Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished my gunsmithing certification. My immediate question is what do I do know? I'm going to contact a couple of gunsmiths in the area and see if I can apprentice under them. But do I need any licensing other than my certification to perform gunsmithing work?

·
Retired
14,031 Posts
Check with Brownells. They have a job fair once a year.

MidwayUSA may be able to point you to a couple of smiths needing assistance, also.

But, besides having an FFL (should you keep someone's firearm for more than 24 hours), business license, Bond, insurance, Tax ID, place of business, and the other nuances, you should be good to go.

The trouble is that people are spending a lot of attention on getting new right now. When the furor of the ban subsides, repairs should start picking up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah I too just finished with smithing school from pen, was not that impressed but did gain some know how that I didnt have before. Have done some work at home already, nothing over night yet but friends bringing over small stuff hour or so fixes. Going to local shops as well for some hands on for the first year maybe then break into business for myself.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah I too just finished with smithing school from pen, was not that impressed but did gain some know how that I didnt have before. Have done some work at home already, nothing over night yet but friends bringing over small stuff hour or so fixes. Going to local shops as well for some hands on for the first year maybe then break into business for myself.
I would've preferred to learn hands on but this at least gives me a foundation to add onto

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice to see other online gunsmith students and graduates, I am going through Modern Gun School now with some video backup from AGI. I almost signed up with Penn, but read some bad reviews about student support from them. Would like to know if you guys got the support you needed if you had any questions?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.