Jhp

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lbwar15, Aug 9, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Hat would be the cheapest jhp for .45 acp?
    Trying to stock up lol.

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Reload your own.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't spend money on hollow points for practice ammo.

So assuming you're stockpiling a reserve in case you ever need them for "serious social shooting," :D any good premium ammo is as good as any other.

Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester Ranger or Silvertip, Hornady Critical Defense, Federal etc.

I would avoid their "economy" lines like Winchester USA (White Box", Remington UMC, and Federal's "cheapie" etc.

Buy whatever "premium" is on sale at the time. and it doesn't hurt to mix brands, as long as bullet weight and velocity are the same.

4. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Ammo or just bullets?

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Ammo. I should have bin more clear. I'm trying to stock up in case shtf. I would love to use gold dots or something similar but at $1,250 for 1,000 rounds no thanks. I'm just looking for some cheap jhp's I can buy 1,000 rounds hear and there and not go broke or get murdered by the wife.

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

You can buy a reloader and all the supplies, assuming you have the brass, for under $500. If you have a reloader supplies alone for 1,000 230 gr JHP's would be under $200.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Remington in the green & gray box feeds and shoots reliably in my pistols. It is available at most Walmarts, Dunham's, etc.

Watch various websites, Cabela's, PSA, etc. for sales on Fiocchi, PMC, etc.

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Best investment I've ever made. I have more ammo on hand now than ever before. If I have an hour or two to kill, I load. It adds up quick and in a SHTF situation, I'd be just as happy to be shooting JHP, FMJ, SWC, LRN, pretty much any round that works in the gun is good in that type of situation.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Buy whatever goes through your gun the best. :cool:

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was young, I stocked up by buying one or two boxes every payday. It's amazing how fast it adds up!:)

11. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Many views...

Load your own. Makes the best (for your weapon) and cheapest.

It's a .45ACP.... Target loads that just lope along are devastating on 'ZOMBIES' or other targets of the same size. I load 200 grain lead SWCs, only.

Buy one box of each brand and test them in your weapon/s. If they run like greased ....., you get the idea, that's the type to buy. Watch for sales and buy when (if ever) the prices are right.

Buy a box or two each week/payday/month and pack them away. Back in the dark ages (45 or so years ago), I was stationed in central Montana and would buy a brick (500 rounds) of .22RFs each month ($3.78 per brick at Don's Sport Shop - don't know if it is still there). After 28 months I was transferred to upstate New York. I had maybe 4 or 5 boxes of .22s left (I think I still have some of those). So, put your SHTF ammo away or if your like everyone else, it will be gone.

Your best bet is to load your own. You will have better stuff for less cash. Build your loads with one batch of brass. Then load your stock with new or once fired brass.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to do run at least a couple boxes through your gun first just to be sure your gun likes it. I would hate to be sitting on 1000 rounds that my gun doesnt like.