Just built my first rifle!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Todd_, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Yea, it turned out pretty much exactly how I wanted it. It's not complete yet, there is a new magpul acs-l stock in FDE coming as well as a gunfighter charging handle, plus my optics should arrive tomorrow, but here is what I have so far :)

Sorry about pic quality, only have my phone to take em with.

Specs:
    PSA 16" 1:7 chrome lined barrel
    Low profile mid length gas system
    MI T15 hand guard
    PSA BCG
    Magpul MBUS (front and rear)
    Delton stripped lower
    PSA LPK
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul MOE stock (getting switched for the acs-l for a little more substance)
    Magpul AFG (I went with gen1, I like the rounded sides for my grip style)
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul trigger guard
    Harris swivel 6-9" bipod
    VTAC enhanced 2 point sling
    Magpul ASAP plate

Have a 4-16x40 piece of awesome vortex glass coming tomorrow with a Burris P.E.P.R mount as well as a Primary arms micro that's going to mount to a scope mounted rail segment. Should be right around 1 to 2 o'clock and a slight can't of the weapon should change my line of sight from the glass to the micro... We will see!

Can't wait to shoot her, she came out exactly like I pictured her..... Simply beautiful. Now time to rough her up!

Attached Files:

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Todd, that is one nice looking firearm. Well done!!! I'll post pics of mine in my thread as I go along. I'd make videos, but that'd be like Helen Keller directing traffic.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Wow whatta looker! Gratz!

I'm kinda curious tho, what's the thing weigh?

4. B33zyB4by

B33zyB4by New Member

I am also curious about the weight.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice minus the barfcom lower ;)

6. jg3

jg3 New Member

And what to you have against ar15.com??

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Seriously? You mean other than the stroking of anything, quality or not, as long as the manufacturer of said product pays up? I could go on but that should be more than enough in the eyes of anyone looking for real unbiased information.

8. jg3

jg3 New Member

And I suppose your the one to give unbiased information...hasnt seemed that way during my short time on this forum

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What bias do I hold? A bias for quality? FO SHO :D

I would never push crap for a dollar, ask my boss. I get "talked to" all the time at work for not reaching sales "goals". I refuse to talk people into something that doesn't fit their needs. It's called integrity.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Easy there guys, I like both forums and would like an disagreement you two have discussed elsewhere of you wouldn't mind... call it a personal favor. I want nothing to detract from the beauty of the new pictures I have to upload! These are two sets of pictures, the first is the set from this morning before I went to the range. These are my rifle with the new vortex diamondback on it. Here they are!

(updated stats and weight coming with the next set of pictures/post)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  11. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Here are the newest pictures! When i got home from the range my Primary Arms Micro dot was sitting on the bed, so I threw that baby on with the mount I ordered with it.

Oh, and the range report? Not a SINGLE malfunction. With the vortex scope, it took three groups of three for me to zero it in, It shot smooth, was comfortable, and I LOVED it. I am really looking forward to the new Magpul ACS-L stock I have coming with the .70 buttpad. I need a little extra LOP and the new ACS-L offers a sturdier stock for only an extra .27 of a pound. (MOE is .50, ACS-L is .77)

Stats on the gun? Fully operational, all attachments mounted on the rifle with a loaded magazine it weighs just over 11 pounds I believe. I'll check in a bit, I have it written down but not on me. It's definitely not the lightest AR, but hell, 11 pounds for a fully loaded rifle with gear for both long range and CQB installed, the closest I could get to a do it all rifle... I'll take it. Just need a light now (I have a Streamlight TLR-1 on the HD shotgun, i think I'll keep it there).

UPDATE ON WEIGHT: This rifle weighs 10.3 lbs empty and 11.6 lbs loaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There we go!

12. jg3

jg3 New Member

your totally right, my apologies...excellent looking rifle!!

13. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Thank you on both accounts, good sir!

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Todd, I was just giving you crap. I didn't figure many would catch on to the reference.

Have you shot w/ the Vortex yet. They have been getting a lot of good press.

15. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Sure have. When sighting it in I was around 7" low @ 25yds, and after another three groups of three I was putting 3 rounds in the size of a nickel pretty consistently (all i had access to was an indoor range at this time). The glass was clear, the dials were very sturdy and had very noticeable 1/4 MoA clicks, and I am VERY pleased with the scope.

The rifle itself also shot like a dream. Very smooth, I just need a little longer LOP so that's why I have the ACS-L stock on the way with an extended buttpad, I should get an available extra 2" to my LOP.

I am beyond pleased with this rifle. I cant wait to get it out some more and really abuse it.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You'll like the ACS-L

I'm thinking about their 1-4x when money becomes available.

17. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I never understood the draw of a 1-4x scope.... it doesnt compute for me. if I wanted 1x, I wouldnt want anyhing but an Eotech or some other TWO EYES OPEN type optic. Situation awareness is big for me. I dont want to look down a tube for no magnification. If you want 1x that can be magnified, I say grab a magnifier. Eotech (3x), Aimpoint (3x), or even Primary Arms (3x, 6x) all allow me to choose 1x or magnified, and when I'm on 1x it allows me true two-eyes shooting.

Explain to me why the 1-4x scopes are so damn popular! (AND expensive!)

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

One word, 3Gun.

Leupold makes a 1-8 but it's the price of a small car.

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

UNGH.....Gives a new meaning to 3gun......$3G :D

20. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I like this. Many people lack said integrity these days...anyways carry on. :)

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\