jennings j22 ?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jamesrea68, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jamesrea68

jamesrea68 New Member

ok so about a week ago i went to the range to just have some fun with my rifles and pistols and i went to go shoot my jennings j22 , so ok i got a few rounds perfectly shot and then a jam now i know how a jennings jams like crazy but is there any way i can modify my jennings to stop it from jamming :eek:

2. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Nope. :(

Look at this. It's a 9mm and a Jennings as well, but the same results can be expected.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/jennings-9mm-9913/

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

jennings are one of those pistols you buy when you look at the price...and nothing else.

5. murphyreedus

murphyreedus New Member

Depends on how it's jamming - feed or eject?. I've found that these things like a little bit nicer ammo. I picked up one super cheap that was listed as a "gunsmith special single shot". It jams like mad with any bulk ammo, but runs CCI Minimags without fail, including rapid fire.

I take it out every once and a while and round a hundred rounds through it. I probably have 5-600 rounds through it now. A lot of fun for a cheap little gun. Still have all my fingers, too!

I'd recommend posting this on the Jennings forum instead of a general firearms forum if you want better responses than "Sell it it's junk":

bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: Index

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

OMG- Them things have their own fourm :confused:

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

the only modifacation you can make is to sell it, and use the $50 or $60 dollars you get towards a new gun.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Trying CCI mini-mags is a good idea, as they're far and away the best solution to finicky rimfires.

Everything I've heard about Jennings is terrible. But when it comes to cheapo little 22s, I have heard generally good things about Phoenix Arms. Just a thought in case you want to replace it with something similar.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Clean it well, light lube, minimags or CCI Stingers. Other than that, it is what it is.

10. cauterizer

cauterizer New Member

Jennings..you can't polish a cowpie..but you can nickel plate it

I bought a J22 new in '92...and it jammed every single time i shot it regardless of ammo type..I was able to clean the inside of the slide up with a fine hone stone so it would at least operate as a semi-auto and not a single shot. Then it would only cycle with CCI Stinger ammo. You'd be better off buying a Wrist Rocket Slingshot and a Blow-Gun, as far as I'm concerned the only strong point of the Jennings guns is Unreliability. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a J-22. I bought it when I was poor. I actually had to save up the 50 bucks it cost me back then. It would have taken years to get something better. I found that CCI Velocitors worked even better than Stingers. Mine would cycle pretty reliably with either. But anything cheap would jam with every shot. Don't get me wrong...Jennings are crap. But if that is all you have, then that is all you have. Go to the range and make the best of it.

12. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

If I was buying a saturday night special in .22LR Id be going for the phoenix hp22a , much better gun for the money. and they are hungry little guns that will eat pretty much whatever you feed them .... on the internet you can findem for 125 out the door + your ffl transfer and backround at local dealer . they are pot metal guns but everyone ive ever known that owned one loved it . great little plinker. only down side is all the goofy safeties , theres one that is recommended you disable I think its the mag safety or somthing so you can rack the slide with the mag out for breakdown,

jennings are ghetto blasters . every jennings I even owned was junk

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Turn it into a paper weight or throw it someones head??

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

14. mcb

mcb New Member

I inherited one in the 90s along with a Colt Trooper mkIII, Taurus PT 92, and Winchester 101. I have shot it a few times, I still have all my fingers. I was warned to use good ammo ( cci mini mags) it works fine. I've only tried it at a range once I could not hit a 4 ft piece of cardbord consistently from 25 ft, when I did the bullet tumbled onto the Target sideways.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

3 outta 4 is not bad ;)

16. mcb

mcb New Member

Amen brother:)

17. seanbuckshot

seanbuckshot New Member

I was once a proud owner of a j-22 and I can say I never really had an issue with jamming but I planted a round in the ground by my feet. A slam fire is a bad thing, but it only happened once. I was impressed with the accuracy for such a short barrel I actually mutilated a pop can at 20 yards. Besides the one slamfire I loved my Jennings butI think that I was lucky.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Jennings are striker fired pistols. The firing pin spring controls the timing of the pistol. Jennings doesn't have a firing pin spring they provide. They just cut the springs out of a piece of stock that is about twice the size that is required. Call Jennings and tell them what you have going on. They will send you a piece of spring stock.

Cut the spring stock several coils longer than the spring that is in the gun. Install the firing pin spring. Shoot it a few times. If it still jams cut a coil off the spring. Repeat this process until the gun runs perfectly. When you get about 2 coils longer than the original spring only cut a half a coil at a time.

If your Jennings is new it needs to be broke in just like any other pistol. If you bought it used make sure the slide is not bent. You can carry a Jennings in your front pocket but they don't fair so well in the back pocket. But not many mouse guns do fare well in the back pocket.

I have fixed several Jennings by this method. It will serve you well once you get it functioning well. I own a JA 22 that I have put several thousand rounds through without issue. Just clean it after each use. If it has sit for several months without any attention pop the slide off it and lubricate it before firing it. I don't recommend using grease on a Jennings. They are usually carried in the pocket. Lint gets in the grease and it will let you down at the worse possible moment.

People that can't fix a Jennings should not give advice on firearms repair. They must not understand how semi automatic pistols work. They are by far the easiest pistol to keep running flawlessly.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I caution the use of stingers.
    Even the manufacturer says it should only be used in certain chambers.
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0050

Most small semi-auto .22s suggest using HV ammo. Read the owner's manual and see if the Jennings does too.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Stingers and other high velocity ammo has never hurt my JA-22. I shoot mini mags in mine. It is a 22 you don't want a hollow point bullet for self defense. I shoot any bulk ammo I can get my hands on for target practice. Yes, it hangs up and has some duds. But every semi auto 22 I have ever seen hangs up and fails to fire with bulk ammo. You get what you pay for and you don't get a lot for .03.

You all are so quick to bash the JA-22 but I know several people that can buy any gun they want. They have a JA-22 to put in between bank bags when they close their business. These people hunt and belong to ranges. They could easy buy a better 22. If you talk junk about their lil JA-22 like you all do in this forum they would certainly tell you to go stand outside and see if it does all that. Unless you happened to have cash on hand. Then you would have to put your money where your mouth is and leave there broke.