Just picked up a FN 5.7........ what's your guys opinion on the platform?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by GunRunner, Apr 10, 2013.

1. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I just picked up a gently used FN 5.7 for the price of a used Hi Standard 1911, 100 rounds of federal 45 acp, 4 not so good magazines, a leather holster, and $750.00 cash. The total cash value for the items was about $400 and his asking price was $1200 cash for the pistol, (2) 20 rd mags and (2) 30 rd mags. I basically got rid of things I didnt want. I havnt shot it due to my limited ammo supply plus the cost of the rounds for those that have them are charging a $1.00 a round. No where around me has them but I did find a store a hour away that has them at the best price ive seen of $29.99 a box of 50.

Another downside for me is my local range has this pistol on its No No list so I have no place to regularly shoot this pistol. I like it because I usually carry a 1911 with 10rd mag (im big enough to get away with it) and it is pretty heavy but I can carry this with a 30rd mag and it weighs less than my 1911 empty.

I know alot of people fall into the size matters category of calibers but I believe shot placement is more important and I like the idea of having 30 shots to place at my disposal.

Well this is where im at, what do you guys think?

ForumRunner_20130410_172214.jpg

Im also a Fredericksburg Virginia local.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Imo it is cool and has a purpose. Has a bad history at this point though.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Cool, but the deal of ammo shortage concerns me.

I would rather have a gun that ammo is easy to get or reload.

4. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

What bad history?

5. FullautoUSA

How dos that reflect poorly on the gun? The gun didnt do it.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I agree with you but others who were closer to what happened may harbour ill feelings towards it.

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

8. 10MMGary

10MMGary New Member

If you're happy and you didn't want or use the items you traded, you did just fine. As to the guns rep, that is a non issue. People who blame guns(not directed at you Mountainman13)for the actions of murderers or the insane don't get it never will and don't matter, those types want all guns banned. Enjoy your new tool and let us know how you like it and what your opinion of it's performance is after you have put a few hundred down range.

9. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Well at the ammo prices currently thats is a few hundred bucks down range.........lol.

10. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Awesome! Nice deal ya got there.

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

(Im on my iPhone, so i have limited features, so, the following comment should be in green) What?! Harbor ill feelings towards an inanimate object? Come on this is America man, that cant happen here.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao. I wish that were true.

13. jakewpns

jakewpns New Member

Great gun if you can find the ammo and aren't using it for home defense within city limits. Hardly any recoil and a fine piece of hardware

14. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have one too and am thinking of selling mine (to fund another project of mine not because of any problems with the gun)....
    The demand for them seems to be rather high (and the supply of them low).

15. FullautoUSA

Youre correct there are some people that don't have a tight grasp on reality, that would blame the gun.
    I know someone who calls guns "accomplices to murder"

On an unrelated note, do they make a MA compliant version?

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not that I know of.

17. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I use to think it could possibly be my favorite semi auto (large mag capacity, great round, and reputable company), but I read some reviews that said it sucked and the cartridge had almost the same (or less) ballistics than a 9mm (which I call BS on). I also heard it was next to useless without the military AP ammo, but I think it neat and has its niche. Really wish I had the opportunity to shoot one.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ummm.. The @@@@@ at Fort Hood had no issues with the lethality. Read about all the soldiers he killed with one of you doubt that.

The weapon is really nice.

Ammo was ~ $21.50/box of 50 last time I bought it. not as costly as premium .45 ($20 /box of 25.)

If you like it, buy it!:)

It's a little different to reload than straight wall pistol cases, but no worse than any bottleneck rifle cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  19. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I like it so I bought it, ammo is a pain to find for a reasonable price. Im slowly collecting my supply for now.