Just got a Russian Nagant 1895 Revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by NitroxAZ, Sep 13, 2009.

1. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I just bought one yesterdat at the gun show. Anybody know much about these things? The ammo for it is really strange looking. I bought it just for the history aspect and the price was right. It has a really hard trigger pull.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They're definitely a unique revolver and ammunition is relatively cheap. Enjoy that rascal. New guns are always fun. ;)

3. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

Nagant

the french had a slightly different model.you can make cartridges from 32/20.with an .32 cal bullet.they also sell cylinders for 32 S&W longs.
    they sell for $79 in Sarco and others.

4. troy2000

troy2000 New Member

They can be surprisingly accurate little guns, when fired single-action. The Russians used them in international target competition.

Fiocchi sells wadcutter target ammo that's specifically intended for punching holes in paper, and I've bought some Russian target stuff in yellow boxes that also works well, but is dirty to shoot (you can see a puff of smoke when you pull the trigger).

I've had good luck shooting .32 S&W Long, too, although mine will occasionally spit a little lead sideways using it. And I've heard of people using .32 H&R Magnum.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Great gun! Post a range report when you can.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

.32 mags will work, but the cases will bulge.

The coolest thing about it is the fact that the cylinder moves up and forward to seal against the breach, supposedly to eliminate the gap and maintain pressure.

Sturdy gun, and a sneaky 7th shot.;)

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Good info. I never really thought about posting a range report with it. I bought it for the historical value. I have newer weapons but have really been getting into the older stuff. I think I will stick with the ammo that is made for it and not chance the other calibers.

8. meek

meek New Member

You got any Pics?

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I will try to post some tonight when I get home.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Here are a couple of pictures of it.

[​IMG]

Note the "sneaky" 7th shot. BWAHAHAHA

[​IMG]

11. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Range report posted.

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

what did that cost you i really like it, might start looking around for one.

13. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

You should supress it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0]YouTube - Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA)[/ame]

14. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

They are only $79 or so. The ammo is about $25 for 50 rounds. A little pricey but it is not an every day/week shooter for me. I love the history of the older guns. If you look closely at the pics I posted you can the the checkered grips are also along the back and the front of the grip. Pretty cool attention to detail if you ask me.

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I have seen that before. Too funny. I guess you can do any number of things to these older guns like the Mosin's because they are so inexpensive right now. At some point they will dry up and people will be kicking themselves for doing stuff like that to them or for not picking them up at the bargain prices they are now.

16. sasquatchhunter

sasquatchhunter New Member

wow. Im gonna have to pick one of these up somewhere. I really like those grips

17. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Nice! Which arsenal did it come out of?
    I'm working on fitting a .32acp cylinder to mine. Just have to finish a couple dozen other projects before I can get back to it. :(

18. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

It is from the Tula Arsenal.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

20. opaww

opaww New Member

The Nagant revolver was made with a heavy trigger pull. Lots of thing happening at the same time, Hammer moves, cylinder rotates and moves forward to make a seal on the barrel. All with a single pull of the trigger.

When watching Hollywood movies showing a suppressed revolver the Hollywood concept is that it makes no noise. But sense the cylinders on any revolver does not seal to the barrel gas escapes and produces part of the report heard.

The Nagant revolver was one of the few successful suppressed revolvers because of the cylinder/barrel seal.