Just bought new AR... new to this need input

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Raineman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Raineman

Raineman New Member

Hello all. I am new to this and thought I would ask for some input. I just ordered my Stag Arms Ar-15 1L. Yes a left handed one. Any suggestions on this rifle. Has anyone had any dealings with it. And preferences on MODS to do to it. Please let me know. Your knowledge is like gold to me. Thanks

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Get some ammo and give us a range report , every single gun will vary a little bit , I might suggest buying a couple boxes of brass and a couple boxes of steel cased ammo to see if it will shoot what ever you put in it .

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Don't go slapping a bunch of CAA, Mako, UTG or whatever lights, lasers, grip pods and all that other junk that everyone is doing. "Tricking Out" "Modding" w/o knowing what you need in order to shoot better is pointless as is slapping on as much cheap **** as possible because some other idiot did it as well because it looks cool. Well it doesn't.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Until you're sure it works fine, making changes is the last thing you should do. Shoot lots of ammo, give her a good shakeout and zero. Ammo and good mags, that's what you want now.

5. Raineman

Raineman New Member

Thanks guys. I was only thinking about changing the hand rail. I am with MJKEAT, I dont want my rifle looking like and transformer. Quality over quantity. I will re post after I go to the range . Thanks again guys

6. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

These UTG Rail Guards are the best I have found, they fit tightly and being rubber protect much better then hard plastic guards. They are in small sections so you can really fit them in where needed. Cost $12.95US.
    Just because they don't cost like a set of Wilson Combat rail covers at around $100 US does not mean there not quality.
    I have my UTG rail guards on my $2,900 FNSCAR 16s.
    [​IMG]

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm not going to try and explain it as it's obvious there is a disconnect somewhere.

I will say money has nothing to do w/ it.

8. richone

richone New Member

I TO HAVE JUST PURCHASES A A STAG AR15 IN LEFT HAND . BEEN A WEEK HAVE STILL NOT FIRED IT . WAITING ON SOME GEAR SUCH AS AMMO , CASE AND RIFLE REST AND TRYING TO PICK A SCOPE TO USE WITH THIS BAD BOY . HOPE TO BUST SOME CAPS THIS WEEKEND . ONE THING IT LOOKS super , thank stag arms for the lefty model ! richone

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Man, I too have the UTG covers, and the fact that they are in small sections is the ONLY reason I bought them. One of the ranges I belong to requires you to have your rifle "rested", and they made it easy to install/uninstall a bipod since that's the only time I use one. Since Troy and others now have "small" covers readily available, I'm in the process of converting.

The UTG's come off EASILY, and if I were doing something besides range/plinking stuff I wouldn't own them. People who actually engage in HARD USE with their weapons, don't like them for good reason.

You don't have to come anywhere NEAR $100 to get quality rail covers.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah, then there's that....

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Well why should they not? Airsoft guns don't get hot. It's not so much UTG as it is people trying to use their stuff on real firearms. I remember walking into an Airsoft shop looking for soft gear ( at the time we didn't have a shop dealing in that stuff) and the guy kept telling me how it's all the same stuff and could be used on real firearms. Besides that it was a family run biz and they were fun to talk to about airsoft stuff. They also were really good for their sport w/i the community. Sad thing is they closed shop fairly quick. I was this close to getting into airsoft. As lame as it is it can be a good training experience if done correctly.

12. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I'd shoot at least 500rds through it and get familiar with the platform before doing any mods. At that point you can decide what you ACTUALLY want/need to better adhere your rifle to you. Putting too many accessories on just adds weight and leads to wasted energy trying to shoot your "movie qualified tacticool" rifle that weighs like 15 pounds give or take. Keep it simple and you will be more than happy with it :cool:

13. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

The less you do the less can go wrong...
    I messed up as a newb by purchasing a Stag model 2 and "tricking" it out. About 1 week in of my tricked out AR. I can say all that bs I put on is now off and sold to people making the mistake I did. Don't buy anything extra unless you plan on using it daily. Only thing left on my "tricked" out stag is my Eotech 512, quad rail forward grip and sure fire I use this gun as my everyday go to gun. Anyways listen to the folks on here they do know a thing or 2

14. Raineman

Raineman New Member

This forum is sweet. You guys have alot of great insight. I should be getting it to day since they had to order.thats the downfall of being a south paw. Will take it to range and do what you all suggest. Thanks again

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

More ProN!

We need our visuals!

Go shoot it 1000 rounds and break it in! I'm. Sure you'll have a better understanding about what you want and what you need.

For a fighting carbine all you need is a good sling, RDS, a light and lots of magazines. Everthing else is just bling.

That being said, my carbines a all blings out.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

ditto that! I want pics and a range report. If you must get some new gear immediately, go for some good magazines. My vote is for magpul: inexpensive and reliable.

17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Bec inc. Makes a scope just for the AR platform in .223/5.56. Look into it. I am about to order one. Just thought id let you know. Have fun!

18. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I have a right handed mod 1 stag. I love it! Shoot it! Shoot it! Shoot it! What are the specs on the barrel on you're rifle?

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Despite some opinions I've been running a UTG aluminum quad rail for several years with no issues. It's a good product and a nice upgrade if your looking to do a side sling mount or a foreward grip. A buddy has the same Stag only a righty and is quite happy with it. You made a good selection.

My only suggestions for internal mods would be:

1. One of the excellent drop in trigger units. This will make a huge difference in accuracy, especially offhand. I went with a Chip McCormic unit for $160 about 8 years ago. It breaks like a glass rod at 3.5 lbs and every AR owner that's shot my rifle runs out and orders one.

2. Chrome bolt/bolt carrier group. You've probably heard about the 1 AR DRAWBACK being how the DGI system vents hot gas into the receiver. It's not a problem. Stoner designed it this way to eliminate the piston found on most self loaders at the time and therefore reduce recoil and muzzle rise but it does make clean up a lot more time consuming. The chrome plated units wipe down much easier than the standard mil spec finish. Rock River makes a good one available online for $145.00

The only other problem I've had with this platform is it's modular nature. You will find that buying the rifle is just the beginning. Most of us could have had 3 guns for the cost of all the add ons we've tried over the years.

It is truly the Malibu Barbie for guys. Have Fun and be safe.

Tack