Just loaded 9mm 115g bullets have questions!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by keas3, Dec 26, 2012.

1. keas3

keas3 New Member

I just loaded sole 9mm 115g hollow points using bullseye powder at 4g of power. Should that be a good load? Hot? Now enough? Anyone have any insight?

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Did you just randomly pick a powder and weight? Oal, bullet diameter, bullet brand, plated, jacketed??

That's a light load.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used that load with 115 Rem FMJ, Rem 1 1/2 primers and MilSurp cases, It was hot, but safe IN MY GUN! Ithould be worked up from below.

In my experience, Bullseye powder is not a good choice for any hot loads in the 9MM.

Power Pistol, HS-6, Herco, AAC#7 are slower burning and better.

4. keas3

keas3 New Member

Bought a bunch of bullets as reloading equipment a while back and just getting to the boxes of bullets that where not marked! Or not marked! And I had bullseye. Powder do I wanted to find a load for 9 that I could use!

5. keas3

keas3 New Member

I don't want a hot load just trying to get a good load for a 9mm with the powder I already have. But I think I need to just buy more powder!

6. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Get a good manual and use it. Lyman's Reloading Handbook.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Bullseye is fine. 6.4 grains being Max. Yours is a light load.

Overall length is important, minimum overall length is paramount. Never shorter.

8. keas3

keas3 New Member

Thanks! I have a caliper and measured them the OAL is good! I was just nervous with using a recipe from the powder site and not out of a manual! That's why I backed way down and the starting charge! Hoping the low powder will make good target loads but probably will bump up the powder a little after I test these in the gun! Thanks! I'm very new at reloading and trying to get as much information from experience as possible! Don't want to get hurt with a load I messed up!

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The loads on powder manufacturers websites are the same as the loads in their manuals.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why would you reload ammo and then ask if its OK? Pressure in the breech of any firearm should be decided before you reload not after.

11. keas3

keas3 New Member

I'm new at this and I used a suggested load I found online. But after I loaded them I wanted to double check with the forum before I shot them. There's a learning curve!

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

get yourself a decent load manual. sierra, hornady, speer, nosler just about any of them will have more reliable info than some guy on the interweb that has probably only ever loaded up a diaper much less a metallic cartridge ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

4gr is below the suggested level for a reason. Your firearm may not function correctly, or depending if your reloading equipment is as correct as your data you have a squib or a bomb. .