Jury duty.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bigbomar4, Sep 8, 2013.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I've got jury duty tomorrow. It will be my first time. What is it like?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Just tell them you're racist and don't worry about it. Don't matter if it's true.

I got a jury duty summons while I was in Afghanistan. Fun conversation when I called the number on the letter while there were mortars firing in the background.

Me "Ma'am, I'm not gonna make it to jury duty."
    Her "why not?"
    Me "I'm in Afghanistan..." BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM...

her "I see...I hear...have fun, errr...stay safe."

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

A lot of waiting around.....

Jury Duty is a PITA however, we do owe to the individuals that need a trial and we want intelligent ,competent, and common sense inspired people on the Jury.

4. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I've had jury duty twice, once local and once federal,I actually enjoy it.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I embrace jury duty. Not only is it a part of civic responsibility,

it is a great way to establish residence, in the state of

your choice.

Bring a smart phone, laptop, or book, there's a lot of

waiting around. The court clerks will instruct you as to what

to do. Then you have to decide if somebody's innocent or

guilty. As in GUILTY as Charged.

6. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I figured that there would be a lot of waiting around and that is the part I am dreading the most. Patience is not one of my virtues.

7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably hurry up and wait. I have been called for jury duty twice in PA, and three times in FL. I have never served on a jury. The closest I got was I was asked who I worked for. I told them and the defense attorney asked me if that was an Engineering Company. When I said yes, I was thanked for my time and dismissed.

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Crappy movie. Return it.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Be prepared to wait. Do NOT play with phone or electronics in the courtroom once the judge enters- even during jury selection. HIS room, HIS rules. Really. Also leave the pocket knife in the car. Yes, even the itty bitty one on the keychain.

You may be called for a criminal jury, or a civil jury. Listen, answer questions honestly. While I have served on a military courts-martial board, have never served on a jury. Been called a few times, never served.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have been called three times. I served on two Juries one State and one Federal. I enjoyed the Federal case on kidnapping by the "Hells" Angles. It gives you a real understanding of how our justice system seems to fail the public trust. :confused:

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have served on a jury in a case of armed robbery and attempted murder. This was when I lived in Cook County with my parents. It was very interesting, indeed, and I would love to serve on a jury again. I just never get called. Of course, I'm not as young and 'fresh' as I was back then and I wonder if my life experiences would make the lawyers pass me over.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Bring a book, some courts don't allow cellphones at all. My county court has a strict policy that NO cell phones are allowed except for employees and officers on duty, employees have to store cell phones in lock boxes.

13. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I am young and "fresh" or at least I like to think I am at 27 years old. I think it would be kinda interesting to serve but at the same time I really don't want to miss any more work than I absolutely have to.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Its easy to get out of but consider that if everyone smart enough to get out of jury duty does so, then the juries for our justice system( that we so often complain about) will be composed only of those who can't figure it out.

15. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been called to jury duty a few times over the years. Couple of times the suspect settled before trial but after I was impaneled, sat thru one trial for drunk driving w/ single-car accident involved (took half a day to convince two holdouts that the guy was guilty, then even they were a little pi$$ed that the guy basically got a slap on the wrist for a third conviction). at least three times I got out of serving because it was Tax Season and I'm a CPA. Didn't hurt that my Aunt was Clerk of Court, either. "Hey Favorite Aunt of mine, can I be struck? Ok, Thanks!" I really wanted to serve those times, but Boss wanted me in the office cranking out billable hours. :rolleyes:

I've heard that highly-educated professionals tend to be struck anyway, since attorneys really don't want jurors who can actually think objectively.

16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I've only been called in never got to serve. It's boring.

17. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Well I'm sitting in the jury pool now. At least I got here early enough to get a seat. About 40 people are having to stand.

18. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

At what point are your going to take off your jacket and reveal the "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!" T-shirt?
    ;)

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I hope you were wearing pants that day.

20. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I served on one regular jury and was a member of a Grand Jury during a really tumultuous time in the County's history - that was a lot of fun! I feel like I should serve, mainly because I feel it's unfair to stick the defendant with only those people that don't know how to get out of it. They deserve better than that.

A friend of mine who is a self-proclaimed red neck answered his first jury summons and appeared as instructed. During jury selection, he told the ass't. District Attorney that he could tell if the guy was guilty just by looking at him. When the ADA queried how he did it specifically, my friend looked at him dead serious and replied, "Just tell me what color he is."

He has not been called again in 22 years.