just graduated

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by potentialglock, Feb 5, 2013.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I just finished my gunsmithing certification. My immediate question is what do I do know? I'm going to contact a couple of gunsmiths in the area and see if I can apprentice under them. But do I need any licensing other than my certification to perform gunsmithing work?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have no idea but congratulations.

3. urquidez

urquidez New Member

How long did it take and how much it cost if you dont mind me asking

4. potentialglock

6 months and about $650

5. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Ty thats not to bad

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check with Brownells. They have a job fair once a year.

MidwayUSA may be able to point you to a couple of smiths needing assistance, also.

But, besides having an FFL (should you keep someone's firearm for more than 24 hours), business license, Bond, insurance, Tax ID, place of business, and the other nuances, you should be good to go.

The trouble is that people are spending a lot of attention on getting new right now. When the furor of the ban subsides, repairs should start picking up.

7. BWilder

BWilder New Member

what school did you go to?

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you work for an FFL in his shop, you need no license of your own. If you take guns home to work-on then you need an FFL. Good luck to you!

9. potentialglock

Unfortunately I do not have the means of starting my own business anytime soon. I'll be working for another gunsmith or hopefully id love to work for Colt, Ruger, S&W etc.

10. potentialglock

Penn Foster Online

11. BWilder

BWilder New Member

im signed up to go to mongomery down in north carolina. how was penn foster?

12. potentialglock

Pretty awesome. Very in depth learning. I was on the waiting list for Montgomery but I realized I could be done and working before I ever got a chance to attend Montgomery

13. BWilder

BWilder New Member

is penn online? i remember getting info from them but forgot

14. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I never met a gunsmith that wasn't busy. Good for you and congratulations on your certificate.

15. potentialglock

Thank you sir. And I'm hoping this one in my area will at least let me come watch if nothing else

16. Fringe10

Fringe10 New Member

Ah I too just finished with smithing school from pen, was not that impressed but did gain some know how that I didnt have before. Have done some work at home already, nothing over night yet but friends bringing over small stuff hour or so fixes. Going to local shops as well for some hands on for the first year maybe then break into business for myself.

17. potentialglock

I would've preferred to learn hands on but this at least gives me a foundation to add onto

18. kerstingm

kerstingm New Member

Nice to see other online gunsmith students and graduates, I am going through Modern Gun School now with some video backup from AGI. I almost signed up with Penn, but read some bad reviews about student support from them. Would like to know if you guys got the support you needed if you had any questions?