Just got through with ATF meeting for FFL

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by BLACOPS, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

Well, just finished the meeting with the ATF Investigator. I was approved and after a 2-1/2 hour home visit I am relieved. It went so well. The investigator was so cool and everything was so easy. This is the first big step to a big adventure. I can't wait to see what happens for my future!!!

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops
    iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congrats! That was probably an I/I you met with- Industry Inspector. Hope you took some good notes- that visit is usually a very good tutorial on how to do business and stay inside the ATF regs.

BTW, if you are not aware, both Gunbroker and Gun Auction (formerly Auction Arms) maintain a free "Find a FFL" function. Joe lives in KY, bought a rifle from a seller in TX. He needs to find a FFL to receive the gun in his home state. Joe puts his zip code into the search engine on those sites, and it pulls up the closest FFLs to him THAT HAVE REGISTERED ON THE SITES as being willing to be the receiving FFL for the transfer.

Low cost way to make a couple of bucks, and generate some contacts- and tie in to some sales. (Nice rifle you got there. Need some cleaning gear, ammo and a sling?)

ALSO- send a copy of your FFL to gunpartscorp (Numrich) and Brownells- they have a professional discount.

3. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

Thanks so much shooter any advise is much appreciated!!!

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

BLACOPS,

Congrats! Just follow the rules and keep "GOOD CORRECT BOOKS" and be sure all weapons are entered as instructed.OH do not forget to post a copy of your FFL in your business location! It is something a lot of folks forget to do when they get their license.
    Good Luck and enjoy the new adventure!
    Also plenty of us here who have an FFL and have been in the industry for years to help you if you need us!

5. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

Well I can say that I will surely need all of you guys advise from time to time so be expecting to hear lots of questions. And I can agree that the lady made it very clear that my biggest thing will be current and accurate paperwork and records. She wasn't playing around about that! Anyways I appreciate the blessings and willingness for helping me. Thanks so much fellow FFL's!!!

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most if not all of the online stores keep an FFL list by zip.

7. LibertySuppressors

LibertySuppressors New Member

Congratulations!!!

Tim @ Liberty

8. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

Thanks much appreciated!!!

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

9. rudy

rudy New Member

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for them to contact you after you sent in your application? I sent mine in about 3 1/2 weeks ago and they cashed my check about about a week later. I'm sure it depends on what area you live in but I didn't know how backed up they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

It was at least 2 months before I even got a phone call. Then after that it was a week before the meeting. Where are you at?

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

11. rudy

rudy New Member

I'm in eastern Kansas

12. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

Not sure on there, I'm near Amarillo TX

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

13. rudy

rudy New Member

Thanks, at least that gives me an idea of about how long it might take.

14. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

No problem, and good luck.

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

15. rudy

rudy New Member

Thanks

16. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Amarillo? I'm about an hour and a half south of you in Lubbock! I sent my FFL stuff off 4-5 weeks ago and am playing the waiting game.

17. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

The ATF Investigator said they are so busy it's ridiculous. It's a long wait bit once you get your phone call it's on. Be sure and have your DBA and all that done and filed in your county and with the Secretary of State. It sure does speed things up if all that is done before your meeting.

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops

18. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Already got all that done as I am getting mine done under the same DBA as my engraving business.

19. rudy

rudy New Member

I have already set everything up, LLC , sales tax and such. I have extra space in the building where my pump business is. I'm getting it ready now. I'm looking at different suppliers for knives, holsters, and other hunting and shooting supplies. I have thought about opening before I can sell firearms but I'm not sure if it will help or hurt the business. I'm leaning towards waiting. I think it would be better to have everything available when I open the doors. As everybody knows first impressions are so important.

20. BLACOPS

BLACOPS New Member

I completely agree with that. I would be anxious to open too in your case but I think your thoughts on first impressions are very important.

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops