Job Possibilities?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

So. When my time in the Marine Corps ends, no earlier than 2016, my wife and I are considering moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have been to Texas before, but never for a job. She has family about four hours north, near Oklahoma City, and I have relatives in Forth Worth. Otherwise we might move to near Oklahoma City.

These seem to be mostly 2A friendly states, and there are other things that attract us to them.

Here's my question for y'all who might be familiar with either area.

I've been looking online to get an idea of the job market and what types of things might be available to me in Dallas. I haven't started looking for OK yet.

I am mostly interested in a job as a civilian defense contractor of some sort. It doesn't have to be terribly thrilling. I have a rather specialized skill set.

Right now however the most important aspect is the pay. I don't like saying that, because I thoroughly believe in doing something I enjoy, but right now I'd like to find as good of a paying job as I can, for my family's sake. So I don't mind biting the bullet for a few years while we save up more money and maybe working towards a $0 balance on the mortgage (we don't own a house yet). Later on I can do fun stuff that I'm interested in, if I want to.

So what are some suggestions for jobs? I wouldn't mind joining the police force, but that isn't very good pay from what I understand. I have looked at some airlines, because their pay isn't terrible for certain jobs, and you can fly your family all over the country (with Southwest, anyway). So that's a neat perk.

Honestly though if there are decent defense contracting opportunities in Dallas/FW or Oklahoma City, I'd like to do that.

Any ideas?

If you actually know of some jobs and are interested in my qualifications, send me a PM. Otherwise lets hear your suggestions!

Oh and for what its worth, my wife intends to be an RN by the time we're down there. She's pretty close already. But I'd still need to work!

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I suggestion -- you'll enjoy living in Fort Worth a lot more than Dallas.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks guys. So what's so bad about the Dallas area? Is it just too big and congested?

5. texaswoodworker

The traffic is horrible. Fort Worth and Arlington aren't exactly great, but it's not Dallas either (Which is why I recommended you look at an area like North Richland Hills which are suburbs, and not far from Fort Worth).

https://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&h...apid=tlif137826497872811&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

If you don't mind the traffic, I say go for it. It would drive me crazy though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's rough. Quick aside - is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal in Texas? I've heard it is.

7. texaswoodworker

Not sure, but people do it.

Was in Arlington a couple weeks ago and traffic was bad. Saw a guy on a motorcycle ride the line in between the cars going pretty dang fast. :eek: NOT recommended.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. texaswoodworker

I found this.

http://ridetexas.com/Dynamic/texasmotorcyclelaws/

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

JW, i lived in the Grand Prairie area of Dallas many years ago and worked in downtown Dallas. drove right past Dealey Plaza everday on my way to work. i would visit Ft Worth quite a bit when i lived there and hung out around the Stockyards District a lot.

Ft. Worth is much less congested and much easier to navigate. if i had to make a choice, i would probably live closer to Ft. Worth rather than Dallas.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting.

It's legal here (the one good thing about Kalifornia) but very dangerous. I only do it when traffic is bumper-to-bumper. And when I do, I go barely faster than the cars.

Was just asking because if traffic is really that bad in Dallas I would just ride my bike as much as possible and "white-line."

If the law is that ambiguous I simply won't do it.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What's your specialized skill set?

Keep checking the defense contractors websites for opportunities. Raytheon, GD, Lockheed, Boeing, KBR.

Also keep an eye on USAJOBS.gov , veterans preference can go a long way in getting you a federal job if you are interested. Knowing someone helps even more but vet status is a close second.

12. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

You might be surprised at how well some police departments pay as long as you stay out of Dallas PD.

North Dallas isn't so bad. Driving from the northern cities into Dallas is horrendous though. Buddy of mine works for Dallas PD and drives from the north end of DFW into downtown everyday. He hates it but likes his neighborhood so he puts up with it. Plus he wants to keep his kids out of Dallas schools.

There are plenty of good towns up here. Coppell (housing might be kind of high for the area), Carrolton, Farmers Branch, Lewisville, Grapevine, Flower Mound. Plano and Frisco are real nice areas but tends to be "new money" so you might hit some snootiness but I generally find them less obnoxious than what I dealt with around Fairfax, VA.

Also, if you want to split the difference there is HEB (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) which have some real nice communities and are a decent commute to both Dallas and Fort Worth. Will still be a hell drive if you go downtown Dallas everyday though. Downtown Fort Worth from HEB isn't too bad.

In general I'd stay away from the Northeastern side of town, like Richardson. The I-75 corridor has become traffic hell in the last 10 years. Wasn't so bad when we moved here but I was driving it everyday for awhile and thought I was going to lose my mind.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JW,

Here is some information I found about Ft. Worth PD. One also has to conside insurance benifits and other fringes. Insurance costs and arm and a leg if one has to purchase their own and family plans. So something to consider when figuring salary. In addition to enjoying your job and not hating to go to work everyday. Also other fields of interest. Like SWAT becoming a firearms instructor in time and other interesting things to do other than just patrol. Spent almost 30 years doing it and never was sorry for my occupational choice.

Ft. Worht Texas Police Officer Salary & Benefits
    $3,208 monthly while in training
    $4,348 monthly upon graduation
    In addition to this base pay:
    LONGEVITY PAY: $4 per month times the number of years of service, up to 25 years.
    INCENTIVE PAY: $60 per month for associate degree, or $120 per month as a college graduate, following one or more years of service after commissioned, (college degree must be in related areas); or $30 per month for intermediate certificate, or $60 per month for advanced certificate, State of Texas Certification (Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Standards and Education).
    COURT PAY: If you are required to appear in court on your time, you receive overtime pay.
    BILINGUAL INCENTIVE PAY: Up to $125 per month upon successful completion on Language Proficiency.
    UNIFORM ALLOWANCE: $325.00 per yea
    Benefits:
    PROMOTIONS: Promotions are granted on basis of competitive Civil Service examination.
    FRINGE BENEFITS:
    15 days sick leave each year
    Three (3) weeks paid vacation
    Eight (8) paid holidays
    Seven (7) days family sick leave
    Retirement fund
    Credit Union
    Military leave
    Life insurance and co-paid group hospitalization available in service area
    Dental Plan

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Thanks, 03. I saw that information on their website, but I do appreciate it.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Also guys, I forgot to mention. I have no desire to live in the city. I want to own a little bit of land. At least 5 acres, but the places I'm looking at are 10+.

I would work in the city (either Dallas or FW, wherever I could find a decent job) and live slightly outside the city. This would more than likely make my commute worse, but that's what we wanna do.

16. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I'm sure that's doable in Dallas but you'd have to live in south of Dallas and drive in. South Dallas is nasty. Fort Worth would probably work much better. Unless you're willing to do a really long drive, which I know some people do.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Why is south dallas bad? Is it crime-ridden? Or are we still talking traffic?

18. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Yes to both.

19. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

That is a complex question involving an in-depth understanding of historical demographic shift, effect on the local communities, and resulting stagnation/suburban decline to adequately answer. There was a day when the place to be was S. Dallas....now the projected center of the metroplex will be NW of Ft Worth in 15 yrs. SE DFW is shrinking and NW is growing.

Honestly traffic is really bad within 20 miles of DFW. A weekday drive from SW Fort Worth to NE Dallas can easily take over 2.5 hrs.
    I live 15 miles NW of FT Worth and there is a FT Worth officer in my neighborhood.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. Thanks guys.

Based on this thread I've basically refocused to Fort Worth. I've already found three or four houses that are perfect for us. Of course they prolly won't still be for sale when we get there, but if we act fast...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013