jeeps

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, Oct 23, 2011.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Anybody into jeeps on here? Been thinking about getting one to play in. My buddy bought wrangler rubicon 4- door the other day and i thought it was cool. Id like to find an older one for a couple grand, a softop preferably. Just wondering if there were any jeepsters on here to give me advice.

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Get a Scout!!! ;):p:D

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yeah i like those too, a guy at work has a 97 wrangler that he might be sellin, needs a transfer case. Are they expensive or difficult to change?

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I've got a '46 CJ2A. Great little toy. What do you plan on doing with it? I don't wheel mine too hard but it will go just about anywhere. I also have an Early Bronco and my son is building up a Full-Size Bronco. You might take a look at The CJ2A Page Forums for some info on really old Jeeps. Great forum with some really nice people, much like this one.

My '46 turns heads every single time I am driving it and has been the catalyst for some really great (if not brief sometimes) conversations. When we are traveling in the RV we tow it on an open trailer behind the rig, almost every time we stop anywhere for any reason it strikes up a conversation with somebody. More often than not we will pull up and park at a Wal=Mart or whatever and as we are getting out somebody will walk up and my wife will say "I'll go ahead and catch up with you back here when I'm done shopping." It never fails that that is exactly what happens. An hour or so later I am still rag chewing out there when she gets done shopping.

I highly recommend one of the older more unique Jeeps out there. I looked at several when I bought mine and one of the other s that got high marks from me was the CJ6 which is a long-wheelbase Jeep. I still want to pick one of those up.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

My son wants a used Wrangler (2-door) and I'm thinking about a Liberty 4x4. If anyone has suggestions on what models or years to avoid, please post!

6. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Got me a 95 zj with a 5.2, IRO 3" lift, np231 swap, thorley headers, and a kolak exhaust. :D

It's a fun toy

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

T-Case is not at all hard to replace. You might check into a different case though, some of them are garbage. Stay away from anything that is a full-time 4WD T-Case. If you want to do some hard-core 4 wheeling you should look into something like an Atlas, or perhaps a Dana 20 with Bronco low range. Depending on what you replace it with you might have to have the driveshafts altered.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

They can be costly and usually arnt hard to change but I never worked on anything that new... (The "newest" 4x4 ive had was a Samurai)

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I wont be wheeling it too hard but i will do some trail riding. I like the four dour wranglers because i have one kid and do plan on having more in the future. Wranglers are really the only jeeps i like, i want a softop with pop off doors. My buddies rubicon is hardtop but you can pick and chose which sections of the roof you want to remove as well as all the doors.

If the boss (wife) lets me id like to buy an older one thats ready to go for a couple k and keep my pickup but if i get a newer four door ill sell my pickup. If i keep my pu and get an older two door model then i wouldnt be scared to ford a creek or wheel it a little harder. Just wont wanna tear up my ride to work

10. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Wrangle are usually 10k starting. Unless you're going REALLY old. You might look into the Cherokee instead. 3k and you can get one as loaded as they came, then you won't feel bad cutting into it, rolling it, or leaving it on the trail for a few days until things dry out enough to recover it. You'll certainly get your moneys worth and they have enough mods now that you can make them do almost anything you want.

Just another point of attack to consider.

EXPENDABLE

11. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Check our Jeepz.com the is a ton of great jeep discussions there.

I'd recommend a Jeep TJ. It will be tough to find any Jeep for a couple grand, and fixing one can be expensive. Better to find one running. Remember, JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket.

12. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

My friend has a magenta wrangler and that thing can go anywhere.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got a Liberty 4x4 (2004). It is a little too blingy, a little too cushy and nice, though, to really think of it as an off-roader.

It is very reliable, too. Unless you count the transmission that completely blew up this year and cost $3800 to replace.:rolleyes:

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I too have always wanted a Jeep, but the one I want is a green Willies with the white star on the hood. I had a girlfriend in high school who had one (less the star) and damn if she wouldn't marry me.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Theres a willys with the white star and white military lettering in my hometown, the gm dealer has it. I stopped and looked at it today but the only sticker thats on it is the as is warranty sticker, no price or year and they were closed. Are those willys 2 or 4 wd, i know ww2 willys were 4 wd, 4 cyl manual but not sure about the new ones. The one i looked at was a manual tho

16. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

+1!

The bad thing about Jeeps is, you never know what the previous owner(s) have done or where they have taken that vehicle.

If you are building one from the ground up, then all you need is a good tub. Daily driver with some light to mild off roading, need to do some homework and take your time.

I love my 2006 TJ, and I LOVE the 4.0L straight 6! One of the best engines ever made.

A Jeep is like a 1911 or an AR. You can build one from the ground up, however you like it and to do just about whatever job you're looking to accomplish.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  17. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Have wanted a jeep for years. Almost got one before I got married. Was thinking about getting a good used jeep next spring, but hit a snag on that this past spring when we got a 2011 4 door soft top. Wish we had done that years ago. Now, when I go out to shoot, that is what I load up. Hard to top a day of playing in mud and shooting!

18. adjusterr

adjusterr New Member

About 7 years ago I wanted a hunting vehicle and was directed to a Gov't website, GSA Auctions®, General Services Administration, Government Site for Auctions . I bought a 96 Jeep Cherokee that was a National Park Service Police vehicle in Ohio. The Jeep had every driveline option available, full time and part time 4WD that can be locked to run all 4 wheels at once, rear locking differential, full skid plates, extended idle for overheating prevention, consisting of an extra electric fan and increased idle speed via dash switch, the original window sticker is full of options, too numerous to mention but one is a Police Special package. I can tell you it loves gas but will run on the highway with my 2008 Ford F250 Superduty, the thing will fly. I have taken this Cherokee into some really rough terrain, including mud, and it never let me down. I don't beat up my vehicles but I take them where I want to go and the Cherokee will go anywhere I have the nerve to take it. A Cherokee might not be as kool as some other models bet they are a lot less expensive and parts, both OEM and aftermarket, are available anywhere. I'm seeing more and more Cherokees on trailers going to rock climbing events. Check out the GSA website.

Attached Files:

19. adjusterr

adjusterr New Member

Jeep

Anyone interested in a Jeep cherokee exactly like the one in my previous post, there is one listed. Google GSA Auctions.gov then click on the auto section, go to page 6. The current bid is about $2500. This is exactly like the one I bought except it is a 2000, mine is a 1996. These things are great vehicles. The bidding on this Jeep ends in 2 days.

20. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Not a jeep guy. I'm looking for a good Scout or Dodge Power Wagon.