June 6, 1944, A 65 year retrospect.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by canebrake, Jun 6, 2009.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This D-Day documentary was produced by an 8th-grader (jpkeenan24) two years ago and has had 346,557 views.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qeCNg8fO0]YouTube - D-Day, June 6th 1944[/ame]

If you have kids in school ask them what happened on June 6, 1944. I'm willing to bet 95% will not have a clue. This is due to the revisionist liberal control over the curriculum and text books used in today's American education system! Wouldn't want to traumatize and embarrass the little ones while we give trophy's to both winners and losers of the T-Ball game!

Better men than I were charged with this task!

1944_Normandy-1.jpg

Why have we let this noblest of efforts become a long and intentionally lost memory??

aCapa,_D-Day2.jpg

60+ pounds of gear and many didn't even know how to swim!

1DDay-6-6-1944.jpg

My Dad went in on Utah Beach and said he fought a life-time just to get to Ste-Mere-Eglise.

1ddaycapa1.jpg

"As our boat touched sand and the ramp went down I became a visitor to hell." Pvt. Charles Neighbor, 29th Div.

1dday34.jpg

God Bless every hero involved.

Thank you for your service. [​IMG]

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Great post Cane.:)

I recall HS history class very vividly. In the 4 yrs of HS only 1 teacher spent any amount of time on WWII. He had an uncle that was lost on the Arizona and to hear him speak of the events would nearly break me down to tears in class. Some people get it, most don't. Thankfully those that do fight for us.

Although I never served I do have the utmost respect for those that have and do. I have no previous kin that have served either. I spent this past Memorial weekend bbq'ing, rewatching BoB and saying thanks to all those that have and do fight for us. God bless. :)

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The man I posted about a week or so ago who got robbed while he was in the hospital was a D-day vet himself. I think he went in at Omaha Beach. He never talks about that part but boy he can tell you some stories of France and the people there.

4. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Thanks for finding this one Cane, good reminder to all of us. I agree, the revisionists "Im OK, you're OK" proponents water down what we have done in our past. Those things that make us who we are as a country. Damn shame. I wont let my son forget where we came from. You are right, most wouldn't have that date (or any other significant one) in their minds. To a lot of people they think of D Day as a black and white movie that Hollywood made up. Same with modern events; they think that evil is just something on TV and can't touch them. Guess the footage of the towers just seems like something that happened to someone else. Apathy at its best.
    Thanks again for putting this one up.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My Father passed three and a half years ago. He was Army/Air Corps and road the Burma Road, (CBI) theater. My Mothers first husband was shot down over Italy, the only one of his bomber crew not to make it back to our lines. He was injured while leaving the plane and although helped by the resistance, he was captured by the Germans and executed as a spy.

In spite of those who say they are against War, there are times when there is no alternative. I believe that had the Nations of the World acted when Hitler first began his expansion instead of being isolationist, many young men would have been saved.

How soon we are lulled into complacency by the liberal treatment of our most trying times.

Great Post +10 Canebreak!!

6. robbo60

robbo60 New Member

Thanks Canebreak. Great post. God bless America.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Some gave all, all gave some. Rest in peace gentlemen.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

abeachlanding_s.jpg

a-utah_beach.jpg

Utah Beach Looking West D-Day Morning June 6, 1944 ^

The aircraft engine nacelle and propeller are top right. Dark patches are cloud shadows. German flooding of the low pasturelands immediately west of the beach was planned to limit American accessibility to the higher ground. Further west along the top of the photo can be seen the flooded Merderet River valley, also a defensive tactic that caused grievous losses to the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. On the beach, landing craft are bringing in General Barton's 4th Infantry Division. Two causeways carry vehicles and men westbound to relieve the paratroopers holding the causeways western exits.

d02344.jpg

The sinking Coast Guard manned USS LCI(L)-85 comes alongside another ship to transfer her survivors, after she was hit by German shells off "Omaha" Beach on "D-Day", 6 June 1944.
    Note casualties on deck, including a man on a stretcher (left center) whose face has been obscured by wartime censors.
    Also note binoculars atop a chart in the LCI(L)'s conning tower (upper right) and life raft (at left) with paddles secured to its side.

g421287.jpg

dday33.jpg

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Great post Cane of great men.

In the mid-80's I travelled to N. France. I stayed in an old hotel in Caen. I visited the memorial. I stood on the untouched land on the northern coast that still has German bunkers and huge craters from the shelling. I stood on the cliffs and tried to imagine what it would have been like. No idea of what it took for those men to even get inland. It was very sobering and humbling.

Walking through some of the smaller towns and villages, there were still plenty of older people there that were alive then. I did not meet one older French person there that had anything bad to say about the allied forces. They liked to practice what little English they knew and most would even say thank you even though they knew I was way too young to have been there. One elderly French man made sure I knew to thank my grandfather's generation and to never forget what tyranny can do. I had a nice conversation with him. He showed me the farm where his father and uncle were both killed by the Germans so they could take over the farm house.

The younger French people were a different story, ingrates!

If anyone ever has the chance to visit the D-Day Memorial in Northern France, I highly reccommend it. Rows and rows of white crosses that seem to go on forever. The crosses are markers, and little crosses for the Christians and little Stars of David for the Jewish soldiers. The land is US soil to this day.

10. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Good post Cane. Too many persons forget this day and what was done on it. They forget alot of days that you should remember if you call your self an American. I was reading some news stories and this one jumped off the page and had to share it with all of you fine persons! Dont ever forget that people have fought and died for our freedom, and continue to do so today.

'A beach of blood': Calhoun County veteran lived to tell story of D-Day
    By RENDY BOLAND, T&D Correspondent Saturday, June 06, 2009
    Leave a Comment | Default | Large

In 1962, Hollywood produced an Oscar-winning dramatization of the event, “The Longest Day.”

However, for one Calhoun County World War II veteran, he lived it.

And survived it.

June 6, 1944.

D-Day.

Daniel Lorie Mixon grew up in Ocilla, Ga., and was graduated from high school in 1941, was drafted by his country on Oct. 13, 1943, and reported to Camp Walters, Texas, as he prepared to become part of what was later called “America’s Greatest Generation.”

“It was 26 weeks of pure hell,” Mixon said. “We would practice for 8-10 hours per day, come back to camp, then walk for 30-35 miles at night. I understand it now. If we didn’t go through it, we’d never had made it.

“We were issued ill-fitting uniforms and socks. It was the socks that helped ease the blisters on our feet.

“We were making $21 a month, of which $6.50 had to be taken out for life insurance.

“We got shipped out of New Jersey in May of ‘44 and wound up in Dover, England.

“There were hundreds of tanks training on the beach with something like an inner tube around them, like a skirt, to hold that tank up.

“June 6, 1944, Eisenhower was the chief Army man ... On June 5th, a big storm came up with waves of 6-8 feet. It was a big decision to make. Do we go or do we not go?” said the clear-minded Mixon. “The word was ‘go.’ The Normandy invasion had begun.”

Mixon recalls the following events.

n The assault

“I was with 115 Company G. There were three regiments which made up the front division of the 29th division.

“The British army was over to the left, trying to get on the beach at the same time.

“Before day on June 6th, the 8th Air Force stationed in England with its B24, B25s-Big Boys had as its job to drop bombs behind Normandy Beach. Thousands of tons were dropped in a short period of time.

“The biggest battle ships with 16-inch guns were firing 240-pound shells.

“We finally got into the English Channel and came down on rope ladders off the ship into a landing craft, mind you, carrying a 150-pound pack on your back.

“Then all hell let loose.

“The Germans knew we were there. ... The sea of hell and fire is what I called it,” he says.

“And when the landing craft hit sand, you had to jump off. If you jumped off and you couldn’t hit beach under you, you drowned.

“You never seen so many dead soldiers in your life, floating in the ocean, legs off, blind, arms missing.

“It was a beach of blood. Blood running down the sand into the water.

“The Germans had barbed wire, fence wire and railroad tracks stuck in the water to catch you and cause you to drown.

“They continued to shoot at us from atop a hill.

n After the assault

“On June 7 or 8, the 29th Division’s primary job was to move out into the orchards of France looking for Germans.

“I remember two paratroopers divisions, the 101 and the 102, where some had fallen into lakes and drowned and some who had landed in trees only to be shot by the Germans.

“On July 7th, me and the 115th were engaged with the German army for three days. We had lost about half of our company.”

“Since it was too dangerous to use phones then, we had runners who would deliver messages between squads.”

According to Mixon, “One runner told me, ‘Soldier, you are going to be picked up by jeep,’ so about 12 of us were carried to an open pasture.

“We were part of the honor guard,” says Mixon, who was then 18.

“In the middle of that circle was Gen. Gehart and Gen. Omar Bradley.

“I heard something coming through the woods and that something was a tank.”

And who was in that shiny tank?

“Gen. George Patton himself!”

Pistols on his side.

“He jumped off the tank in front of us right there in St. Solo, France, and the first words from his mouth (were), ‘I want you to take this G,D. town.’ He was called blood and guts, but I add, hell on wheels.”

Within 5 minutes he was gone.

“July 13 was a hot day in France, just like it is today. We had gone out on scout maneuver the night before. Five or six of us were ‘asked’ to volunteer. G Company was always picked to engage the enemy. I was BAR man with an automatic rifle, which weighed 27 pounds with a bi-pod.

“We had gotten down in a gully. My objective was to find an opening in the apple orchards and put fire on the enemy.”

n Life-changing event

“Approximately 5:30 in the afternoon this old Georgia boy went down, shot by a German sniper with a high-velocity rifle.

“In less than 2 or 3 minutes, two medics were over me and I was carried to a field hospital 3-4 miles away.”

“The next morning, I was awakened with the doctors discussing my condition. One of them was a German doctor who had earlier surrendered.”

They mentioned “wood fragments.”

Mixon was placed on a transport plane with 17 other injured soldiers and then on a Red-Cross train arriving at Braintree, England.

The next morning, five doctors examined the wounded soldier’s leg.

Gangrene had taken over.

Following surgery, Mixon started rehab.

“The 116th took St. Lo. and while we were moving, we ran into the same barrier in Germany’s big rivers as we faced on Omaha Beach.

In April of 1945, while using a bazooka, Mixon took out a German tank and received a Bronze Star for his heroics -- one of 11 medals the soldier would receive.

“I’m proud of my medals, but I think about the dead soldiers that made the path for us to crawl through,” says an emotional Mixon.

“I came home limping in January of 1946.

“When I came home, there was no work for servicemen.

“Everyone farmed.”

(“When I was 13, I worked on a farm for 25 cents per day and was fed.”)

Years later, in 1981, the decorated soldier sought medical assistance from the very country he fought for, was wounded for and cherishes. He ran into obstacles, revolving doors and numerous setbacks.

But as during his military days, Mixon kept on fighting. He received assistance.

Says Daniel Lorie Mixon, “If there are any veterans out there who served on D-Day, I’d like to hear from you.”

“Soldier, your country thanks you.”

11. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

And for all that, look what this nation has become.

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

My Dad was there, and talked to me about it precisely one time. I was on leave and we were staying with Mom and dad at the farm. I woke up early, made coffee, and was reading the paper on the front porch overlooking the valley when he came out and sat down beside me. He talked for about 7 minutes about making multiple runs to the beach in his landing craft, what he saw when they dropped the ramps, and about a Captain nearly beaching his ship in a successful effort to destroy an artillery emplacement which could be hit by no other means. Then he went back in the house. I was a Senior Chief when he told me his memories of what he experienced as a very junior Sailor, and it was a really weird moment. Still is, when you get down to it.
    He died last year after a very lengthy decline, so I'll never know everything he saw and felt. I think that's the way he intended it

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Great bump Winds...

Thank you to all who served...

15. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i knew numerous veterans in WV who landed at Omaha beach. An uncle by marriage was in the second wave to hit Omaha beach. He said it was impossible to avoid stepping on the bodies of troops of the first wave. Another uncle by marriage drove an assault boat at Omaha beach. My first cousin died in the Airborne drop at St. Mere Eglise early in the morning of D-Day.

Meanwhile in the Pacific: The US Navy had routed the Japanese Navy at the battle for Midway.

They were the greatest generation.