Jonas 12Gauge boltaction

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dirtydeeds, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

Just inherited it, truest loading shells down the tube and cannot figure out how to load it..

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

pics please!

I've only shot one bolt action 12 gauge it had a two round clip and it had a real funky clip release.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Uselesswithoutpics.jpg

OK- lemme see- just got the Crystal ball back from the shop- thing keeps losing calibration.

By any chance- bolt action shotgun? Tube type magazine? Hole in the underside of the stock below the bolt- sorta long?

If so, variant of the High Standard that was made for Sears- JC Higgins. There was a safety recall on the Sears guns- problem with bolt coming out, hitting shooter in face (reportedly due to missing or loose screw on L side that retains bolt) No fix, Sears was buying back bolts to inactivate guns.

To load- try this- make sure you have the correct shell. Gauge AND length. Open bolt, draw back. Turn gun over- you should be able to slide shell into magazine. Closing bolt will likely chamber shell.

4. c3shooter

Here is a pic of the JC Higgins gun- ignore the polychoke on the muzzle. Look anything like yours?

sears shotgun.jpg

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the gun in the picture is the same one it looks like, im having a problem with the mag, it dosent hold shells back so when you go to chainber a round the shell either gets jammed up with more shells that come back when the lever jumps a shell up and it flicks the shells so hard it either hits you in the face or drops one or how ever meny down the bottom

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The problem was with 12 gauges only. The only thing locking the bolt was the thin web of the receiver right behind the bolt handle. This was breaking off and several shooters got a face full of bolt.

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

I belive I have found the problem, the tube mag. Dosebt hold shells in it it just pushes them back towards the chainber, witch makes a mess of the shells

8. c3shooter

In light of the somewhat questionable history of that model, I would strongly suggest that, rather than restore to shooting condition, that one should have the firing pin removed by a gunsmith, get wiped down with a good presrvative, and be given a place of honor above the fireplace. Sometimes, things need to retire too.

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

haha yeah I know it would be an idea, but I Wana shoot too bad

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my $.02. Take the shotgun to a compotent gunsmith and have him check it out. Have him inspect the reciever for cracks or other signs of stress, and if he tells you it's good to go use low pressure loads. My grandfather and my uncle have been using his J.C. Higgins for deer, with slugs, for over 50 years with no problems at all. When in doubt, have it checked out. If it passes muster and you do use it, check that bolt retainer after each shooting session while you are performing your DCOR on it. If you see cracks or signs of fatigue, pull the pin,oil it, and hang it on the wall. Good luck and enjoy.