Just realized I'm an idiot not to hunker down

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by jsanders, Aug 31, 2009.

1. jsanders

jsanders New Member

I'm 50 yrs old and have grown up in the country in the south. I live on a small 13 acre farm 30 miles away from a couple of cities. I have thought I would bug out and go to our lake house. WHAT? I must have lost my mind!

I think the main thing I learned here reading your posts is I live in the perfect hunker down place. I now have to figure out how to be the place people are coming to.

All I have to say is they better contribute or be a target.

2. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Good choice. Bugging in is MUCH easier in pretty much all circumstances then bugging out.

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Depends.

If you are bugging in inside of a very populated area, you are sealing your fate. Sooner or later, you'll get over-run.

Bugging in if you are in a remote area isn't a bad idea, though, as long as your can monitor all of your land with good consistency.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Affirmative the Sgt. is right spot on. Woods, plains, mountains and the great outdoors is where you want to be. Always take the high point, stay stealthy and continued recon to be familiar with your AO and your foe's movements. ;)

Jack

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I said it is always easier, I didn't say it is always better ;) .

But, ponder this:

Say someone lives in a city, and leaves his stores of food and ammo at home to try to speed off in his vehicle with a few weeks of food and a fraction of the supplies. Then, as would be likely, he get stuck in traffic / his car breaks down / he gets in a wreck, etc. Now he are far worse off than he would have been, even in an apartment. How he is just part of the panicking mob at the onset of disaster.

Or hell, what if he is actually one of the first to bug out? What if he hears reports of "strange behavior in China" on the news, and decides to immediately skip town? In the likely event that it turns out to be no big deal, what will happen to his job when he just doesn't show up for a few days because he was out in the woods? Will his excuse of "I thought zombies were rising" be good enough? While not directly important, credibility must also be considered. If he drags his wife and kids out into the woods, when something real happens in the future, they would not likely be as enthusiastic about following him which, as one could imagine, would be very detrimental to survival.

Unless somehow that man has some kind of early warning for something really bad about to happen, chances are he'll decide its time to leave about when everyone else does. He would be much better off staying past at least the first onset of the event, provided the event itself does not prevent one from living in his home (natural disaster like a flood or hurricane, for example). The bugging-in time could vary, of course, Im just saying bugging out as soon as trouble starts to rise might not always be the best idea.

6. jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Hey to each of you. I am new to the gun community and have a lot of learning and catching up to do. I have been reading a lot of these threads with interest and this one brings up a few questions. I live in Portland (liberalville) and for me it would be pretty hard to head for the hills so to speak if the shtf. For one I think everyone is going to try and do that, so maybe it would be safer to hold up here with the fam? If I was single again I would not even worry, but with three little ones it is a much harder task. what say you?

7. user4

user4 New Member

First off, welcome to the community. Head on over to the "introduction" section and say howdy so we can give you a proper welcome.

I was born and raised in Portland, and it doesn't matter if every person you know moved out to the hills, there is more than enough woodland resources for everyone. I'd still recommend heading out to the back of Estacada and follow the river on back. You will want access to all that fresh water.

All of this, of course, is assuming this is the right kind of SHTF type situation. Sometime it is better to stay put, but if ICBMs are on their way to PDX, get the hell out of there. If you go to the coast, the Cascades will serve as a nice break and shelter you from any blast.

8. OC357

OC357 New Member

Everyone has different personal circumstances and environment so as far as bugging out or staying put, what is good for one is not good for another. For instance, I am in a small village of 1,833 people. I am not far from deep woods or a city of 30,000+ population. I could switch to self-sufficient mode easily as I am prepared. I would have to stay put and I hope it doesn't come to that.

OC

9. 2fas2c

2fas2c New Member

First off, if you plan to stay put and have someone come to you, I would screen the ones coming. Make a plan of action and barring any drastic changes stick to it. You don't want to see anyone suffer, but you don't want to be over-run and be robbed and possibly killed for what you've gathered. Just my $.02!

10. jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Exactly where I would head too. I grew up fishing the clackamas river (higher up) only thing bad is the road is now to the point it is busy even in non-emergency times. I can't imagine what it is like during all out chaos. Other thing is not many will know when a missile is incoming, especially with Russian/china subs now patroling near our waters. Guess its time to buy some spf-3000:) All good advice though, thanks.

11. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

I have some friends who are very close. They live in populated areas. Our plan in a SHTF situation is they will be grabbing their arsenals and supplies and scootin out here to hunker down. Of course I already have a well supplied area. I have fuels in stockpile as I do ammunition and the supplies to make a lot more rounds.
    We (the wife and I) are hobby homesteadders as well so we have enough food stuff in the root cellar to sustain up to 10 people for a few months comfortably.
    I hunt in three different states so there is plenty of jerked and smoked meat and my wife loves to can everything from veggies to fruits. A few years ago we lost power due to an ice storm. We had a lot of destruction and it ended up being a week until the power was restored. We had a great time. We ate pies, soups, stews, and had fun the whole time. Plenty of firewood so the house was nice and toasty. For three days we didnt even leave the house (except to go play in the barnyard). We played and enjoyed the fruits of our labor.
    So I am very comfortable with our usual level of preparedness. Of course if it really got bad I would quickly go out and obtain everything I could but I would quickly return and hunker down.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That is why I feel very comfortable inland among the Mountains in which I grew up. The rugged and diverse terrain of the Rockies cannot be traveled/navigated by just anyone... and if you know the valleys and rivers as well as the passes and highlands one could "bug out" forever.

Hmmm... I think I'm due to summit another 14er.

13. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

sounds like you have a good bug in location,but i would not rule out bugging out.yes bugging in is your best option but even the outer edges of the fan can still get hit when the S*** is commin.:D

14. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

One thing about bugging in, especially out in the country...you can continue to improve youe situation as time rolls on. More food, more ammo, more options...etc...etc...etc...