Just ordered!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by vjf915, Mar 12, 2010.

1. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

So I know that it probably doesnt need an entirely new thread, but Im just too excited:D
    Just got back from my local sporting goods store, where I ordered a Remington model 700 SPS in .308. First gun, cant wait to pick it up.

Now I need to start researching scopes:confused:

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Congratulations on the purchase, and the first firearm.
    A fine selection, looking forward to pictures and your first range report!
    The worm has definitely turned for you :D

3. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Fine choice. Congrats!

4. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Wow......thats a little out of my price range. The ranges near me only go out to about 200 yards.

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Planning on buying same rifle + Leupold VX I 3-9x40 on eBay for $199 (free shipping). With patience, you can get it for much less even the VX II 3-12x40 for less than $200.

Congrats!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Poink I would hold off on them VX-I and VX-II scopes. I have had a VX-II and the eye relief changes on them when you adjust the power settings.

You would be better off looking at Nikon or Bushnell's Elite 3200 set up.

Vjf what are you looking to spend on a scope?

Check out OpticsPlanet.com they have great deals and mostly free shipping. I also like SWFA for optics. I have dealt with both and they are good places to deal with.

7. William

William New Member

I love the Model 700 my 7mm Mag is just awsome, its worth the money

8. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Leupold is one of the most counterfeited scopes by the chinese guys who make fakes. There is even a warning on their site about it. I woudn't buy any Leupolds that don't come from a reputable stocking dealers.

9. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Well actually right now I dont have ANY budget for a scope......times are tough and being a full time student isnt easy. I probably wont be getting a scope until sometime this summer. But I guess my budget is around $200. Im willing to adjust it depending on what I find. After researching scopes and how they work, I think Im going to get a 3-9x40. I dont need anything major as the shooting ranges here only go out to 200 yards. And 3-9 should help me pick of those zombies fairly well :cool:

10. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Check opticsplanet for sure.

What is your price range? The SPSs suck up a lot of $ (know from experience). New stock, trigger, scope, mount, rings etc. Do it slow but do it right (buy cheap, buy twice).

Rule of thumb is a decent scope will start at about the price of the rifle... and go up. Figure another 150 (at least) for base and rings.

Again depends what you will want to use it for. If it is a "tactical" deer rifle ;) then you dont need to put top shelf stuff on it, just durable and wx proof.

Again, buy cheap, buy twice.

Congrats on the gun!

PICTURES!!!!!

11. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Just saw your response...take your time getting it set up. Try to be patient and get good stuff or you will end up throwing money away.

Know the broke college student routine all too well! Rotsa ruck!

12. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Pictures will be up as soon as it comes in. It will take anywhere up to a month. Yea I am going to take my time. I know all too well that buying cheap means buying twice.

13. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

if your budget is tight, i would recommend the same scope i put on my rem 700.

the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm. it's their mid priced "decent" scope.

there are better scopes out there, but for the money (this one comes in at just under 200, then you still need rings and mounts), the Prostaff has a clear sight picture and zeros in fairly easy. i am totally happy with mine.

and apparently others like them too. almost all the reviews i've read claim it to be one of the best in it's price range.

food for thought.

i'm sure you'll love your rifle.

14. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Okay thanks for the input, I will definitely look into that model. That is closer to the price range I would like to spend. Wont be shooting that far.

15. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

So I am seriously considering cancelling my order and picking up a S&W M&P15-22. Looked at one today and it was really nice. Since the gun Im getting will just be for target practice, and my friends tend to spend quite some time at the range....I think that a .22 would suit me better right now since money is tight. Also I still need to invest a couple hundred dollars more on the 700 for scope, rings and base. What do you guys think?

16. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

For a little more you can get an M&P 15 or a RRA, still inexpensive. 5.56 prices are coming way down and will continue to do so. I would bet a beer you would get tired of only having a .22. If not, get a 10-22 for a couple of hundred bucks and go have fun. IMO the AR .22s are kinda gimmicky, not worth the extra bucks to get a .22 that looks like an AR. My unvarnished opinion though, do whatever tickles your taint.

17. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Be assured of one thing, you will absolutely enjoy your new M700. Congrats on the purchase.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For $200. You can buy a Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40 or a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. For not too much more, you can go to a Monarch 3-9x40.

Here's a Nikon "Team Primos" which is essentially a Monarch. It's an excellent scope and an outstanding value::

SWFA Riflescopes Nikon Riflescopes Nikon Team Primos Riflescopes

In fact, just go for the Team Primos right off the bat. ;)

19. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I am with HillBilly as far as the ar style .22lr's go. If you really decide you want an AR, get one. If you really decide you rather have a .22lr, get one. Don't try to combine the two for a compromise. I'd stick with the 700 though.

I have seen a bunch of excellent reviews on the "new" Redfield's (apparently they're back in the game?) Leupold one piece base and medium rings, and you're shooting a decent set up for less than $250, minus ammo.

I have a plain ole' Leupold one piece base and rings on my LTR .308 but I did go with a VXIII 4.5-14. It will shoot one hole, five shot groups with my handloads with boring regularity, and I am no crackshot. If you don't plan to shoot 600 yards right outta the gate, a 200 dollar scope is perfectly fine, in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010