Firearms Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Glock19, Sig Sauer P320, AR-15
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I am a Marine. Although my main military occupational specialty (MOS) was as an 0311 (Infantry Rifleman), I did a tour of duty as a range coach who's duties included everything from running the firing lines (75 targets) to qualifying Marines at the 200, 300 and 500 yard lines as per the Marine Corps requalification course. Although I am now honorably discharged, I still bleed Marine as I probably always will. I have a knack for teaching, especially when it comes to courses that some individuals may find difficult. Because of my teaching style, I can reach people, no matter the subject in a way that they will garner a full understanding. With that said, I am always looking for places where I can freely share what I know, as I have seen so many people do across the internet. Because of them, I have for years done the exact same thing and the friends that I have made could not be replaced with any amount of money. So I come to you folks with that in mind, and I hope to share and learn from what I believe is a wealth of talent on this forum.

I am NOT a weapons expert nor a ammo expert so if you have any questions along those lines, I am NOT your guy. The only weapons that I consider myself knowledgeable on are the ones that I carry and own, including my time in the Marine Corps.. What I am is a shooting coach. I can teach ANYONE to shoot straight and hit a target, which is exactly what these videos are about. I've decided to put what I can do in video format, geared toward the novice shooter and hope that these videos can benefit someone. If you see anything questionable or incorrect, PLEASE reach out. I am never past the ability to learn more and it will benefit the forum as a whole. With that said, enjoy!

PART 1
This is the first video of a 4-part series where I cover the fine skill of firing a handgun and actually hitting what you are shooting at. However, there are a ton of things that you should consider BEFORE thinking about owning and walking around with a handgun. I am going to cover the bulk of some of those things in the entire series but this video addresses some of the most important things to consider.

PART II
In part two of this series, I cover a few more critical things but most importantly, I cover the exact technique used to aim your weapon and hit the target. This technique on how to aim is a sure fire way to guarantee that you will hit the target every time. If you take the time to master this technique, you can them branch off into other techniques of shooting that are geared to other styles of shooting. Before you can learn other styles, you must first get your rounds on the paper. This technique will definitely get you on the paper.

It's funny... I am so use to teaching Marines on how to shoot the M16A2 rifle that I often throughout this video call the front sight, "the front sight post." It just comes out without me realizing it because I have taught it for so long. Just realize that when I say "front sight post", I actually meant to say "front sight."

Part II-A
In this video, I cover exactly how I hold my weapon. I show my hand positions and go over my technique in detail. I also cover IMPORTANT range information from how to conduct yourself to what to wear and safety equipment.

PART III
In this video, we take all that we learned and put it to the application of firing your weapon. For those who jumped straight to this video, you will quickly realize that you are not learning anything because the lessons are in the first THREE videos. I did it that way on purpose so if you didn't watch the first three videos, any questions that you may ask are going to get the same answer: "Go back and watch the first three videos." I can tell by the questions posted, who has done what, just as I do with my detailing videos.

In this video, I say that I am shooting at the 10-yard line but it looks more like I am shooting at the 15-yard line. That's 45-feet. My eyes aren't what they use to be! Either way, I'm a little bit rusty coming off this COVID19 break so I have some catching up to do. Again, as a novice, you will NOT be shooting at those distances, 5-yards should be your maximum working distance. I need more of a challenge as I can hit something at 5-yards in my sleep.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome gents. Good to see I am among my fellow veterans too. We are a special breed and that mindset will come through loud and clear in those videos. Enjoy!

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, Junkman! Honored, indeed, to have you here!

ellis

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you sir. It's good to be among like minded people. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, we've probably chewed some of the same dirt so that makes us family. Thank you sir. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this the auto paint DR Junkman2008?
I cannot hide! 馃槄馃槄馃槄

Yes sir, the same detailing geek that brought you all of those detailing videos since 2008. After watching these videos, you know my style when you see it. 馃榿

Premium Member
Junkman I just watched your first video, totally awesome, the only thing I would add is that a day at the range with your buddies followed by a burger and a beer is a great day. You are right to stress the seriousness, but there is a fun side!

I am going to forward your video to my brother who is considering getting his concealed carry permit. He is not a gun guy like me, just a guy smart enough to want to be able to defend his family. I am looking forward to the rest of your videos to help me train him. I have suggested him getting some pro training on the way to his ccw so he won't pick up my bad habits, and the Lord knows I have some bad habits!!!

Premium Member
I hope I never need show anyone....
I only seen video 1.. You caught my attention. Next, thank you for your service. I seen a great video about finger position. Straight out, most often tough. Then I learned about bent finger position(or how ever one calls it) to gain leverage on a firearm.(Wilson combat videos).. Actually seems to work, for me anyway. I would like your opinion..
Gesture Finger Thumb Trigger Nail
Sleeve Gesture Trigger Finger Nail

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Junkman I just watched your first video, totally awesome, the only thing I would add is that a day at the range with your buddies followed by a burger and a beer is a great day. You are right to stress the seriousness, but there is a fun side!

I am going to forward your video to my brother who is considering getting his concealed carry permit. He is not a gun guy like me, just a guy smart enough to want to be able to defend his family. I am looking forward to the rest of your videos to help me train him. I have suggested him getting some pro training on the way to his ccw so he won't pick up my bad habits, and the Lord knows I have some bad habits!!!
I can think of no better day at the range than a day when they give you all the FREE ammo you can shoot. Then I wake up and realize that I am not in the Marines anymore. 馃槖

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only seen video 1.. You caught my attention. Next, thank you for your service. I seen a great video about finger position. Straight out, most often tough. Then I learned about bent finger position(or how ever one calls it) to gain leverage on a firearm.(Wilson combat videos).. Actually seems to work, for me anyway. I would like your opinion.. View attachment 246599 View attachment 246600
Something like this comes down to training. For myself, I have been doing it the way I do it since the early 80's. Thus, changing my way this late in the game would be awkward. Because of that, I concentrate mainly on hitting the target because although you may gain an advantage by shooting first, you advantage is eliminated if you miss and your opponent doesn't..馃槈馃憤

Premium Member
I can think of no better day at the range than a day when they give you all the FREE ammo you can shoot. Then I wake up and realize that I am not in the Marines anymore. 馃槖
I was always jealous of the guys in the guard up here. They could shoot all they want for free. Of course, they also had to pick up all their brass and take it back to the base.

Premium Member
I cannot hide! 馃槄馃槄馃槄

Yes sir, the same detailing geek that brought you all of those detailing videos since 2008. After watching these videos, you know my style when you see it. 馃榿
I need to watch the videos and clean up the former garage queen. It's in pretty rough shape suffering over two years of neglect

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to watch the videos and clean up the former garage queen. It's in pretty rough shape suffering over two years of neglect
Where do I need to drive to in order to deliver your whoopin'? 馃榿馃榿馃榿

Premium Member
Still in MI, but moved. No longer have a nice beautiful garage, and been really really busy at work. Hoping to retire in about 12 months. Sold the Charger, buying a F350D (if the #$%%& truck ever shows up), to pull a new 5th wheel with. Permanently living in a campground, which unfortunately means no garage. Chally will winter in BIL garage. Hell, I've hardly shot at all, it's been an interesting couple of years. Not sure I'll get the chally cleaned up this year. Even how we ended up with the F150 is a crazy story. Really wanted to make challenger fest this year, but it wasn't in the cards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts