Just Got My Carry Permit.....

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by gandog56, Sep 17, 2012.

1. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

...so TA DA! I bought this Smith & Wesson Bodygaurd .380 with laser.

[​IMG]

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Congratulations!
    As a responsible owner and representative for the rest of us, please...
    Be careful
    Use good judgment
    Become proficient with the S&W
    and provide a range report

3. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Congrats and yes be very responsible!!

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Congrats on the permit, remember that when you carry a friearm you are held to a higher standard than other people "and the sheep", just be sure to use your head and not cause any uneeded attention to yourself. Carrying a firearm doesnt make you a badass, just more protected. Sharpen up your awareness skills and always stay aware of your environment and who is in it. Even if someone else is showing their *** always keep your head and never use your gun as an intimidation tool. Then if the time ever arises,stay calm, shoot straight, and stop the threat.

Good luck to you

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Belated congrats, Gandog56! I have a Bodyguard 380 and will share some thoughts:
    You may notice a long and rather heavy trigger pull, think of it as a safety system for those less-than-clean pulls from concealment. With a full mag and one in the spout the BG will shoot when you pull the trigger and that trigger has no little "internal safety" levers on it. The thumb safety is stiff and hard to turn off and on so if you flick it off when you are in an "alert" mode you will feel and be safer.
    That .380 auto is a snappy little rascal and rewards a slow and careful target-style trigger pull with all kinds of gyrations at the end of your arm. I have found that during quick-fire drills one doesn't seem to notice the activity and accuracy at combat distances (under ten feet) improves.
    Most Bodyguards have really stiff and difficult laser buttons but there are fixes available on the Smith & Wesson Forum site. If yours came with an easy, soft switch...I am envious!
    If you need something a tiny bit more substantial in your hand, Pachmayr has a little grip sleeve that provides a bit of palm-swell and absorbes some of that .380 auto recoil fury. I really like the improvement!
    The front sight is useless in low light IMO, so try getting some reflective white tape from an auto parts store and cut a sliver of the stuff and stick it on the back of your front sight. It will help, I promise; but if it isn't enough you may want to look at the Big Eye by HyViz Sights. Anything that helps you see just where the muzzle of the gun is really helps your shooting,
    Enjoy your new S&W, it may be little but it has really sharp teeth (and have a spare magazine of those teeth on you, just in case).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

As to the trigger pull, I was thinking it might be normal for a DAO pistol, which I own no others guns with.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Blah!

Go shoot a hobo immediately.

Its exhilarating!

8. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Nice dude! I think that bodyguard is a nice choice. Plenty of my club buddies "carry" full size, .45, 1911s, but for some reason, most of the times I ask them if they are carrying they say "no dude, I don't need it today". Weird.

9. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Dialing in my laser. Was hitting pretty consistent bulls after.

[​IMG]

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The BG is a nice lookin gun man, and of course S&W makes a very solid handgun.

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

Must be nice to know ahead of time when and where you're going to need to carry. :rolleyes:

12. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

"Hey honey, mark they calendar, I'm gonna have some guys try to mug me on the 28th. Remind me to bring my .45 to work."

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Congrats , and remember *THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IN A DEFENSIVE SITUATION*

.....And that is DO NOT EVER hold the gun sideways .... I mean it just makes you look really silly .

14. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I disagree. We all know Rule #1 of gunfights:

"Bring a gun."

15. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Rule number one of gunfights is don't get involved in the first place. If you're stuck in a legitimate gunfight rather than a skirmish with two or three shots fires than you are fubar.

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You may be fubar, im going home at the end of the evening

17. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I'm not disagreeing about going home but there's a difference between shooting to protect yourself and just getting in a firefight. The objective should always be to disengage safely. Create an opening g and get away is all I'm saying

18. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

I agree, avoid if possible. But be ready if that is not an option.

Why can't the rabid anti-gun nuts see this?

19. XsV

XsV New Member

I dunno... Chris Tucker looked cool in Rush Hour 2 when he did it. :rolleyes: