Judge denies motion to dismiss case against Philly mom arrested for legal gun in NJ

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Cnon, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cnon

Cnon Member

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

They should drop the charges against her for the gun charge and jail her for naming her child "Sincere."

But seriously...wow.... No common sense in law these days it seems...less of keeping criminals off the streets, and keeping the streets safe, and more of locking people up for technical violations.

3. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

PRNJ is about the craziest anti-gun state in the entire USA. Ran work sites in numerous states. PRNJ was the one state where i never took a gun; even managed to obtain a MA carry permit.

Yep, the lady made a mistake; a big mistake. Judges in PRNJ often give career criminals breaks. Why not a break for this lady? If Christie really wants to be president he had better do something about this one.

4. mseric

mseric New Member

The article posted is misleading at best.

This,
    " Philadelphia mother who mistakenly entered New Jersey, where she was stopped for a traffic violation and found in possession of a handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets."
    Gives the impression that she got lost, made a wrong turn, or missed a Freeway Exit and drove into NJ by mistake.

Then the article goes on to say this,

"Allen said she acquired the gun legally just a week prior to her arrest. She was headed to Atlantic City, N.J., in the early-morning hours to prepare for her son’s birthday party, which was being held three days later."

You can't "Mistakenly" drive from PA all the way across the State of NJ to Atlantic City.

She "Intentionally" entered NJ where she planned to stay for several days.

She was a valid permit holder in PA. as such she should know the laws and the rules regarding legal carry of a handgun. Especially the laws of neighboring states that are anti-gun like NJ.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It sucks. But, I've got to agree that a permit holder should understand the limits of their permit. Also, it's not a new saying, "ignorance of the law is not considered an excuse."

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope the NRA will take this all the way up to SCOTUS on constitutional grounds. But that judge was correct in applying the existing law.

The judge may not agree with that law either, but he's legally bound to uphold and administer the laws passed by his legislature.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes it sucks big time. but the fact of the matter is, she broke the law in NJ, and her having a CC permit is irrelevant. if anything she should have been aware of the gun laws in NJ and IMO, it was her responsibility to know where she could and couldn't carry.

as i have said before in other posts when the story first broke, i hope she prevails and learns a valuable lesson about where she can and can't carry. i hope they don't decide to just make an example out of her for simple error in judgement.

at this point, they are legally within their rights to push for any all measures under the law. she is right now pretty much at the mercy of the DA and the judge on how it turns out.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

The NRA and other firearms organization have their hands full at the moment. I doubt they have the time or the resources to get involved in this type of case.

If she wants help, she should get the NAACP involved, as the Cop was clearly racist. Jesse and Al should be rallying the troops and demanding the cops resignation and demand that Holder order the charges dropped.

To bad she wasn't a Local Leader in a MADS/DADS type of anti-gun organization like Dwayne Ferguson, then she would have no problem getting the charged either dropped or reduced to a Misdemeanor.

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The NAACP, Jesse and "Big Al" won't help her at all. They're liberal democRATS first and blacks second.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And she actually had a permit. They prefer to back criminals.

12. mseric

mseric New Member

My guess she is as well.

13. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I think this is all a big fat ploy. She is working for Gov Christie. Everything is going as planned. He will pardon her and score, big time with the NRA, modestly with the blacks. He will be howled at by the liberal commentators, which will only help him further.

Not really a ploy. But it will be a genuine break for Christie.

14. mseric

mseric New Member

COOL, I like it!

15. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

What was the outcome on the Ferguson situation...or is it still pending..?

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The woman rolled the dice and they came up snake-eyes. When you gamble, you must be prepared to lose.

Unless you would be willing to let the Federal government set carry laws, you should accept that the people of NJ have the rights to make and enforce their laws as they see fit and to prosecute criminals. (Just as the people in Texas or Florida do) I don't see the need for all of the alligator tears shed over her.

She broke the law, she was caught and she is being prosecuted. That sounds like good police work. I thought conservatives were all about being tough on crime.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

We are about common sense, and also about paying attention. People who blame the arresting officer are not conservatives, they are low information voters. I never complained that she is prosecuted in NJ. She has to be. The question is whether she should serve time in prison.

19. Cnon

Cnon Member

So you're saying that the officer had no discretion here?

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I don't know the NJ statute. It is likely that letting someone go with an illegal handgun and a warning would have been a serious misconduct. You would also have to trust a complete stranger that no other crime will be committed with the illegal handgun in possession. If you can assume this much, you are not in LE business.