight has to drifted to adjust right or left. The rear sight blade also has 2 different notches so you can flip the blade for the notch you like best. Make sure the front sight is centered in its slot. You can get some side to side adjustment there too. They used to come with a scope rail. I dont know if they still do. There are 4 small filler screws on top of the action that have to be removed to attach a scope base. Red dots work great on 10-22's. I like the Bushnell TRS25, about $85 on Amazon. Since there is not a lot of recoil, the cheaper ones will work too but dot quality is not always great.

9. TooStrongTerry

How do I drift the rear sight? And Marlin I'll take a pic for u soon. And yes I'm using the factory mags.

@TooStrongTerry

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Tap it sideways in the barrel dovetails.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You TAP it over with a hammer and a non marring drift pin like brass or you use a sight pusher. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to move.

12. TooStrongTerry

Tap the sight?

@TooStrongTerry

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes. Set your tap against the sight base and gently tap it in the direction you want it to go

14. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

At the base where it sits in the dovetail.

15. TooStrongTerry

Like I tried tapping the base but it wasn't working. Can you be more specific on "base"? Cuz it ain't moving lol

@TooStrongTerry

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Base is at the knife point. The part the flip down part you line up w the front post.

ForumRunner_20120201_211400.jpg

17. TooStrongTerry

Alright I'll try it. My girls family is in town and I'm not allowed to have my guns in the house so whenever I get a minute I'll mess with it

@TooStrongTerry

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you wish to stay with open sights go here -http://www.tech-sights.com/
    Check out there peep sights.

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

That's an early sign that you might not keep that gal unless she's Pro-gun and just her libtard parents aren't ;)

There are screw-adjustable sights available in the aftermarket...AKA Target Sights.
    TONS to choose from for the 1022...pick what you like the best!

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hold the ****ing hell on...
    Your INLAWS tell you what you can and can't do in YOUR house? Or am I totally misunderstanding this?