JHP or FMJ

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dionysus03, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

So the question is which do you load in you CCW? Do you have a preference and a reason? I load alternating in my XDM 9mm. First round is FMJ then JHP and so on.
    I do this because there are instances of decreases in penetration with JHP. I like the alternating load because it can aid in compensating for this. Although I could be off the mark - comments would help too.
    As a side note I have tested this and had no issues with feeding or firing. Just wondering how everybody rolls? Thanks.

2. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

I carry JHP in my weapon with 2 extra mags one JHP and the other FMJ. I don't want to risk over penetration if I can help it but I also have options should I need them.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Jhp will not over penetrate unless the cavity
    Is clogged. Fmj will over penetrate just about every time. The only advantage I can see in fmj is barrier defeating capability. Hornady in my opinion has made the best of both worlds. The critical duty will not clog and will defeat all of the FBI test barriers and still maintain 12" to 16" of penetration. As of now it is probably the best out there.

4. THEMENACE

THEMENACE New Member

Depends on the gun, compact will be jhp in the gun and spare mags, while a fullsize will have jhp in the gun and fmj in the spare. Revolvers, jhp. Carbine in the truck, fmj.

THE MENACE

5. WIpoppie

WIpoppie New Member

Maybe so, but Critical Duty will not feed into my SA EMP40. The "rubber tip" appears to be the problem. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

My opinion I would put it up for adoption. I don't like it when they complain about what I feed them. I love my xd45 but if it did not run everything I put through it, then it would have went back.

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Hold on
    How long is the barrel?

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well it should not cause a problem with feeding but the critical duty was designed to be used with full size guns. Barrel of about 4" or longer.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For most, I carry JHP backed up by FMJ

10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be happy with either. I don't buy the FMJ shoot trough argument someone is more likely to be hit with the rounds you miss with. Doesn't really matter here as you are only allowed to use FMJ for self defence that being the case the authorities must think they are effective enough.

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I live and work in a rural area. I use FMJ all the time. I see no need for a hollow point in my life. A pistol is just something to buy me time get a long gun anyway. To old to run.

12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Honestly I don't even consider it a question. I would never use anything except JHP in my SD gun. It's not a issue of over penetration or liability either. It's that Every bit empirical evidence I have seen says JHP is far superior to FMJ in stopping an assailant.

Alternating JHP and FMJ in one magazine or loading FMJ in backup mags makes no sense to me. FMJ does not stop better, it does not defeat body armor better, it does not really work through barriers better than modern bonded JHP.

I use FMJ for nothing except less expensive practice ammo.

13. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I carry an LCP and load it with Barnes 80 grain solid copper hollow points -- +P, 1300+ FPS out of a short barrel. If I ever shoot anybody with one I'll post how it did.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Critical Defense is the bees knees.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you 'preplan' a shoot out????:confused:
    MANY years ago I would carry fmj and jhp alternately in the magazine of my off duty gun (Browning HP), but as I began to test and research terminal ballistic of handgun bullets I found when a jhp strikes anything which can 'fill' the HP it will not expand and thus acts (penetrates) the same as a non-expanding bullet (because that it has became a non-expanding bullet:rolleyes:).
    To answer your question, use the best ammunition which is sold for self defense, which is not fmj:confused:, and hope you never need to use your PPD!!!!:(

16. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

JHP in weapon, FMJ for reloads. If I'm still shooting after 13 rounds, clearly I need more penetration

17. SWIll

SWIll New Member

Neither. 148 gr lead wadcutters in .38 spl work well for me out of a j-frame.

18. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

The funny thing is I almost included those in the initial question. But since I only have a Taurus Model 66 in .357 and don't carry it concealed. Though you can't go wrong with the wadcutters lol.

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago it was common practice to load the 148 gr hollow base WC BACKWARDS!:eek:
    They were a good for environments were over penetration could be a problem, like in crowds. I did witness the autopsy where one was used. It was a center chest hit and it expanded to about the size of a quarter and stopped at the back of the chest just short of the spine. It was fired from a 4 inch S&W and it was loaded to standard velocity, about 800-850 fps.
    I loaded (and still do) this bullet and tried it at different velocities up to 1200 fps in a 357 Mag. When you reach about 1000 fps it becomes very unstable and will key hole as close as 5 yds, and would not be accurate past about 15 yds. But it would be devastating to a human target, especially where over penetration could be a problem.

20. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Actually, it depends on the caliber. In .380, hollow point is known to underpenetrate, and FMJ is a much better choice. The OP was referring to his 9mm, and I would I would agree with you here.

You might want to reconsider for two reasons: (1) see above comment, and (2) the Ruger manual expressly recommends against the use of +P ammunition in the LCP.