Just a couple of thoughts on Home Defense

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by danf_fl, Jul 12, 2012.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Your partner in life should be trained to work with you in home defense.

Identify who does what and practice. Having two different people call 911 for the same incident from the same residence can confuse.

Where are the kids (and/or pets)?

Are you or your spouse practiced on all firearms and devices used in Home Defense? We know you can handle the shotgun, but what about the wife should the need arise?

This is by no means complete. Just a couple of thoughts thrown out.

Any Additions?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Good thoughts. Perhaps a weekly or monthly test at grabbing kids n phone flashlights and such

3. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

We have a plan. It may have it's flaws & we don't practice really. Wife stays in the bedroom with the hand gun calling 911. I investigate with the Mossy.

Kids know if anything ever happens to get down & lay on the floor. I have told them I will never shoot at the floor so get down & stay down until Mom, the police or myself tell them otherwise.

4. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC New Member

sounds like my family plan my fiance and her .38 call 911 while me and mr 500 go hunting the kids both hide under my daughters bed so i know exactly what corner they are in as to not have a stray hit one of my children ill even make sure the BG is facing away from them if for some reason the first shot doesnt disable him/her completely

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is "going hunting" the right thing to do? I was under the impression you should wait and see what walks past your bedroom door. At least that is my plan.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sillinoise....
    In MOST of the free states if they are in your house you can open fire on a home invader regardless of if you have to track them down to the kitchen where the home invaders may be cooking breakfast and drinking your beer. In your state, you may just have to call the cops and hope like hell they're still there when the cops arrive an hour and a half later. After all, you may get charged with "disturbing a donut call" if they aren't.

7. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC New Member

If you in my house uninvited the last thing im going to do is wait till you get close enough to harm my family...... Im going to find ur a** and let you know either lay down on the ground till police arrive or get shot... Ur choice.... Give the BG an opportunity to harm you or your family if you want

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

In my state we can shoot first ask questions later. All I have to say is I feared for my life.
    To the op question I grab the flashlight and 45 and the wife calls 911! And there is a 12 g in the corner.

9. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

That is probably the safe way to go. Anyone comes in the doorway, u got the drop on him. HOWEVER I have 3 small kids and I will be DAMNED if I baracade up in the bedroom while some ******* is under my roof with my kids!
    I will be coming for his hind parts with the S&W. The old Lady will be in the bedroom calling the cops with the carbine. None of the kids are taller than 4 foot. So have to make sure I keep my pistol low (at the chest) and aim with a slight upward angle if possible. My plan.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

WOC, i can see their point and would do the same if in their type of situation. intruder in my home, children in another part of the house, yes it would most definately hunting. if i had children, and their lives were in danger from some intruder being in my home, i would do whatever i felt was appropriate for the situation. around my house, we play house rules. my house, my rules, and if the BG doesn't like them, oh well. i also get to change the rules if i see fit to do so.

11. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Well said my friend.

12. sangeet

sangeet New Member

Good Thought Thank You

13. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I don't have a plan, being single and all it's pretty simple!

I don't think I would go hunting for them. I think I would grab my Glock and wait on them to come to me. Then light them up with my LED flash light, make sure it's not my mom or brothers who have a key, then order them on the ground until the police arrive. If they run I'll give a good description, if they attack me or pose a threat I'll defend myself.

Then I have to take into consideration my Doberman who gets PI$$ED when someone else is in the house. I don't think he would silently allow someone to enter the house and walk around while I waited on them.
    When I have unfamiliar guests I put him outside because he barks, snarls, and goes at them. If someone broke in, probably before they would be able to get in, I would wake up to him going nuts running through the house wherever he heard or smelt them.. And the BG would hear him barking and be long gone before I got out of bed. If they got inside I would probably be that guy getting sued because my dog bit a chunk out of the 'poor home invader'.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Just a stranger in your house at any hour of the day poses a threat.
    There will be no words said in my house. If your in there I presume you as trying to hurt or worse kill my family and myself.
    The police tell people to get down. A man or woman protecting their family or their self is not required to do so. BAM! wrong house, new carpet.....

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Also train the kids on what to do as well! They could save your life or others if they happen to react faster(like that one case where the 14 year old shot the intruder.)

16. BungalowMo

BungalowMo New Member

For me, since I live alone, I can only assume that anyone in my home is there to hurt me. Being a single female under 5' tall....I wouldn't ask questions first.

My brother, in another state, is the only person with a spare key & knowing I have a gun, he always calls before showing up, and even then, he wouldn't show up in the middle of the night.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

We have similarities. I, too, live alone and I am 4'11" tall.

We are small but mighty. :D

18. BungalowMo

BungalowMo New Member

Yes we are!

I have recently had some major issues in my neighborhood with unruly "children" (read: punks who think they can do as they please) The Police have a hard time catching them at anything & the other night I saw one out in the street with a rifle! Of course, when 3 police cars arrived, the weapon & kid holding it were long gone.

I contacted the Police & offered up my front bedroom for surveillance! I let them know I'd even assist with connecting all the cameras & such...since it's what I do.

My offer is being passed along to their detective division. We'll see if they accept.

19. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

What if like in my case your wife cant stand the sight of firearms. You are on your own. I suppose she can ring the police.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I am single but have a plan that involves using the cats as the opening volley and my shotgun to get to the gun safe neaby (i'm just not sure my cellphone will get a signal from inside the safe). Once i have the safe for cover, i'll have enough loaded magazines to hold off more people than will physically fit in my house.

Redneck women FTW! ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012