Jury Duty

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gregs887, Sep 28, 2009.

1. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Just got a summons, I'm ok with that, but why in the hell do I need to pay postage to respond to it? Talk about insult to injury :mad:

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good question. I guess we still have no budget for postage.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I had jury duty several years ago. I'd ride up on my ol shovelfhead with LOUD pipes, walk in with my long hair/beard with my tats showing, and the lawyers would take 1 look at me & dismiss me. I'd then get my lil slip of paper from the court showing I was there and go hunting or fishing the rest of the day. The next day when I went to work I'd hand them the court show slip and get paid 10 hours just as if I'd worked. I LOVED doing my civic duty!!!!!!!

4. funnyrunner

funnyrunner New Member

Good deal sir!!! Ya just have to play the game right I suppose.

5. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

I got a jury summons about two years ago. They asked me if I thought there was a better chance the defendant was guilty because he was African-American. I said yes. They asked me why. I told them why I thought so. They told me they thought I would be a fair jury and picked me, which I was.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Hated it. Only upside was a lawyer there got called too, and HE couldn't get out of it either, try as he might.:D

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have never lived in one place long enough to get called for Jury Duty. I was always interested to see a real trial from start to close - but I have never been called.

*shrug*

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I wish I could get jury duty, my work pays me while I'm on it so it wouldn't cost me any money and I would really enjoy being a juror.

9. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

I didn’t like the idea of putting someone in prison. If there was any way I could have found the defendant not guilty I would have. What I told the rest of the juries was if let this guy off and he kills someone, it’s our fault. I sure would not like the idea of serving on a murder case.
    You do get paid a small fee, about enough to pay for lunch and parking.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sorry pardner, but your response troubles me. It bothers you to put a person in prison, assuming they're found guilty? :eek:

Without "12 good men and true" our justice system is useless. I've only been called to serve once and I was proud to do so.

Also, not sure i really understand your post as it contradicts itself...

11. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

Myself and the other 12 did what was right and just, I have no regreats. But it was not fun.

12. ScottG

ScottG New Member

JD, wanna know what it's like??? Read this....

Oh, and I just got summoned again for next month.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would neither like nor dislike putting someone in prison(even an accused murderer with video evidence, confession and witnesses). I would however enjoy doing my part and being directly involved in the system and using my judgment to weigh the facts of the case at hand. Guilty or not guilty is just a result, the process is what I would enjoy being a part of.

14. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

More people should have your attitude. When they were selecting the jury I was surprised how many said they were prejudice. I would put money on it that if you asked theses same people out side the court room most would have said they were not prejudice at all.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have about as much chance of serving on a criminal jury as a snow ball has in Tuscon in August. The defense teams strike me very quickly (I've tried 3 times). I would be very impartial and believe I could see through the BS smoke and mirrors.

They tried to sit me on a Civil jury (grocery store slip and fall). I honetly told them that I thought most of those cases were people milking the system looking for a free ride. Good bye.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I've never been on a jury. I don't think i would be good for it; i am generally very suspicious of our legal system. I hope i never get called for it.

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Yeah that's the flaw in the system right there. You were honest and your belief that most of the cases are fraud does not mean you can not be impartial. Sometimes I think the morons of society have a better chance of being a juror because both the prosecutor and defense view that type of person as someone who will believe whatever the lawyer tells them.