Jerky Making

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by mach1337, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

ok didnt know where to put this since there isnt a food section lol. But im attempting to make Jerky for the first time with my dehydrator. the book it comes with only has recipes for there brand of jerky seasoning and it keeps talkin about cure. Thought salt was what most people use to make jerky and cure meat. any insite on this?

anyway i wanted to see if anyone had any good recipes for jerky. tryin some black pepper and sea salt and some teriyaki and some of the jerky seasoning that it came with. anyone else have some that they really like?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

3. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Thanks JonM good stuff there. And Skull no im not i have the jerky gun and all but not a fan of Formed Jerky maybe if I decided to make beef sticks but not jerky. using london broils just cut to about 1/4 in and then dryin. I HATE THIN JERKY! lol

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

make sure there is absolutely no fat. trim it really really well as fat turns rancid when jerking meat. its a taste you wont forget.

5. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

yeah thats what the butcher told me too. ended up with london broils for meat. 6 pounds for about 14 dollars not too bad.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ummm.......can I be the taste tester? I used to make my own beef jerky by thinly slicing very lean meat and drying it in the oven. Teriyaki is my favorite. I just don't do it anymore as it took me much longer to make it than to eat it. :(

7. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

maybe.... you sound just like me everytime i check the trays and rotate it i take the most done pieces off and instead of goin in the bag they go in my mouth lol

8. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Every big game season I buy the cabelas brand seasoning mix. I mix lightly smoke and then dry....Good mix and process = AWSOME jerky!!!