Just picked up a Kimber Clackamas

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by riggergreg, Oct 7, 2010.

1. riggergreg

riggergreg New Member

Been looking for one of these for awhile, and finally found one someone was willing to give up. Its a 96 Kimber Classic Custom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's a good looking piece for being old enough to have a Facebook account. :p

I am not familiar with the "Clackamas" stigma. Is it rare, not many produced or something of that? I had heard that Kimber had some pistols made outside of Yonkers, but never looked into it any further.

Please share.

JD

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I am also interested in this. Great looking piece but please share its history.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Just based on what I've heard...

The "Clackamas" (near Portland) models signify the first several thousand 1911's made by Kimber when it was much more of a family business with tighter QC and more of a semi-custom touch.

5. skydriver

skydriver New Member

These don't pop up very often and thats a nice score ... and welcome to the club!

I traded for this Classic Stainless about 10 years ago ... its every bit as tight as my "Yonkers" Stainless Gold Match, but the match does have a slightly better trigger.

[​IMG]

6. riggergreg

riggergreg New Member

The first 5,000-6,000 Kimbers were rollmarked "CLACKAMAS,OR" because that's where the comapny had their offices, and for legal reasons it was best to put that on there. Every Kimber (except for one, as I understand) was actually manufactured in the "YONKERS,NY" facility, and the rollmark was changed to reflect that upon the move of home base operations there.

This one has had a little work, so its not 100% original, but I love it just the same

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the information & congrats on a beautiful pick up.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great snag! Sweet looking Kimber. :)

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations, enjoy. :cool:

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Great! Now I get to add another 1911 to my wish list.

11. skydriver

skydriver New Member

Interesting ... I've never heard that before.

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if they changed their name roll mark at the same time? The "Kimber" on the slide of Clackamas guns is more elegant and script like than in the later Yonkers guns ... which is just fugly.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Being from the Portland area, that would be REALLY cool to have a Clackamas model. Yonkers ain't bad, but Clackamas would be fun.