Just how accurate is the M1 Garand / M1A

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by tCan, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

2 moa? 3 moa?

2. Guzzinut

Guzzinut New Member

My M1A1 is a 1 to sub 1 MOA rifle.....my M1 Garand (IH make) is a 1 to 3 depending on ammo...and how much coffee I had before going to the range

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Some M1 Garands were used as sniper rifles. They are very accurate, and can reach out pretty far.

4. 75370

75370 New Member

Here's my M1-A, as built by by Accuracy Speaks, (Derrick Martin).

[​IMG]

5. tCan

tCan Active Member

Holy Cow! How do I buy one of those? And how many arms and legs do I need?

6. 75370

75370 New Member

Give Accuracy Speaks a call, although last I heard they were not taking orders from civilians.
    Just give them some time to catch up, then get on their list.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You lucky SOB!!.. :( :p.. You have a IHC M1??!! Ive been hunting for one for ages!!

And is that a IHC pickup I see in your avatar??? :cool:

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

9. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I know that my NM M1A is capable of greater accuracy than what I can produce with my present shooting skills. I think it will continue to accommodate me well in my quest for better shooting.

10. tCan

tCan Active Member

Ok. Now how about the same rifles as you might find for $1000-$1200. It's a lot of dough to be dropping on what is, in all practicality, a hunting rifle that you wont even put a scope on.

11. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Sure you can.

[​IMG]

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have several M14 rifles that will do sub MOA for 5 shot groups. And I have a few more that are good for about 2 MOA.

I think this was from my Smith Enterprise M14 with open sights at 100.
    [​IMG]

And this was with my LRB M25 at 100.
    [​IMG]

13. tCan

tCan Active Member

I would never run a scope on my M14. Because then it would be an M21 wannabe.

Does Springfield make a good M14? And whats up with the magazine looking tube under the barrel?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is an M1 Garand.

And just because it is scoped, that does not make an M14 and "M21 wannabe". It makes it a scoped M14.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. tCan

tCan Active Member

I just couldn't bring myself to do it man. Battle rifles with scopes just dont appeal to me.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the M14 is the select fire version with full auto capability, not made by Springfield anymore that i am aware of. the M1A is the semi auto version available to us mere civilians. if i remember correctly, the M14's still used by the military are just what has been in stock for many years and are just being upgraded and put back into service.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Does an M1a kick the shell casing to the right?

18. Guzzinut

Guzzinut New Member

the M1A and M1A1 both kick the shells to the right. for $1000 to 1300, you can get a nice M1 loaded that is about as good an all around rifle as you could find. no scope needed really (unless the eyeballs are not the best)

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There are many documented cases of long range shots with the M1 Garand with iron sights. It depends on what you prefer. Up until my eyesight started to fail I used iron sights on all my rifles but for one, a Ruger 10/22. I still do not have any optics on any of my handguns.

The M1 was not intended to be scoped, at least as I understand.

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

"M14" as a generic name, is used to describe any of the M14 variants available on the market today. When Elmer Balance started Springfield Armory he tried to call his new semi auto rifle the "M14", but the government would not allow that (yet), so he called it the M1A which the SAI trademarked name for THEIR M14 variant. So, SAI has the M1A.

Since then, other companies have come along and marketed their versions, and called them "M14s" with no problems.

Federal Ordnance, Armscorp, Smith Enterprise, LRB Arms, 7.62mmFirearms, and a few others have all called their rifles "M14s".