Jp Reduced power springs

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Dec 27, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Someone recently told me I should use some solvent on these springs to get the yellow paint off otherwise it will come off during rifle cleaning later.

So my questions are
    1. Is this statement true?
    And if so
    2. What solvent should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

You're cleaning such a small part, that if the Cleaner liguidifies the Paint, I wouldn't worry. You'll Oil/Grease right afterwards anyway, so no harm. These Springs are Painted to show that they're not a "stock spring". If you already know after installing and the Paint came off, what affect would it cause? If however changing back to "stock springs", then I would want to remark them with same color, to not get confused with other Springs.
    Del

Sorry, got off on wrong track. I don't know what might clean paint off these Springs. It could be Acetone, Mineral Spirits. I've always left mine as they came and it never affected their function or made cleaning any messier with residue of the Paint.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

3. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I didn't think gun cleaner could take the paint off but I wasn't sure its my first time using these springs and I just didn't want yellow paint all over the inside of my receivers if it did come off but thank u for clearing that up for me appreciate it a lot.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am sure the yellow paint put on by JP will cause absolutely Zero issues at all. Being the reputable company they are I assure you if it caused any issues they would not have it on there. Myself it would be of no concern. In fact I would want to leave it on for identification purposes as some have stated previously.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I agree, it's someone's fantasy. Paint-marked springs are used even in handguns in closer proximity to the barreled action. I use colored springs all the time. Never heard of that being an issue. The surest way to remove paint is acetone, but there is no need for it. Keep the springs as they are, in case you need an ID.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

It was me who suggested you on the other thread. I use Break Free Powder Blast, you can get them easily from Walmart.
    As others said, some will leave them for identification purposes from other springs. Removing the paint or not will not do any harm at all. It is just my preference by removing ahead so the paint residue won't be all over inside my receiver.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This should be added to the ever growing list of gun related urban legends. Your "friend" is anal retentive and should be treated as such. Don't worry about it. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? That should clear things up

8. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I'm not worried about it went together fine and doesn't seem like the paint will come off I was just curious.

Donk it wasn't u who told me that it was a close friend of mine I was talking to about doing the trigger swap the last week, but I did see that u posted about it after I posted this thread.

Either way I'm thankful for all the help u guys have givin me over the last almost year it has been more then helpful and now has me owning a very well put together AR15.

Much appreciated as always.

9. samnev

samnev New Member

I've been using the JP reduced power trigger springs for a few years now and have not seen any of the yellow paint come off.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've had my issue m16a1 lower during basic training filled with gravel and dirt and mud from low crawling and still functioned fine in semi and full auto, I doubt a few paint flakes will deadline an ar15...

Once it was so stuffed with mud after a live fire the hammer and sears and safety had carved channels in the gunk but it still worked

11. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Same here. Have put around 2500 rounds through mine with those springs and zero paint has come off. We're now making solutions for problems that don't exist. Are we government? Haha

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I do clean my lower receiver by spraying the lower outside/ inside with break free powder blast. And noticed the paint came off.
    So that was why i shared my experience just in case IF any of you clean the lower receiver like i do.
    I know lower receiver usually clean enough regardless you have shot few, 100 or 1000 rounds. But it's just me.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

I just detail strip the lowers and run everything in a ultrasonic cleaner then spray it all with clp if it gets grungy enough a simple cleaning won't do.

14. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Do the jp springs work good?? They claim to take 2pounds off the mil-spec triggers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

To me yes it does. Try it.. it's an inexpensive $10-15 upgrade.

16. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

For ten bucks it's worth a try. Sure I can drop 100-300 on a high end trigger but that money can go else where. Like into a barrel or maybe a nice chrome bcg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

My first experience with them is great they are worth the few $ they cost IMHO

18. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Does it really shave two pounds off or close to it? I imagine ud have to break them in an they will loosin up

19. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

It really does I put my springs on aftermarket ALG ACT Trigger dropped the pull on that by about 1.5-2lbs now my trigger pull is 3.5lbs instead of about 5.5lbs of the standard ALG ACT Trigger or my original mil spec trigger which was around 7-8lbs and gritty is now smooth, crisp, and light

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  20. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Sounds good. I'll give them a try:)