Just picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by HighSpeed, Oct 18, 2011.

1. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Saw a deal I couldn't resist and picked one up. I had been toying with the idea of getting a pocket pistol for a while, and had it narrowed down to the LCP and the Bodyguard. Decided on the BG because of its double strike ability and slide lock. (I'll still probably get the LCP, though.)

Ideally, I'd rather be carrying something 9mm or larger. However, this pistol allows for easy pocket carry, I can even carry it when I'm jogging. (My G26 isn't exactly conducive to workout clothes)

Bottom line, I'd rather have this than nothing.

I'm going to go shoot it this weekend. My serial # starts w/EATxxxx, so hopefully I won't have the problems with the takedown lever that I've heard so much about.

2. NOVA

NOVA New Member

I've got maybe 100 rounds through mine. Nice little gun. Long trigger pull takes getting used to...

So, have you found a pocket holster for it yet?

3. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I do, a little cheapo Blackhawk! holster they had for $12. It does the job. I'm thinking about trying out a Belly Band for when I'm at the gym or jogging, has anyone used one of these?

4. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I've got a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for mine. Not bad for the price. I'm looking for other options too.

5. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

I've got both....the BG and LCP. Gave the BG to my wife...had a couple striker issues with it, but S&W fixed it. To me, the LCP seems 'tighter', if that makes sense. Either way, both are decent for pocket or backup on ankle.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

7. subz54

subz54 New Member

I'm looking into getting a bodyguard as well.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My local dealer had the bogyguard and the LC9 , I really liked the laser on the bodyguard , however I like the 9mm round better , Both were going to be about the same $$ out the door give or take a few bucks . Both are close to the same size and both had long trigger pull so went with the LC9 , for as short of a barrel as it has, It was fairly accurate out to 8 yards . If we ever get CCW here in IL it will be my main carry.
    You got a good gun there you will like it

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  9. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

This is obviously my opinion, but a laser on a pocket gun is ridiculous. The gun is so small, that it is not convenient to even think about turning it on under stress. On top of that, if you were really drawing due to an imminent threat, you would draw and shoot in less than half a second. No time for fiddling with the laser. I got the LCP without a laser. The BG laser is a pain in the butt to get turned on. I would take it off my BG if it wasn't part of the frame.

Now, there are auto-on grip lasers that turn on when you hold the gun. Those might be better, but I think you should just practice drawing and shooting, and maybe get some glow in the dark dots/paint for the sights.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

10. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Agree with use of laser in an SD situation is impractical - no time to think about turning on laser when every second counts. HOWEVER - as I mentioned before - that long trigger pull on the BodyGuard 380 takes some getting used to and I find the laser is an excellent training tool for instant feedback on keeping the gun on target. Secondly, in a situational awareness scenario where you see the threat coming from a distance AND HAVE THE FEW SECONDS TIME TO SPARE to turn on the laser, you may be justified in putting the laser dot on the Bad Guy's chest and make him or her think twice about messing with you.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

In a panic situation, I have no illusions about turning the laser on my BG. However, if I have a situation with more time, it could prove to be a very useful tool. Plus, I have found it to be a fantastic training enhancer.

I for one am glad it's there for those applications when it is useful.

12. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Agreed, I don't even practice with any types of lasers on any of my weapons. I figured this is my 'last ditch' gun, as in if I'm using it it's because I'm up close and personal/contact distances.

The laser is cool for terrorizing my cats, though.:cool:

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of lasers to begin with. My goal is always 'unconscious competency' with my pistols, and any other added doo-dads will only make me change my hard earned muscle-memory.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

In addition to practicing trigger control, as mentioned by Nova, I found the Crimson Trace Grips helped me practice 'point & shoot' without having to actually shoot up ammo. I'd point, from the hip, at an object across the room then press the laser trigger to see how close I was. I've seen considerable improvement. When I step out of the bedroom, in total darkness, & point (with an empty gun!) toward the door knob on the door out into the garage, approximately 30 ft., the laser shows that I was dead on, even without being able to see the door knob. When you can do that, you don't need a laser.

14. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

I can't understand why S&W didn't use a pressure pad on the grip to activate the laser; with the laser being integral to the gun, it's a curious, crippling omission. An LCP with a Crimson Trace laser would be far more practical.

15. dborns

dborns New Member

I just got a belly band off ebay, and really like it. I normally carry my XD9 with extended clip, in an IWB holster, and sometimes that can get a little uncomfortable, especially in shorts. The BB fits nice and tight, and my 9 feels very secure in it. I haven't run with it on, and I've only worn it with the small clip, but I think it would do fine. It has a velcro strap that is adjustable for different sizes. A smaller caliber gun probably wouldn't move around at all. I think I paid $15 for my BB.

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I bought a body guard 380 about 2 months ago and hated it. I tried to take it back and the dealer would not take it the second day with less than 50 rounds thru, also would not even try it himself ( he did not have any place to shoot it ) - - -I then shot a friends body guard 380 and it was fine - - - I dissassembeled the one I bought as far as I could and lubricated it and got the trigger pull down from 23# to 8# and it seems to be getting better after each cleaning.

I now feel you have to make sure even if you are buying from the largest dealer in the area that they will back up what they sell. This delaer will never have to worry about me complaining about anything else I buy from him as he will never get another dime from me!

When I locked the pistol in a vise and used a fish scale to pull the trigger I was amased at 23# trigger pull - - - That is why it took 2 fingers!

Now I carry it every day in a belly band raised up under my armpit and have put about 250 rounds thru it at my range and up to 20 yards it is good for a 12" group , at 7 yards it is still good for a 4" group slow fire and 8" rapid fire so for what it is designed I feel it is a great bargain.

I also feel the lazer is a great training aid and if needed can be a large detertant.

Yes I have other pistols which will hold a 3" group at 25 yards but they do not lend themselves to CC in my active life.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a P3AT and traded it in on a Sig P238. I handled the LCP, Kahr, Taurus and the Bodyguard. None were as nice as the P238. It is actually fun to shoot. No long trigger pull. The P3AT was literally a pain to shoot.