Just bought a Hi Point

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by donthav1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

Well i gotta say curiousity got the better of me. I was in a local pawn shop a week & a half ago gettin an FFL copy for a gunbroker transfer & see they had a very lightly used Hi point C9 for $120. i looked it over a few times & decided "i'll come back in a week & if it's still here i'll buy it." well sonofabitch it was still there today. $100 out the door & i got the original box, owners manual, trigger lock, extra mag & extra rear sight with adjustment tool.

took it home, cleaned it up & went to the range with it. i must say i am very suprised. after figuring out the ghost ring sight on paper at about 10 yards, i started plinking at an empty mountain dew bottle about 25 yards away. 1 out of 4 shots i hit it & all misses were in the dirt very close by.....if it would've been a bad guy, they all would've been center mass shots.

out of 100 rounds of winchester whites i had 3 failure to feeds that i'm 99% sure i caused from accidentily hitting the mag release. otherwise no jams of any sort, it went bang every time i pulled the trigger.

now it is far from a perfect gun. loading the first round into the magazines is a bit awkward, it is top heavy (that's ok, i like my women that way too :D ), & it recoiled a suprising amount more than my Radom 35 9mm. but i'm guessing that might be mostly cuz of the inertia of that heavy slide moving on each shot. but all in all, this may be the best $100 i have spent on a firearm or accessory & i am very happy with it so far.
    [​IMG]

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Nice deal.
    I'd possibly buy one if the price was right.

3. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

You're a brave brave man. ;)

Good it's working out for you so far.

4. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

I've heard hi points shoot better if you turn them on their side. ;)

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thts the one thing about a hi-point, they go bang and some people buy them tht dont care for guns but want something cheap to throw in the drawer of their nightstand. Reality is, they r hidious, the slides look like they were chiseled out of a leftover cast iron stove from the 20's.. But they do shoot

6. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

bahahaha! when i showed up at the range with it a couple people asked me what i had & when i told them it was a Hi Point that seemed to be the opinion they had. maybe i'll try that with the next 100 rounds.

as far as the "ugly" comments, i personally don't think it's any more ugly than a glock.....which personnaly i do think glocks are kinda fugly.. :D

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have actually seen the little carbine tht hi point makes in gun magazines. I wonder how they are?

8. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

The carbines are equally cheap-feeling but they perform wonderfly. Though, OP, you didn't go wrong at all for $100. I'd have done the same thing, heh.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Donthav1 i hope i didnt offend u with my hidious comment, i used to own one myself a long long time ago. I paid $150 for mine new and i cant really recall it ever having a malfunction

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sig worthy! ;)

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

A $300 Glock is a bargain. So is a $500 Sig (well, a P22# anyways). And a $100 Hi-Point is a bargain as well. I can't say that I'm in the market for one, but I might take a stab myself at that price.

Given their price point, I think Hi-Points are acceptable guns. They tend to look and feel equal to their price, and perform a bit better than that.

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Are any of these pistols new? Because i have never seen a new glock for $300, if so whats the website? As for the hi-points, I cant see trusting my life to a $100 pistol. If your using for plinking then knock yourself out.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The OP said "lightly used Hi-Point". My comments about a $300 Glock and $500 Sig were intended to imply the same.

If my budget only allowed for a $100 Hi-Point, I would choose to trust my life to that over most alternatives in that price range. Taking the price into account, it's a viable option IMO.

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

no not offended at all, it seems if a person owns a Hi Point they've gotta be ready to take some sh*t from people, & i imagine i will.

i'm finding that you have to trade in your ego for the gun, so to speak.

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

awesome! thanks for the props cane!

16. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"Slightly used and a $100 budget is completely different. If i had a choice between a slightly used hi-point and a banged up, highly used up crap gun then hi-point it would be as it is the best choice at the time. Then save up for a better gun while you have at least some protection. Thats what i had to do years ago. I had a taurus .38 revolver for basic protection for years until i could start getting better and better quality pistols. Good luck. It all starts with the first one. Thanks, Ed

17. blueridgerunner

blueridgerunner New Member

I had one and had a lot of fun shooting it. It was too heavy and bulky to carry ccw but was reliable as a brick and twice as heavy. You did good for the price. Also, it has a lifetime guarantee no matter what owner has it. And, it's made in USA.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Bud's lists basic Highpoints W/out any add ons at around $200 new. For that price, I'd take a chance. I have read enough good things about them & their Customer Service. I don't even find the THAT ugly. (Unless compared to my Beretta 96A1).

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that gun would not be my first choice but for the price, you did good. i would have bought it at that price. from what i have read, they are not bad guns, just not great guns. but if you can put holes in the BG with it, then it's a good gun.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I actually copied an older post of mine from a different thread discussing the practical uses of a hi point .45.

hey are heavy as a boat anchor, beat a glock in an ugly contest hands-down, every bit as comfortable and ergonomic as the most well made brick you will ever come across. All that being said, I've only shot one of a friends and haven't owned one myself, but the one I shot simply wouldn't stop, even after being dropped in the mud and kicked around a bit for the hell of it. It was cheap. It was fairly accurate. yes the safety broke, and hi-point customer service managed to have a new one AT HIS DOOR only 2 days later.

"and that's all i got to say about that" - Forrest Gump

And if I found one for $100 dollars I would jump on it.