Judge or 45 colt gov

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by paccerelli, Jul 22, 2011.

1. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

Hi
    I am torn between the tarus judge and a 45 gov model yes I'm aware of the basic differences but I'm more interested in hearing the different uses as to what each is better suited for besides cool factor stuff basically I'm opinion hunting right now thank in advance

Even from the gates of heaven I saw there was a path to hell

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The Taurus Judge is better suited as a novelty firearm, but it can also be used for home defense, anti car jacking, the range, and personal defense. The Colt Government Model 45 is better suited for home defense, carry, personal defense, and the range.

Regarding Taurus, generally their firearms are a hit or a miss. Where Colt is generally one of the best/better firearm manufacturers. Personally I would go with the Colt, because I love the 1911, and I know I'm getting a high quality firearm that will function properly.

If you really want to get something like the Judge I would recommend getting Smith and Wesson's Govenor model. It can fire .410 shells, .454 Casull cartridges, and .45 Colt cartridges.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

look into the smith&wesson govenor if you want something like the judge but built with quality,were not aloud to own the judge or govenor here in california other wise id have one.....by one i mean the smith&wesson

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Since I am not sure if you are referring to the Colt Government 1911 or the S&W Governor, I will refer to both.

Pick of the two I would prefer the S&W Governor over the Tarus Judge. Unlike the Judge, the Governor can take .45 ACP in addition to the .45 Long Colt and .410. is better made and it is a S&W! :cool:

Now if you are talking about the .45 Colt Government 1911, hell yes, I would get it over the Tarus Judge hands down and for all the very reasons explained by Firearms4ever up there in his post. Besides, it's a Colt! :cool:

Hey if you get a chance stop by the INTRODUCTIONS thread and tell us a little about yourself and firearms interests so the members can say howdy! :D

5. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

This ^^ Agree 100%

6. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

Ok I'll head over there and post a little something about me and my firearms and what not thanks for all the posts I had no clue the SW made a similar pistol but first I'll go with the colt then it when I post my bio you'll see why I said both not blowing my own horn it's just my hobby firearms that is but more the black weapon scene then anything else

7. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

Ok well I've decided to go with the 1911 first but now I'm faced with a few more choices such as the following
    Models
    Sig sauer 1911 tac ops model on the fact I love sig and all the extras you get with it

Springfield's tac 1911 model although I'm not sure what all it comes with and have done more then sales counter research on it

Then the standard colt 1911 gov model on which I'd build to suit my style type thing

But then there's the point if I'm going to rebuild it anyway why not get a cheap one and go that route

Fire away gentleman

8. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

I got a colt gold cup, its perfect and the only thing I changed was the grips. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

What are some of the extras you're looking for or what are the things you want to do to the firearm?

10. JohnJak

JohnJak Member

Springfield Tac.

11. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

Well with the tac versions I wouldn't have to upgrade the externals or grips and in most cases there would be a need to have machine work on the feed ramp or ejection areas of those as opposed to the others so I guess you could say I'm looking at from if I go ahead and invest in weapon less work or mods needed if I got weapon b I'd have to do x y & z but also that's half the fun as well to

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

If you go the route with a Tac version then I would recommend either a Colt Gold Cup 1911 or a Springfield Loaded 1911. Then you can tweek what you need to or want to in order to make it to your liking. If you go the route with a basic model I would Recommend a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and then you can tailor it to you liking with additions and such.

If this was my decision I would just go with the Mil-Spec so I could tailor it to my liking, and not have to pay a heavy price tag for a Tac version. Plus the Mil-Spec has a nice 3 dot sight system so you'll have less things to tailor. I have the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and I absolutely love it, and I have it stock, but I'll probably by a flat mainspring housing and see which I prefer.

13. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

I know prices vary by market but what did yours run you

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Mine ran me around $680-$690 after tax and all.

15. ET1

ET1 New Member

OK, everybody needs a good 1911 in their safe. That being said, I don't have one yet. BUT I did buy a Judge Ultra-Lite 3 years ago. I have had no problems in three years. I have shot approx. 200 410 shells, and 1000 45LC through this gun. I even shot 50 each 45acp rounds through it using moon clips. I have been told that the increased pressure of the acp rounds should have damaged my Judge, but it shows no signs of any problems. Nothing is loose, no cracks everything seems to be OK. Sure a problem could show up in the future, but I am fine with my Judge at this time.

...Oh yeah, & if I had it to do over again I would buy a 1911 instead of the Judge. Why? Because everybody needs a good 1911 in their safe. Everybody doesn't need a Judge Ultra-Lite. Yes I would have to pay more than the $450 I paid for the Judge, but it would be worth it to sit here and type that I own a fine Springfield 1911 & I was thinking of getting a Judge of some sort. Yeah, that's what I'd do...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  16. XR750

XR750 New Member

Of the choices my pick is a Colt Government Model Series 70 MK IV.
    my two cents
    Joe-R

17. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

the judge I need to get one, there good for hiking, walking the streets late and night, home defense, anti zombies. Plus if you get into a pinch load it with buck shot and you don't have to worry as much about missing.

18. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

I have a Taurus PT-1911 .45 ACP Duo-Tone and a Taurus Public Defender SS .45 LC/.410.

I like both I have shot about 300-350 rounds of 230 grain FMJ through the 1911 and (10) 00 Buck shells,17 PDX,17 Deer slugs,and 22 #4 shot shells through the Judge.

For close up I feel more comforted firing 1 PDX and then 1 000 Buck from the Judge than 2 JHP from a 1911.

For farther away it looks like the shot doesn't carry as wel as a .45 ACP.

If I had a smaller budget I'd get a Windicator or Rossi Revolver in .357 Mag and the Judge in .45 LC/.410.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  19. paccerelli

paccerelli New Member

That's interesting that the shot from the judge doesn't carry well also are there speed loaders for the judge that's something g I haven't researched at all

20. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

I'm liking the springfield armory mil-spec 1911 I just purchased. Don't really see the need to change anything on it. It is amazing to me that John Browning designed that firearm 100 years ago and it is still the king.