Just hit the 3 gallon mark.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kfox75, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I did my first doule red cell donation yesterday afternoon. It put me at the 3 gallon mark for my total blood donations. Only 17 more gallons until I am tied with my grandfather.

To any other blood donors on this forum. Thank you for the gift of life.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

9 gallons and counting.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You guys are incredibly awesome. I work in a hospital lab and my favorite department to work is the Blood Bank. I guarantee you volunteers like you save lives every day. Thank you.

[​IMG]

I, myself, am only a one gallon donor. I am now disqualified to donate due to some medication I'm on. :(

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations! 5 gallon pin here, but due to maintenance prescriptions, can no longer donate.

But why lie? I was just really into those cookies at the blood bank........... :p

5. CGO

CGO New Member

I gave blood while living in CA but I am disqualified also cause of the strong meds. I take. I wish I could but I can't anymore...:(

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Couple of pints. I'm a noob!

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was told that I cannot donate blood, reason - being stationed in Germany from 1986 to 1989 years.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am on the bone marrow donor bank but I don't donate blood. I did in high school when they came to me, but today it is inconvenient for me. That is a crappy excuse.

9. robocop10mm

I'm O neg so they come beating on my door every 52 days. I am also on the marrow registry, just have not ever gotten a call for that. I am pretty apprehensive about marrow as it is pretty invasive and, I understand, painful.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Same here, i've only been 8 or 9 times. The local Phlebotimists sometimes lack skill... Irritatingly so. I've had one nurse that forgot to cover the needle as he pulled it out at a million miles an hour:p . Nearly nailed the ceiling with blood(okay so not quite but it squirted over my head's height:)
    I'm actually a little over due... perhaps I'll go Saturday. Good going OP.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am pretty sure they make it as pain free as possibly by either numbing the area they draw the marrow from real well and/or giving you a sedative. I have seen diagnostic bone marrows done on patients hundreds of times and none of them said it was as bad as they thought it was going to be. If I had to donate bone marrow or have a bone marrow exam, I would be a little nervous, I admit, but I know it is nearly pain free these days.

Next time you go, tell them you are very nervous and you want the best phlebotomist they have because if you have a bad experience you may never come back to donate again. I can almost guarantee you, you'll get good treatment.

12. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

First blood donation a few weeks ago. I'm following in the footsteps of my old man whose donated at LEAST a million pints!

13. kfox75

If any of you are O, A, or B (+ or -), Please consider the double red cell donation. You donate less often, get a more comfortable bed and a smaller needle, and the collection machine is really pretty cool. Donating this way just works out better for me due to my sometimes hectic life.

Robo, I'm an O+, so they pound on my door pretty hard too. With the double red you can donate every 120 days, and you are still donating the same amount.

To those who no longer donate. Don't let it bother you. For all any of us know, your doation may have been the one that gave me 11 more years with my mother before she passed. Or even the one that allowed me to enjoy the last 19 years of my life. ;)

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A childhood friend of mine, Eric Drew (The Eric Drew Foundation) was diagnosed with leukemia in 2001 that had a very low rate of survival. I signed up with the marrow door program at that time. I have become reaquainted with him over the years since his diagnosis and one of the things he told me was that if a cancer patient is getting a bone marrow biopsy (taken from the pelvis as I understand it) done here in California the anesthesiologists will not give anesthesia for it because the patient is terminal and they do not want to get sued when the patient dies from the cancer. On the other hand they will give anesthesia to healthy donors.

Eric ended up in Washington State for treatment and he says that they gave him anesthesia for biopsies etc. in that state that they would not do at Stanford Hospital. :eek: Eric does support all of the donor programs all over the world, but he cautions me against seeking cancer treatment here in CA.

So, as a registered marrow donor I strongly encourage you to please volunteer and register as a bone marrow donor and also give blood regularly. Especially if you have a rare blood type or if you are a minority. Those are the most needed of donations.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh, and by the way, Eric is alive and well today due to an umbilical cord blood transfusion. He likes to say that he has the blood of a (now) 11 year old Italian girl. The Italian girl is alive and well today, and so is Eric because her parents donated the cord blood when she was born.

So any of you who have a bun in the oven, please consider cord blood banking The Eric Drew Foundation

Cord blood is non-controversial as it does not harm the baby nor the mother in any way.

16. kfox75

Thanks for the info on cord blood Viking. I've got two friends who will deliver in the next two months. I'll let them know.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

That cord blood is like taking the umbilical cord, after the baby is born and the cord is cut, and squeezing it out like a tube of tooth paste. In my mind, totally non controversial.

When my son was born, we couldn't afford cord blood storage, so we donated the cord blood.

No different than being an organ donor IMHO.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Absolutely true. No babies are harmed in harvesting this life-saving material.:D If you can't afford the personal storage please do insist on the donation to the cord blood bank. It can save many lives! Please look into it before the birth so that everything is ready to go.....

19. robocop10mm

Here in Austin they have a huge Apheresis program. I can give enough platelets in one hour long session to completely replenish a Chemo/Radiation therapy patient. They are only exposed to one donor instead of 12 and only long term whole blood donors are accepted for Apheresis. I can give a platlet donation, one week later do another and then a week later give whole blood. Then I have to wait 52 days. So I can get three credits in just over two months.

20. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I have given 3 or 4 times/year for the last 20+ years. My first time was at a blood drive in my high school. My oldest gave for the first time a couple of months ago.