Just bought a savage axis xp

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by PalmBeachF150, Jun 12, 2012.

1. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Hey everyone new to the forum. Just Bought a savage axis xp .243win. It's my first gun. Want to know if anyone has shot it. Any pros or cons. Does anyone think it's a good rifle for a first time hunter? Thanks for anyone that can reply.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have a savage axis in .223. In my opinion it is an excellent rifle for hunting. It is very accurate for the price. I get sub Moa groups with it all day long the only thing that is absolutely terrible on it is the trigger. Mine is a 7.5 pound trigger pull.

3. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Awesome thanks for the reply. I was reading and it says it has a 5lb trigger. Is the gun easy to clean. And how much is the recoil can't test it till next week. 5 day waiting period.

4. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

That sucks that you have a waiting period. The gun is extremely easy to clean. I've shot my friends .243 savage and the recoil is very minimal, you won't have to worry about scope eye!

5. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

I'm new to this but I'm guessing scope eye is when it has a strong recoil and gets you in the face? Haha if it is I bet it sucks. Yea I want my first gun something I can clean and take care of easy. I don't have my concealed permit yet so have to wait, which sucks.

6. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

7. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Most savage models in general are very reputable in the sense of accuracy, handling, and reliability. I owned a 223 savage rifle. That is what i learnt to hunt and shoot on. Perfect rifle!

(off topic, but if this is your first gun, I just think you should've invested in a 22lr...you can learn the very basics first before getting into full on hunting and shooting just my .02)

8. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Going to try out the trigger on it when I get it and see how I like it

I actually was going to get a .22lr first but I was told to just start off with a bigger gun, why I'm not sure does make since to start small especially since I'm a beginner. . I've shot my buddies marlin .22, and couple other hand guns, so at least I've shot something haha. I might buy my bosses Remington .22 if he sells it to me cheap.

9. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

What does a cc permit have to do with a Savage Axis? CC is for handguns only, How do you carry your Axis consealed?

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Maybe referring to a waiting period after purchase?

11. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Never said I'm concealing a riffle. Meant I have to wait to take it home, If I had a concealed weapons permit I could have taken it the same day. And I think I know a ccw is for handguns.

12. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

This.. Thanks :thumbsup:

13. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Just picked up my savage axis. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

image-992878465.jpg

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you made a good choice in rifle and caliber for a first rifle. i too, would suggest a 22 rimfire rifle to start with. but you have already bought it, so enjoy it. the 243 doesn't have a lot of recoil and is a good first centerfire rifle caliber for a beginner. it's what i started on when i was about 10 or 11 years old. it's also a good versatile caliber for a beginner, as you can use lighter weight bullets and varmint hunt or target shoot, or go heavier and still deer hunt with it. i have shot the Savage Axis in 243 of a friend. yes it's pretty accurate.

15. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

I think I'm still going to buy a .22 to save money on ammo because the .243 isn't to cheap for a practice rifle. I read that it doesn't have much recoil so its good for me sense I'm not used to it. pretty happy I've gotten a couple people say its a good first rifle.

16. PalmBeachF150

PalmBeachF150 New Member

Finally took my rifle to the range shot real nice. Glad I bought it just need to adjust the scope.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That just does not sound kosher.