Just got a Beretta PX4 Storm!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ThorsHammer, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I just purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Model F the other week and I am really excited about this handgun! I took it to the range the same day that I bought it and put 150 rounds through it. Flawless. This is the first handgun I have ever owned, let alone fired. So with average groupings of around 2-3 inches at 7 yards, I am not too ashamed. My first trip to the range was scary loud, especially since there was one guy on either side of me firing off .45 ACPs at regular intervals. I jumped like a spooked buck every time they fired. :D

Now for some pictures of this beautiful piece of Italian engineering (shown here with some Federal Premium 135gr Hydra-Shok JHPs):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to the range again some time soon so I will post a range report when I do. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what types of targets I should start out with for my range report?

Also, let me know if the images stop working since I copied the URLs from inside my Picasa Web album.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great looking gun! Glad you like it and it is accurate per your groupings.

I would use the 'shoot-n-see' targets. Easily shows your bullet placement from downrange. :)

3. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I Googled "shoot-n-see," and from what I can tell they are the dark targets, right? Are there any specific targets I should opt for when beginning as a shooter? When I shot my first 150 rounds I used rifle figure targets and was able to place my shots with pretty decent accuracy on them as I said before.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

ThorsHammer,

Shoot-n-see are targets that may be black on the face, but a chartreuse or other bright color appears where your shot penetrates the target. They are great for 'finding your sight line'.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

As long as you can see the holes from where you're shooting it really doesn't matter. The Shoot-n-see targets pretty much' highlight' where you hit like this.

[​IMG]

:)

6. group17

group17 New Member

Gotta love those Beretta's!

7. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Ah, neat! I wonder if they have those at the range, or if I am allowed to bring my own targets there. Either way, is there anywhere in particular you recommend I get the targets from?

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I get mine at wal-mart. :)

9. Grey

Grey New Member

Nice! But just wait until you get into rifles...now that is loud.
    You might want to research hollow point ammo because from what I've heard and read Hydra-Shok isnt too great for defense. Just my eleventeen cents.

10. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

What the crap? Where did you hear/read that? I've been carrying the stuff since i haven't been able to find any more Ranger SXT and have heard very, very good things about it...

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Go here and select your handgun and loads for effectiveness. :)

Stopping Power

Jack

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Every time I place an order with MidwayUSA I check what targets are on sale, there's always a sale!

Here's the current 'on sale' targets;

Caldwell Targets Orange Peel 5.5" Self-Adhesive Bullseye 50 Sheet Pack Factory Seconds - MidwayUSA

(<15¢/target is a steal for show-me targets!)

Midway lists them as factory seconds but I've been buying them for years and never found the reason for 2nd, I managed to penetrate everyone with my #2 pencil. [​IMG]

As far as being allowed to take your targets to the range I follow 'Stuart's Law of Retroaction' simply stated, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Any range worth it's salt will not require you to buy anything but 'time'. If they do, find another range!

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've never seen or heard anything to indicate that HydraShoks are any less effective than the other major HP staples (Ranger Talon, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, etc).

One defense ammo tip that does seem to have some traction is that heavier is not always better for many loads. There's a lot of evidence out there that it's best to stick to the lighter weights for 9mm, 357sig, 357mag (all 125gr, as opposed to the 140+ stuff), as well as 40sw and 10mm (135-165gr, rather than 180gr).

I know there's always the "bigger hole" argument, but the speed and expansion of the lighter JHPs often answer than question just fine.

14. group17

group17 New Member

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
    [​IMG]

15. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Those rounds I have are hollow points, or no? Take a look at the top picture. Or do I have my ammunition lore totally mixed up? The ones I got are low recoil and reputedly expand really well, so I don't have to worry about shooting through eighteen walls and killing my neighbor's cat or some such.

16. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Thanks for the great tip! I will definitely go there and check out what they have! I actually think the range I go to will allow me to bring my own targets because when I was there the lady at the counter did ask me if I needed targets as well.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

It sounds like you picked one that you enjoy shooting; i think that is one of the most important things to want in a handgun.

You mentioned that it was "loud"; i hope you are using some kind of hearing protection. The cheapo foam earplugs help some & are fairly non-annoying to me. I plan to pick up some better ear muff type hearing protection soon.

18. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Yeah, I was using ear protection, I used the muff type. It was my first time at a range, ever, so I was a bit jumpy at first! Passed after the first clip or so that I fired.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Good choice! I had one in .40 and really liked it.

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Huh? Never heard that before!