Just Bought a Stag

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ALS11, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

Today I made the move. I got a Stag mdl. 4. It was difficult trying to decide what to buy. There is so much info out there that it makes your head spin. I always liked the carbines but I am going to shoot paper at 100 yds., so the 20 in. brl. and solid stock. I went to Jo Jo's Gun Works to just "talk" about what I might want. Yea right, "just talk". Well they had this "used" unfired Stag for such a good price that I couldn't pass it up. Of course I had to add a couple of "improvements", a better muzzle break and a 2 stage trigger to start with. Next I'm going to need a scope and maybe a bipod. I can't wait to pop off some rounds. I'll let you know how I like it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Congratulations, now send some rounds down range.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

good choice. i also own a model 4. its a nice rifle. mine had an extra loud buffer n spring so i replaced that and have been a lot happier... now show us them pics

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I think you will be happy with your new Stag. My impression of them is that they are reliable and accurate.

Gonna' need pictures for sure!!! :cool:

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Very nice! I have a model 2 and it's been outstanding. No problems, tight, and very accurate.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Stag builds a fine rifle. And I believe the trigger in it is a Rock River 2 Stage which is one of the best made. ENJOY! And send us some range reports.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hope the Stag works out well for you. Nice to go with a local (to you) company.

8. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

Went to the range this morning. Tried 3 brands of ammo. Popped off 120 rounds. I set up 2 targets. One at 50 yds. and one at 100 yds.. The sun was in my eyes and I need a new pair of glasses but all and all I don't think I did too bad for the first shoot. I'm happy with my new rifle. It will only get better and was a fun morning.

Attached Files:

9. DrewNJNC

DrewNJNC New Member

Congrats on the buy, looking to do the same soon myself. Good groupings too, but I noticed a little low from center or low left. As an avid pistol shooter that usually means you were right handed and slapping the trigger a bit as opposed to a gentle squeeze leading to the break. The sights could be off a bit too, but just figured I'd put the trigger thing out there to see if it helps. Were you shooting standing up or on a rest?

10. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

I was using a rest. I'm mostly a pistol shooter too. Yes I am right handed and think I do pull to the left a bit. I was mostly just trying to see how good I could group them. I had a Rock River Arms National Match Trigger installed when I got it. I was surprised that there seems to be quite a bit of creep in it. Also it seems to be a bit heavy. I'd be surprised if it was 3 lbs or less too. I'll have to look into that.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You got a really good rifle there, i have a Stag/Magpul 5.56 and love it

ForumRunner_20111010_220811.jpg

12. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

CONGRATS on your new rig!

Regarding your Trigger Pull, here's a chart that helped me out in the past.....

http://www.is-lan.com/challenge/images/Pistol-Correction.pdf

I use Bipods on most of the Rifles/Carbines I shoot. I'd recommend adding a Lower Rail to your Hand Guard... if you can... and attach the Bipod to that. I wouldn't recommend adding the Bipod directly to the Barrel.

As for Scopes, check out Natchez & SWFA. They have some great prices! I just picked up a Close-Out Nitrex (Weaver) TR1 4-16x50 w/TrexPlex Reticle, that listed for $410, for $179.95 at Natchez.

Best of Luck & Enjoy!

Cheers!

BB

13. Tinob

Tinob New Member

I have a model 2 myself and I love it

14. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I have a model 2 as well, nothing but good things to say about it. Enojy sir