Just a general question on block 10 of the 4473

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by danf_fl, Mar 13, 2014.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Understanding that the 4473 stays with the person doing the transfer until the business closes, what use is block 10a and 10b?

Is this a way for the BATF to enact a form of discrimination?
    http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/

I wonder what being a Hispanic or non-Hispanic has to do with purchasing a firearm. Also, why should race and other info be included. What is required is the identification of the transferee.

How does the information provided on Hispanic or non-Hispanic, or race help determine if one is prohibited under law from receiving a firearm?

2. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

That's what I wondered myself, I thought it'd be considered Racial Profiling..

3. orangello

orangello New Member

So on 10b, I can check all the boxes I want, but on 10a I have to make a firm decision. Booo! BOOOO! Somedays I might want to be Hispanic and some days I might not. UNFAIR I say!
    ;)

Yep, the man is probably wanting to keep a really quiet head count in some sneaky way.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely no reason for it that I can fathom.

BTW, Hispanic is a term coined by the Census Dept a few years back.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

So check whichever one you wanna be on the day you purchase the gun.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Doing that is falsifying a document. Realllllly good way to end up a felon. If you think the holders of the obama world government won't use it against you if they get a chance... I got a real nice bridge for sale.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

So the paperwork reduction act is not valid?

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah, I know. Was just joking.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

folks new to buying guns wouldnt neccessarily know that...

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Right you are. My bad.

Just a guess, but Jesus would probably petition the gooberment to overturn ridiculous gun laws, such as having to fill out a form to buy a firearm in the first place.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The dealers think it is not mandatory. True or not, I don't care enough to test the system myself, I just want my gun.

I think it's a question of proper ID. If you check "black" today, the Feds look you up and find that you were "white" last year, that'll give 'em a pause.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Sadly, I know more about EEOC and ERI (Ethnicity and Race Indicator) than most of you will want to know... here goes

First of all this is a piece of data, specifically a field that is made up by the government and specifically for EEOC purposes. There are six possible true responses to this field and it should be two separate fields as it attempts to combine Ethnicity and Race into a single field when they are two separate items. Lets start with the first part, Ethnicity, you are either Hispanic or NOT Hispanic there are no other choices to be made, but I'm White or Asian you say... those are Races and not ethnicity which is ONLY covered in the first portion of this field/question which asks if you are Hispanic and takes precedence over EVERYTHING ELSE.

So now we have covered the first part, you are either Hispanic or you are not. Now the fun begins. Are you Asian and White, NO! You are just Asian, are you Black or African American and White, NO! You are Black or African American, are you American Indian or Alaska Native and White, NO! You are American Indian or Alaska Native, are you Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander and White, NO! You are "Two or more races". That's where it gets interesting, what if an individual is Asian and African American or Black you ask, that person is Two or more races but if they are Asian and White then they are Asian only.

Are you confused yet? I know I am not confused but just dumbfounded by the logic.

Simplified version
    Prioritize Ethnicity of which there are only 2 options, Hispanic or NOT.
    Then prioritize Asian, Black, Native American
    Deprioritize Native Hawaiian and White
    Then if they happen to be more than a single race go with two or more but ONLY if they are not only 1 of the prioritized races which trump White and Native Hawaiian. All of this is only true if they are not Hispanic because that trumps everything.

http://www.fedscope.opm.gov/rno/eri.asp

https://ehr.nbc.gov/datastandards/dataStandard/1442

Do the powers that be use this logic to deny firearms sales. I don't think so but they do use this bastardized logic to say X number or % of 4473's were filled out by the following groups.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They would run into several CFR's that take issue with that. ERI is a VOLUNTARY field, now could they get you on falsifying a form, I don't know and I'm not a lawyer but there would be a lot of leniency when it comes to claiming an Ethnicity or Race on the form.

15. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Wait...

Where exactly is the logic?

16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Sorry I should have clarified, government logic is being applied to design the definitions.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Where have you seen a government form with no BS at all? This is a rather small nugget...

18. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Oh, government logic... ok, that explains it.

So, I've left that part blank on employment applications, various medical forms, even a few for the Army...

Why couldn't we be able to leave it blank on this form? (ironic that your SS# is optional)

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I can't help but wonder why Hispanic takes priority... Isn't this a form of what some would call "reverse racism?" Personally I don't like that term. Racism is racism. But I use it sometimes because its so common and occasionally I actually want to be understood when I ramble.

Speaking of rambling... Shall I begin now or later?

20. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Begin now, unless you have something better to do...