Just got the hand cuffs off

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hiwall, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When coming back from my walk this morning I was stopped by Arizona's finest. One drew a bead on me with his M-16 while another approached me with his pistol drawn. I was 1 block from my house just walking down the street. They cuffed me and disarmed me. Ran my gun's serial number and checked me for wants/warrants (I guess). They said I matched the description of the bad guy they were after. The description was "wearing dark clothes". I had jeans and a black windbreaker. Never asked for my ID. After about 5-10 minutes I was released and given back my pistol. If there even was a bad guy in the area I find it highly unlikely that he would be walking in plain sight when he could see the cops in the distance.
    I was/am extremely upset. It just showed me again that the police can do nothing for me only to me. I find it very unlikely that I will ever contact the police for any reason.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Were you open carrying or concealed carrying? Isn't AZ an open carry State?

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Yea...You never know what's going to happen in the next few minutes and you never know how it's going to turn-out .....either .......good..or..bad...

4. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

OP,
    I believe this sort of thing is just the tip of the iceberg and all of us are just passengers on this "Titanic". With the doctrine of law enforcement rapidly changing from "protect and serve" to "dominate and control" it's only going to get worse. Then will come reprisals against the police resulting in even more thuggish behavior. Where and how this will end is anyone's guess.

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

Already started...and "They" the ones in charge dont understand it is THEIR behavior, NOT ours that is causing the reprisals.

As i have stated on a different thread, In my mom and dads day, and even in my tyounger days, police were revered and respect! Today they (through their OWN actions) have become feared and despised.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Police used to be "Peace Officers", now they're "Law Enforcement Officers". It may be semantics, but I think not.

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I would check with an AZ lawyer that specializes in Firearms laws. In MI, that's a winning lottery lawsuit. Illegal detention without reasonable articulatable suspicion.

8. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Yonder be your probable cause right there.

I find it extremely hard to believe, that on their own hook, they braced you for no reason. Not to mention that if they had a patrol rifle and a pistol pointed at you...the feller they were looking for is wanted for a SERIOUS felony offense. Not a beer run for crying out loud.

Number one...I never had TIME in my day to play dick dick with John Q. Public. There were ALWAYS calls stacked up that I was trying to get to.

If they were less than touchy feely and didn't hug you afterward...read above...they had a subject to find IN YOUR AREA. That you resembled that subject bought you chat time with "Officers Friendly". Would you rather they NOT stop you and NOT try to find the above mentioned subject IN YOUR AREA, possibly NEAR YOUR HOME, or near YOUR WIFE OR CHILDREN?

Maybe it's just me...but I'd thank them for doing their job.

"Dark clothing"...you know...that may just be the BEST description they had to go one. Eyewitnesses are notoriously inaccurate (the EASIEST to shoot down in court by the way).

Rarely if ever does an officer get anything as specific as "#5 male, 180-200lbs, 5 foot 9 inches tall, medium brown hair, green eyes, wearing a navy blue t-shirt with COPS SUCK printed in yellow, wearing Levis brand jeans, and NIKE AIR sneakers, white in color with a red stripe...last seen heading east bound on Grant Road between Tucson Blvd and Country Club...thought to be heading to his baby momma house located at__________ her name is Whoreina..."

ALL you may get is "White male, medium build, wearing dark clothing, in the area of Grant and Alvernon. Subject is wanted for ________. Please hold for _____"

OC or CC...doesn't matter...in THAT situation any officer is going to relieve you of your pistol. Even a 2A guy like me on the chance that YOU might be the subject.

True, I would have told you...."Hey, I am sorry about this, but we are looking for someone matching your description. I know now that it's not you but we had to check. The guy we are looking for is wanted for thus and so, if you see anyone matching that description PLEASE give us a call, here's my card, please be safe."

I still wouldn't have hugged you...but I would have handled it differently. To think those officers were just "messing with you"....well...maybe you ought to loosen up your tinfoil hat.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I dont know whats legal, or illegal in Arizona, but if i were walking thru the neighborhood with a gun strapped to my side, i would halfway be expecting something like that to happen, not saying its right, but common sense !!!!

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Were the officers that put you on your knees, and cuffed you ,cute.... ? You left out the good stuff.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  11. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I agree, sounds like they were doing their job, i dated a cop for a while, and got to know a few of his cop buddies, they have TYPE-A, aggressive personalities, (which is kind of a turn on) but also the kind of people we want wearing a badge, they will chase an armed suspect into the woods at night. a "normal" person is not going to do something like that, but its how their wired.

12. tCan

tCan Active Member

I don't see how two officers coming up to me with a rifle and a pistol in hand at low ready asking for ID is so time consuming. While a terry stop is perfectly legal, it doesn't need to put citizens on their face. It's not how you build a healthy rapport.

13. fmj

fmj Active Member

This is what you expect from folks ina WAR ZONE and NOT in a community. Umm Joe Q. Public aint gonna continue to put up with kind of BS....and seems to me Joe Q. Felon w/ a rap sheet as long and rough as to warrant setting upon them with battle rifles deployed with fingers on the trigger is NOT just gonna hang out, let you disarm, and play jovial....They are gonna BOLT and mean ON SIGHT!!

This again just illustrates the "Us Vs Them" attitude advanced by LE.

14. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Oh horse****. Based upon what I have seen from you on here, are the guy, who no matter what a cop does, it's going to be wrong. It's going to be the tired old "us versus them" argument, or whatever.

If an individual officer does wrong, I will be the first to criticize. You, on the other hand, paint ALL cops with the same brush.

I would further assert, that YOU have no freaking clue about the job short of what you read in forums or see on TV.

If you think ANY officer is going to approach ANY suspected armed violent offender with a lollipop and big batch of cotton candy, you're as wrong as a u-turn on a freeway.

It DID get sorted out. The OP was given his weapon back after it was determined that he was not the subject they were seeking. All he lacked at the end of this unfortuneate contact was a hug and a rub on his bottom. He was never proned out, or physically mishandled in ANY way. Though I do find it curious that he claims they never checked his ID as that would be a priority, if for no other reason than to be able to eliminate him as the suspect, and communicate a contact to other officers.

In fact, the whole thing is a little thin on details. Be that as it may, you will still crucify a cop for doing his job. Have a nice day.

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

and that right there earns you a big "THUMBS UP"! LMAO :D

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive been shot at a couple of times while hunting for armed suspects in the woods, once was at night the the other was in the afternoon. We caught the suspect at night using a helicoptor with FLIR and the second incident we caught the guy in an abandont house..... well my K9 Buddy found him.. pretty intense moments

17. fmj

fmj Active Member

DAMN RIGHT Skippy!

It is COPS, and no others, that have turned my attitude to $h!t my friend. NO OTHER REASON! I have spent over 40 years playing the good guy with a record to prove it and more times than not cops come at me with a piss poor attitude. ( i could type a page worth of key stone cop stories but will save y'all the trouble and really i dont feel like typing that much)

There are more than enough nere-do-wells for y'all to harass! Leave the likes of me ALONE!

Not all encounters have been bad, mind you, i have had polite, professional run ins. Paperwork checked, pleasantries exchanged and we went along our merry way. But in my years, the majority have left a bad taste in my mouth and sour stomach. I have learned (actually been taught by none other than "the fraternal brotherhood") its best to just avoid cops altogether.

I would assert i know quite a bit about the job....having more than one family member in or been in LE.

So, save me your holier than thou, "My brothers do no wrong" attitude.

COPS and ONLY COPS bring this piss poor attitude from the citizens upon themselves. It is YOUR actions that have turned the attitude of John Q. Public against you.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

So wait..They never asked him for ID but had him held because he might be a guy they where looking for... At gunpoint no less. I'm thinking it was not the good guys protecting the public from the bad man crackling across the radio.

I didn't catch if the OP was carrying open and I'm wondering how they ran him for warrants if he never showed ID. Holes all over this one.

19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I will freely admit a small nod to the two officers for the fact that they never asked the stupid question" why do you carry a gun". I happened to be concealed today as it was cold and I had a jacket on. My gun was not an issue at all (everyone out here carries). A couple of things I thought were stupid - I did not approach them closer than a block and an old man like me is hardly threatening. I was in plain view for two blocks walking in their direction(no evasion). When I was about to turn up my street they yelled at me to stop(that was fine). I did not like the fact that the M-16 was pointed at me, the pistol guy was at low ready,the rifle guy was primed. The pistol guy walked thru the rifle guys line-of-fire at one point(poor training in my eyes anyway). I think at no time a weapon should have been pointed directly at me. I firmly believe at no time did they really think I was the perp. So why the theatrics? And why put my life in danger by pointing a weapon at me?

20. readygirl

readygirl New Member

We are lucky people like you choose to serve in such a way, Firefighters run INTO burning buildings while everybody else is running OUT, Policemen run TO dangerous situations, when the basic human instinct is to run AWAY from them. Thats why when i hear about a police brutality/abuse situation, i tend to give the officer the benifit of the doubt, or mabe would cut him a little slack, because they are forced to make life changing decisions, very quickly, in high stress conditions, combine that with the adrenaline rush they must be experiencing at that time. Not everybody can do that job.Who do you want patroling your streets, or if you need to call 911, who do you want to show up ? A confident ,aggressive bad ***, that has the mental and physical ability to handle the situation, or mother theresa,