Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just loaded sole 9mm 115g hollow points using bullseye powder at 4g of power. Should that be a good load? Hot? Now enough? Anyone have any insight?

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
I've used that load with 115 Rem FMJ, Rem 1 1/2 primers and MilSurp cases, It was hot, but safe IN MY GUN! Ithould be worked up from below.

In my experience, Bullseye powder is not a good choice for any hot loads in the 9MM.

Power Pistol, HS-6, Herco, AAC#7 are slower burning and better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
willfully armed said:
Did you just randomly pick a powder and weight? Oal, bullet diameter, bullet brand, plated, jacketed??

That's a light load.
Bought a bunch of bullets as reloading equipment a while back and just getting to the boxes of bullets that where not marked! Or not marked! And I had bullseye. Powder do I wanted to find a load for 9 that I could use!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
locutus said:
I've used that load with 115 Rem FMJ, Rem 1 1/2 primers and MilSurp cases, It was hot, but safe IN MY GUN! Ithould be worked up from below.

In my experience, Bullseye powder is not a good choice for any hot loads in the 9MM.

Power Pistol, HS-6, Herco, AAC#7 are slower burning and better.
I don't want a hot load just trying to get a good load for a 9mm with the powder I already have. But I think I need to just buy more powder!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Bullseye is fine. 6.4 grains being Max. Yours is a light load.

Overall length is important, minimum overall length is paramount. Never shorter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
willfully armed said:
Bullseye is fine. 6.4 grains being Max. Yours is a light load.

Overall length is important, minimum overall length is paramount. Never shorter.
Thanks! I have a caliper and measured them the OAL is good! I was just nervous with using a recipe from the powder site and not out of a manual! That's why I backed way down and the starting charge! Hoping the low powder will make good target loads but probably will bump up the powder a little after I test these in the gun! Thanks! I'm very new at reloading and trying to get as much information from experience as possible! Don't want to get hurt with a load I messed up!

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
The loads on powder manufacturers websites are the same as the loads in their manuals.

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
Why would you reload ammo and then ask if its OK? Pressure in the breech of any firearm should be decided before you reload not after.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nitestalker said:
Why would you reload ammo and then ask if its OK? Pressure in the breech of any firearm should be decided before you reload not after.
I'm new at this and I used a suggested load I found online. But after I loaded them I wanted to double check with the forum before I shot them. There's a learning curve!

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
get yourself a decent load manual. sierra, hornady, speer, nosler just about any of them will have more reliable info than some guy on the interweb that has probably only ever loaded up a diaper much less a metallic cartridge ;)

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
4gr is below the suggested level for a reason. Your firearm may not function correctly, or depending if your reloading equipment is as correct as your data you have a squib or a bomb. .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts