Just ordered my first ar 15 today...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by nopistons93, Dec 20, 2010.

1. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

[​IMG]

Spikes Tactical 16" Mid length gas system.. $809 bucks.

I also got the tactical case for 50, two extra 30 rd. mags, and a little range bag. It also comes with a black hard plastic lockable case too.

Over all, I'm damn excited to get this thing. M4 feed ramps (if I ever need em), chrome everything, detachable A2 carry handle, and I'm excited for the mid length system too. Takes about 2-4 weeks for delivery, but I'll be on vacation till middle of Jan anyway, so it's no big deal! The ROTC guys will be jealous ;)

I do have one question for everyone... All the pictures I've seen show that the gun has a 3 selector position.. safe, single, and full auto. I wonder how the normal ones come shipped?

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Not sure, but being that you are in SC, a full auto version may be available to you, but I don't think you are going to get one for the 809.00 price. Plus, if I am not mistaken, you have to have a special license for full auto weapons. I don't really pay attention to the laws in regards to this issue as they don't really apply to me. Let us know what yopu find out. Congrats on your first AR however, you are going to love it.

3. Catfish

Catfish New Member

It will not be full auto and I have never seen a 3 position safity. I have a friend that thought he had one but didn`t. If it does not click in the center position it is a 2 position safity.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if yours has a auto/burst printed on it, its just cosmetic. select fire weapons start around 10K$ and go up from there. plus there is special paperwork and an unconstitutional tax involved.

5. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Notice the safe, single and full auto pictures on the selector.

Here's another angle..

[​IMG]

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I remember a video on YouTube that had someone showing their lower (the vid was the designer), which had "safe" "Fire" and "Superior firepower", but the third position was just a political statement: "I should have this capability as a law-abiding citizen, but am disallowed by anti-gun wussies."

I'd love a lower that had that 3rd position, even though it was clearly non-functional.

First thing to do, nopiston, take the lower completely down to its parts when you get it and put it back together. It is easier than you may think!

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes it seems to have the designations on the receiver for all three positions. However it is a semi-auto receiver looking at the picture. There is no hole in the receiver in the above area in front of the take down pin for the auto sear pin to hold the auto sear. If the safety should go into the full auto position the weapon will more than likely be on safe in that position. I would doubt if the selector will go into that position?

8. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Very true. I'm calling tomorrow to see if they still have the zombie lowers in stock, and I'm going to have them paint the stuff red like you see in the photo.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Spikes is a very good choice, nopistons93. Good luck with it when it arrives.

But I'd skip the zombie lower. Might be cool right now but I bet it's a laughing stock later! :p

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Fully auto would have a different hammer and disconnector than what is shown and an extra hole above the fire selector for the auto sear. It would also cost, at a minimum, 10 times what you paid and would not be brand new. I suspect, as others have stated, the burst fire position is for show.

Still one perty SUR you got there...

11. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Quentin, I know your going to be mad, but I just called spikes and had them change my lower to the zombie lower with red fill for the logo and the fire selectors. they are also engraving an American flag on the other side of the receiver.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't care what quentin says, Zombies will NEVER go out of style. :p

They have always stood for "other" creatures to prepare for around these parts anyways. :cool:

In the words of Billy the Kid: "Well Tom, that's bad types. Politicians, bankers, cattle-kings... Scum..."

I think you will be quite happy with your AR. Looking forward to a first impression & range report.

JD

13. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Haha, I'm looking forward to it a great deal Dillinger.

Here's a picture of what someone else did, I don't have the white in the zombie's head, just all ready besides the "live" safety marker.

[​IMG]

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I have to admit that does look pretty good, nopiston. If I were a zombie I'd run! Or lumber... :p

Anyway it's gonna be a great rifle, let us know how it shoots.

ETA: Man I have to say Squirrel_Slayer's avatars sure dress up a thread! :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  15. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

That is an interesting looking zombie. Just as a side note, you can purchase a lacquer pen at Home Depot or Lowes and you can easily paint in any machine work in the side of your lower and wipe off the excess with a cloth dampened in lacquer thinner.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

About 99.999999% of us won't ever own a full auto weapon.

Spike's Tactical is an OUTSTANDING outfit! Their products are amazing, closing in on perfection and customer service is outstanding. You made a great choice with mid length. I couldn't be happier with mine. ENJOY!

A few months ago after I assembled my first Spike's lower, I spoke with my local shop about the surprising "economical" quality. I "helped" out with the initial order and ended up with several lowers and a few BCGs, which are AWESOME as well. I prefer it to my BCM group, which is supposed to be the best. :rolleyes:

As far as the selector, logos and all that junk, I like to keep things simple and then if I want to, I can change it up later. When the first bunch came in I took all the blanks. Two were 3-way selectors (like the top PIC) and the others were just safe-semi (Bottom PIC) They also look like the finish differs, but that may be due to a coat of oil. But who knows? Both are fine!

Buy 'em up while they're hot!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Those regular Spikes lowers look real good to me. And Nopiston, good choice on the Spikes engraved ejection port cover with the US Flag. I think it also says US Rifle or something like that.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Cosmetic

Spikes currently has stripped uppers w/ cosmetic blemishes for $60!

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice lowers guys.

A green Zombie would have been cool.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010