Just got my Marlin 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TheHunter100, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I dont know just wanted to tell someone

ForumRunner_20111227_225428.jpg

Anyone want to tell me something about the rifle that'll be handy? Bullets, attachment rails I could put on, tips on cleaning etc...

2. Buffalo11

Buffalo11 New Member

Cleaning on all my weapons I use bore snakes simple and quite good results..Taking the bolt out of a Marlin requires one screw and a drop out.. Go online and fine a manual for yours.. For deer hunting I reload my own..using a 125gr. #2020 sierra bullet. Then just go shoot with very low recoil in my case.

Enjoy the Marlin
    wPm

3. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Congrat's. Hope you love it as much as I love mine.

4. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Great gun

ForumRunner_20111228_142207.jpg

Ima shoot it new years eve

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Do you mean Taliban style into the air? Or do you just mean on that day you're going to the range?

6. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

That came out wrong, no im going to a range

7. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I got a Marlin .30-30 for Christmas. Disappointment... lever is not right, won't lock in the closed position, caused a misfire because the bolt didn't fully close. Model 336W. Marlin wants it back to fix it. Marlin has been good about it, sent a shipping label for the return. All I am out is time. Really want that gun to work. Hope yours provides you years of enjoyment.

8. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Mine works fine the 336c. Didnt you take a look at the gun before you took it home to see that it was mest up.

9. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I did ask at my FFL, as I thought it was odd. They said it was "normal" that the lever did not lock in the up position unless the hammer was cocked, saftey interlocks... well in the store it acted as they said. Its been about 30 years since I handled a lever action so I took them at their word. But out at the range it became clear that something was amiss. But like I said Marlin was good to take it back with a shipping label so the gun is now going for a joy ride in the big brown truck.

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Use a cleaning rod, one piece, with good brushes an have alot of patches on hand. I do know for a fact that bore snakes do not properly clean a barrel if u wish test it out clean with one the use a rod an brush then run a patch through u will see that the bore snake is not a good cleaning tool. It has its place tho like at camp for a quick clean after a rainy day hunting

11. 69willys

69willys New Member

I love my 336c. Had it for years now was my first deer rifle. I sold it a gun store so I could put the down on an engagment ring. One year later ring paid off and engament called off I walked into the same gun shop and saw my rifle on the rack. I was certain it was mine I had put a few things on her that made mine unique. Asked the gentleman at the counter to look at it and bam...... serial number was exact match to the one on the back of my nra card in my wallet where I write all my serial numbers to firearms... end of the story glad thej womans gone and the gun is back home... the 30-30 BORE Snake has been my favorite cleaning tool... and Hornady's leverevolution ammo is no joke. It made my rifle a shooting range tag along and it is has great take down power on idaho mule deer and black bear.

12. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Ya I was intrested into that ammo what grain do you get

13. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I like the wide loop on yours. At some point in time I will have to order one for mine.

14. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Ya I shot my neighbors winchester with the normal loop I like my wide loop alot better

15. Retcop

Retcop New Member

I bought my 336 C in the early 70's and have taken several deer with it. Its Still one of my favorite rifles. I also have three other marlin rifles and they are the older one's that were made by Marlin before the sell out to Remington. I hope yours serves you as well as mine has severed Me.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Nice rifle. Very beautiful.

When I was a kid in high school, I really wanted one of those too.

The lever action .30-30 was the state of the art saddle gun of the U.S. Cavalry of the 1890s. It then became popular with frontiersmen and it has since become a classic for entry level deer hunters.

The USMC issued me an M-14 back in the day and said, "take this, this is your only friend." I soon forgot about the .30-30 thereafter.

Enjoy yours. I had to skip that step.

Obviously the military does not use the .30-30 or the M-14 anymore. They prefer the newly designed M-4 instead.

If it were not for deer, the .30-30 would have disappeared a long time ago.

Hogs too. It is great for bagging hogs as well. And black bears. It has probably also killed a lot of mountain lions also, but you don't see many of them anymore. In fact, you would need a dog pack to help you find one now.

But there are still plenty of deer, hogs, and black bears everywhere, in most states. So you will enjoy it.

Since it was originally a military weapon, it also works well for home defense too.

17. 69willys

69willys New Member

I use the shelf 160 grain. It works wonderfully. Also if you get into reloading it really is fun to see just how much versatility there is with that round. I've made 300 yard shots at the range with no huge compensation needed its fun when guys look at you twice and then ask that's a 30~30 right.

18. 69willys

69willys New Member

The knock down power on game is almost amazing it smokes Mullies in their tracks it behaves allot like a core lockt bullet from rem but more like the range of a hornady sst. Im not exaggerating that part. hornady has a great video show casing the bullet

19. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I think my gun needed oil it was hard to feed the bullets