Firearms Talk banner

15261 - 15280 of 15942 Posts

·
Administrator
26,170 Posts
Used to snorkel and scuba in Hawai'i a bit. Old time local fellow taught me- if you ever find all of the little fish are trying to hide BEHIND you- time to get out of the water, bra!

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Used to snorkel and scuba in Hawai'i a bit. Old time local fellow taught me- if you ever find all of the little fish are trying to hide BEHIND you- time to get out of the water, bra!
Once nice thing I appreciated, about snorkeling in Hawaii was how amazingly clear the water was.

Hiked down from Haleakala (Maui) to the ocean, once. One of the little bays nearby was about ~250yds wide, with rocky coral bottom and hard-to-believe colors everywhere. Which made it easy to see the huge shadow slowly crossing the far side of the bay. Took awhile to see the mobile "chainsaw" unit tied to that shadow, but it was a good-sized shark. Snorkeling all of a sudden got lower on our list of things to be doing right then. Having done thousands of days of ocean swimming back in those days, I suppose I was happier than being caught edging out of the kelp forest, but it was still disconcerting. At least we were snorkeling and not making a ton of noise. Even so, I figure: if we could see him ... he could probably see us. Dang crystal-clear water.

·
Administrator
34,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Or, when surfing: getting "Maytagged." (No, I've no photos to show it happened. Only seared-in memories, there. And the healed abrasion scars over there. And this jagged ...)

At least we Yanks don't often have "The Man in the Grey Suit" up here. At least, no nearly so frequently as Aussies seem to.
I call the Great Whites swimming chainsaws for obvious reasons or the other sharks Tax Collectors especially when you haul in what was a real good fish which has suddenly lost a lot of weight.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
I call the Great Whites swimming chainsaws for obvious reasons or the other sharks Tax Collectors especially when you haul in what was a real good fish which has suddenly lost a lot of weight.
Blue sharks, off the West Coast of the U.S. Voracious. Pack hunters. Frenzies. And when you pull up a string of fat cod or grouper, it's all too likely to find half or more torn to pieces before it's brought up. BTDT, numerous times. "Tax Collectors" ... I like that. Very good nickname.

·
Administrator
26,170 Posts
Was in Honolulu as speaker for conference, held at the Sheraton Beach in Waikiki. During a break I walked out on the 5th floor balcony. You could look pretty much straight down into the water. Water full of tourist. Watched about a 6 ft shark (Tiger, I think) swim right thru the tourists within 50 feet of the shore, and back out again. Because of the angle, I doubt that any of the swimmers ever saw their visitor.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Stopped in auto parts store to get some wiper blades, youngster at the counter, cheerful "How may we help you today, sir?" Said "Need a radiator cap, 1969 VW Beetle." He starts typing away on the computer a mile a minute. Older worker standing beside him, looks at me, never says a word, smacks youngster across the back of the head.
years ago I pulled into a mobile gas station that I did a lot of business with.
I was driving a 65 Corvair Monza
The owner of the station says "yeah I got a sharp pump jockey today"
I says "watch this"
I pull up to the pump and say "fill it with regular" and "check the antifreeze"
He opens the TRUNK and say's "where's the motor"??

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
When they still pumped your gas I pulled into a station to fill up and use the restroom. My car's tank held 11 gallons. I got back and the kid said 18 gallons. Call the boss out here. Owner comes out and says the pump says 18 gallons so pay or he will call the police. I said call them. I pulled the owners manual and showed him the car only took 11 gallons and I was not empty. He asked if another car pulled in before I went to the restroom and I told him what car pulled in. We settled on 8 gallons and he told the kid (his son) he was paying for the other 10 gallons. He filled up his friends car on my fill. It was not funny then.

15261 - 15280 of 15942 Posts