Just got back from the gun show.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rick1967, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I went to the gun show in Grand Junction with my friend. These people must think there is still a shortage! There were people trying to sell used guns for more than new ones. I am not talking about collectables. There was a guy trying to sell a couple High Point pistols. One was a .380. The other was a 9mm. He wanted $250 for a used High Point 9mm! The only stuff that was affordable was old crap with cracked stocks and stuff like that.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hang in there, the good stuff will show up.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

Last couple of shows I went to were similar. Doesn't matter, going to a gun show is a political statement even if you don't find a decent deal.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 for freefall. If the gunshows were not made up primarily of gunshops trying to sell their goods, there would not be enough sellers and traders to make it worth while.
    (If you continue to look, you may come across some great deals like I have.)

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

never know what you will find at a gun show. ive passed on things i wanted only to find it for a reasonable price several shows later. its the sellers perogative to sell at a price they choose no one is forced to buy.

6. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Saw a brand new High point 9mm for $159.00 at the El Paso show. It didn't last long.

7. justdon

justdon New Member

Be patient you'll find what youre looking for. i have found some of my best deals at pawn shops and face to face deals. And if the ones at the gun shows can't sell them they will come down on their prices.

8. Rick1967

Yea, I will keep spending my six bucks to get in, even if I don't buy anything. I was hoping to find a 45 colt derringer. No such luck. I collect things that you don't buy ammo for at walmart. So I usually look at the gun shows. I will be getting some dies for my mosin pretty soon. I foud some reloadable ammo at Cabellas after leaving the gun show emplty handed. Reloadable 7.62x54R is not all that common. $16 for a box of 20. I was happy with that.

9. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I like the gun shows that run Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon and provide a ticket option for the entire run. I try to arrive early as possible on Friday, and if I scope out something I like but can't get the price I want, I come back close to the Sunday afternoon closing time for one final offer. In the meantime, I search out the other good buys if there are any.

10. justdon

justdon New Member

There you go man at least the day was not wasted. You didn't go home empty handed.

11. Rick1967

I may go back Sunday. I can't think of a better way to spend six bucks.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It's like that here at gunshows. I've looked around and found some good deals though. $8 to get in here!

13. WDB

WDB New Member

There is a mix of gun shows in Washington. The one I prefer is Washington Arms Collectors. To buy firearms you have to be a member, Membership is about $35 per year and they do a background check. There are two shows a month and members get in free. Lots of buy/sell/trade going on and if you look always seems to be a reasonable deal on some nice firearms. A few of the regular sellers say they make most of there money off the inexpensive firearms, just not a lot of margine on the quality firearms as the people buying them know what they are worth and are looking for a deal.

14. adjohns3

adjohns3 New Member

Still $8 down our way to get in and last weekend I saw NO DEALS.

I thought ammo was coming down some, especially 380, but was wrong on that too!

:confused:

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Out here it is $5.00 to get in.

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

The shows are always worth the price of admission but you really have to know what to look for before buying anything off the wall. The problem with many older firearms, and I don't mean antique, is finding replacement parts. I've seen lots of junk at the shows, although, I've picked up a couple of good deals, traded a Ruger Red Label for my first AR.

I try to only buy from sellers I met at passed gun shows. Otherwise, your local gun store is the best place to look for deals as you might have some recourse in case something is wrong with the firearm.

Good luck but be wary wary careful when buying at the shows.

17. cmhill

cmhill New Member

we sell the hi-points all day everydayfor around 159.00 used is more like 85.00-100.00

18. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I don't really look at what's on the tables. Sometimes I am looking for a specialty item, I will search for it.

I watch the aisles. The guy that needs to sell and bargain is carrying your next purchase. Of course, it doesn't always pan out, and , you better be able to know a lemon when you see it, but I've negotiated some killer deals right in front of the table seller who just offered the guy peanuts for that gun he hauled in all the way from home.

If I ever need to sell, (which is hardly ever), I do the same ......talk to the folks who are strolling and looking:)

19. Rick1967

I was standing in line at a pawn shop when I guy refused to accept $300 for an AR. I don't know what brand it was. But who cares. The guy actually thought about it for a while before saying no. I was wishing I had about $400 with me!

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Maybe time to move up to at least the 9 mike-mike...?