Jumped on a Winchester lever earlier today...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by big shrek, Feb 18, 2012.

1. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

picked up a Winchester 250 this afternoon...not a whole lot on the 'net about 'em...
    anyone else got one?

I've got a schematic, but wouldn't mind seeing a copy of a manual ;)

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Hey Shrek,Nice grab.
    I've had a 255 (22WMR)for many years.They are pretty good little rifles.
    If you want to disassemble the trigger assembly for cleaning,there's a good video on youtube that will show you how to do it.

3. big shrek

I need to find a 255 & a Marlin 57M also...someday ;)

After I get it cleaned & optimized, the 250 & my Marlin 56 are going to the range for a Gun-Off ;)
    War of the Modern Lever-actions, as it were!

I must say that at first glance, the trigger SUX...ton of creep, then a heavy pull at the end...yukko.
    Other than that, its dirty as heck and will receive a field-strip & total cleaning in a few days (on my day off)...
    I'm hoping that the cleaning will help the trigger a bit, along with making it easier to work the action & load it...
    its just chock-full of crud...

4. big shrek

This thing is Disgustingly dirty...even the mag tube is full of some sort of brown paste-like goo...

5. Blackwaterkatz

Blackwaterkatz New Member

I had a 255 many years ago; wish I still had it, but it was stolen from my brother's home. Great shooting and handling rifle in 22 mag.

6. big shrek

Pic time!

Before cleaning...
    [​IMG]

Before cleaning closeup...
    [​IMG]

After cleaning...
    [​IMG]

Spent about 2 hours on the bolt & action housing alone so far...
    next comes the cleanup of the lever assembly & action...I know, it looks all shiny, but that's just after ONE attack with a toothbrush & Hoppes...
    and it ain't really as shiny as the flash made it out...
    [​IMG]

pics don't do the gunk justice...I'll be spending a day or two taking it apart & polishing all mating surfaces & cleaning it properly.

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

Nice buy. Looking good!!