Joining the military

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gaeilgeoir, Aug 7, 2011.

1. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Ok i just wanted to throw this out there and get some objective opinions; what do we think of military service? And what ages do we think one should join (or if), for how long, what branch, NCO or officer etc.....just a wild q, looking for interesting opinions....

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i think it should be mandatory for high school graduates to serve, at least a few years., then are allowed to go to collage or what ever they choose.... how much better would the world be if we ALL had a few of the same expriences

3. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

I actually think the same, they do do it in some countries (israel switzerland etc) and i just think it might help the country a bit too, build a bit of respect and stuff too, but its hard for me to decide to do it, and i really want to do rotc too but my parents are against it and im nt sure if i want to commit to 8 yrs service after college, like id only be out (if i made it) at 30 yrs old..

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

It would be akin to a draft service
    if it was mandatory for everyone to
    serve right out of high school. In fact,
    the idea should be reinstated, as that
    would provide the 'passage of rites'
    teenagers are missing in their evolution.
    I was drafted at the age of eighteen into
    the Army and later sent to Vietnam. I hated
    it, as street life in NYC was still in my blood.
    But later in life as I look back I think it was
    structual and positive in that it chiseled out
    a character in me I would not have otherwise found.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i went in the army at 21 my only regret was not doing it a helluva lot sooner at 18. if your 18+ you dont need parental approval.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

First, one should have a basic grasp on punctuation and capitalization.

7. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

I am sorry shihan that i do not type with the 'Queen's English';
    1. I am on my ipod, so it is not as user friendly as a keypad
    2. I am used to shortening everything so as to type quicker to friends
    3. I do have the ability, I am a straight A english student, and I read, a lot.

Thank you for your input though. :)

8. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

And ye i just would rather their approval you know? :) but im almost positive i will join. (oh and btw im 17, so almost there :p)

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

You can tell by my avatar that I favor the military.

If you're going to college, ROTC might be a great way for you to find out. Things may have changed, but when I was college age, you could do two years of ROTC without a commitment to the service. So you could get a taste without "buying in."

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I enlisted at 17. Army. Private. Became an NCO, later, became an officer. On reflection, 17 is too young for most people.

Despite the (sometimes) good natured bickering that goes on between the branches of service, they ALL serve a purpose. I can no more tell you if, or what service, you would do well in, than I can tell you your shoe size.

DO spend time talking with the recruiters- remembering that they ARE sales people with a sales goal, but what they promise IN WRITING will be delivered.

While I agree with the concept of required service as a component of being a citizen, my element of the Army has always been all volunteer- and rarely had a shortage of troops.

11. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Actually utf59 that is a very good idea, ill look into it, and ye thats what i was thinkin about with rotc, i would be about 22 when i finished college then, but if my mind changed by then id be screwed :p (although i dont think it will) and ye ive done that before but (naturally enough) i can only do that online so it only helps so much. And ye i always thought maybe reserves or something as mandatory, like so you would have the training, but still have a young workforce and relative freedom.

12. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

In 1970 they had the lottery draft. I was number 41 and they were drafting to two hundred and something. Went in as a private E-nothing and after basic & AIT went to the NCO academy and straight to RVN, do not pass go or collect two hundred dollars. Kind of liked it, spent three years active duty and seventeen years USAR. Retired in 1990 as First Sargent. Biggest mistake I made, and if I could do it all over again, would have gone to Officer Candidate School (OCS) or helicopter flight school. Pay and benefits would have been 3X better. IMO, I believe every person, man and woman alike should have mandatory service of some sort. If nothing else, stick them on the southern border for a two year stint for some target shooting practice.

13. opaww

opaww New Member

I joined at 17 and never regreted it, I spent 21 years in there and would still be there but I got old and tired. I was in durring the draft and after they ended the draft. I feel a lot better knowing that the person fighting beside me was not forced to serve but was there of their own accord.

14. Shihan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHX_8yMENUo]‪joe dolce shut up your face‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bZKQeRJXE]‪Minor Threat- I Don't Wanna Hear It‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

15. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

If you want a easy military job, join the Air Force. If ya like it rough, join the Marines or Army. Navy is also a pretty easy branch, if ya don't mind being on a ship for long periods of time.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The Air Force is the way to go. You get to deploy without having your *** in the grass. They have special ops as well. I loved my 6 years of service and wish I were still able to serve.

17. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

What do I think....
    My nephew joined when he was 18 and is now retiring at what would be considered a young age with full benifits....
    My God Son just came home from his deployment in Iraq...
    My daughter is stationed in AZ at present and is learning to fly UAV's...
    31 hero's were just murdered by a talaban that fired a rocket at their helo...

When it is your time nothing will stop it, be safe, do what is right for you, but if you enlist with a college degree of any kind you go in with rank and benifits...
    What ever you may do be safe and if someone says "Hey Watch this!" duck and cover.....:eek:

18. NOVA

NOVA New Member

I enlisted in the Navy, got out and went back in again - made it to Petty Officer First Class (E-6 paygrade) and stayed in a total of 13 1/2 years. Military service definitely changes your life. No one who goes in and stays in will be the same. Maturity. Teamwork. Discipline, Leadership, adventure, confidence, knowing yourself, and being all you can be.

If I had to do it all over again I would do two things different:
    1. Stay in for a full twenty years.
    2. Go in as an officer. After Boot Camp you are done scrubbing toilets!

19. Shihan

Scrubbing toilets builds character. I am glad I went in as enlisted. If I could do it all over, I wouldn't change a thing.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My brother was number 4 in the Viet Nam lottery draft.