Just curious.....

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by NM-LEO, May 28, 2012.

1. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

This is by no means trying to start a war, but I've had this question burning in my mind for quite a while:

How many of you that own AKs, Dragunovs, or SKS weapons are combat veterans that have seen the business end of them? And if you truly have, WHY ON EARTH own one??

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

This has been covered here. I'm a combat vet/CIB holder w/ the 10th MNT. and have owned a few AK varients.

I don't see why being on the business end of one would effect anything. They are a capable rifle.

3. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

When I was in the service the cross trained us to use these weapons in case we found ourselves having them as our only option should our battle weapon become unusable.

This gives you an intimate relationship with them that sometimes turns into a love affair.

Thankfully I was immune to their wiles, and still love American made weapons only.

However, I understand the why!

4. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Yeah when I was in I was trained on them too, I just never have been interested in em.

I guess maybe after spending 52 months deployed all over sorts made me hate them. As far as capability, they have it, but I was just wondering.... Basically wanted to see how many vets own them

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Not trying to flame on you but you are thinking like a liberal. These guns are inanimate objects they don't hate you. Hating them is pointless, they don't care. The problem wasn't with the weapons pointed at you it was with the people pointing them.

6. JSW79

JSW79 New Member

Whats wrong with pointing their guns back at them?

7. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

A liberal? How so?

I was asking more or less for people's thoughts.

I spent 53 months deployed, facing these weapons. I don't like them, and to me, it would be a little upsetting to own one that looks exactly like what killed my friends. Call it a trigger.

That isn't liberal, that's asking for insight. I was basically wondering what other COMBAT veterans thought of them; not asking for opinions of people that haven't actually had them pointed into their faces or seen the damage they've seen them cause.

8. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Thank ya. That's the sort of response I was seeking. They ARE capable weapons, but doesn't mean that everyone perceives them the same way. Thank ya!

9. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

No disrespect, but you are being entirely too dramatic about a weapon. Things happen, but the guns did not do it to you or your friends.

10. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Good god! I'm asking other guys OPINIONS.

Did you go to combat?

If not, the question wasn't meant for you, "no offense".

Let me spell it out as simply as possible, once again

IF YOU ARE A COMBAT VETERAN, THAT HAS FACED THESE SPECIFIC WEAPONS, WHAT ATE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THEM? DO YOU OWN THEM?

11. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

I,ve never had one of these weapons used against me in combat, but as for why i've owned them in the past............Throw one in the mud, fill it up with dirt and then pull the trigger, they still fire. Will your AR do the same?

12. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Actually, yes it will ;)

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

:confused:Thats a converted (Russian) Saiga in your avatar... You love american made weapons only?:confused:

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For my first SKS I owned (actually a type 56 from China) the guy that had it did not need it any more.

During WW 2, there were a LOT of Lugers in duffel bags. A lot of Arisakas made it back to the US. The Jews that settled Israel in the late 1940s were quite happy to get 98K's.

No, am not going to flame you- just have a different view- but I can understand yours. Knew a gent that was a POW of Japan. Would have nothing in his house that was made in Japan. As far as cars, he would walk before setting foot in a Datsun or Honda.

Like all of us, he had his demons to deal with in his way. You got yours, I got mine. It is what is is, bro- or as the saying was common among us old farts- it don't mean nothing.

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

They've responded but you're only looking for replies that support your preexisting thoughts on the topic.

I'm a vet and have experienced loss. I think you're being dramatic.

16. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Thank you, I appreciate the answer. There was actually some thought put into it, cane.

Good input!

17. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Call it what you want, pal. I wanted responses from actual combat veterans, and I believe I've gotten two. Yours included. Wasn't looking for answers by trolls or dooshbags offering their insight on how I'm acting.

18. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I have been on the business end of a few so i will stand by my previous statement.

19. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Good for you ;)

20. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

I served in Afghanistan, Chechnya, and Georgia and we had our weapons turned against us a few times. Do I hate the weapon, no the user yes. I lost many friends, and comrades as the rest of you have.